Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What marginal prospect do you collect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Do you collect a marginal prospect (not destined to be a superstar) drafted in the last 5 or 6 years just for fun? Is there a player that you collect and most of the time if his cards are listed on ebay you are most likely the only bidder (or one of two bidders)? If so, who?

To clarify...please only post names of players you are still actively collecting.

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA
Collin Balester. At one point he was the National's #1 prospect which was due to how bare their system was. They have converted him to the bullpen and has just been horrendous all season thus far.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Derek2011 said:
Collin Balester. At one point he was the National's #1 prospect which was due to how bare their system was. They have converted him to the bullpen and has just been horrendous all season thus far.

I've got some Balester for you then (if you want to pay shipping).

I collect Austin Kirk and Alex Wilson. I just liked their stuff when it came out and apparently no one else did.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
Yes, a few:

Daniel Carte - I believe he was released, and has subsequently retired.
Joe Koshansky - Tremendous power, and was on par to take the first basemen job ('08 Todd Helton disastor); but no go, come '09 Spring. Now in the Brewers system.
Ryan Speier - Had some healthy years with the Rox, in their 'pen. I bought an AFL jersey of his, from him.

1. I am looking for the Daniel Carte '05 red-refractor 1/1
2. I am looking for the '06 Red base 1/1
3. I am looking for the TC '05 superfractor.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Not sure if he's considered a "marginal" prospect since he's in his organization's top 10 year in and year out but mine is Michael Burgess. I'm a glutton for punishment. When his stuff goes to auction I rarely see anything base, ref, or xfrac garner more than 3-5 bids. I have more than enough, but I honestly believe his stuff is undervalued for a player with his potential for power so I keep buying. I'm up to 25 or so Base, Ref, X, and Blue Ref Chrome autos.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Matt McBride, and while is is playing well this year, he isn't much of a "prospect" in standard terms.

I would imagine that he'd be a lock to get called up in September if he was on the 40-man roster...but he isn't at this point. So there is still a chance he'll get the call, after a promotion to AAA a few weeks ago, he's raking almost .380 with a .938 OPS.

He was a Round 2s college guy in 2006 out of Lehigh.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Chad Huffman. 2006 BCDP auto.
Have I think 4 base, 3 refs, and a blue!
Maybe have about $50 into everything.

Thought when he got called up earlier with NYY there would be some sort of spike but it was miniscule so I hung onto everything.

Hoping he can make it back and I will unload all but a base and ref.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Pat Bresnehan. Played with him growing up. Actually did pretty well as the closer at AA, but don't think he ever got much higher than that.

Jedi500

Jan 2, 2009
Matt Mangini....have a bunch of sterling and chrome autos..stuff goes for nothing and he isn't THAT bad..

ahodge84

Jun 12, 2010
Lincoln, NE
Mark Wagner, catcher in the Red Sox org. He's 26 and was in AAA, but is now rehabbing with the short-season Lowell Spinners after an injury-plagued 2010.

Kardkollector46

Aug 7, 2008
Connecticut
Mike Madsen :lol:
Jared Goedert (Used to be marginal before his HUGE year this year)
Josh Butler (Some ML time at least, struggling now)

and soon

Pat Dean! Local kid coming out in 2010 BCDP! :D

DSman

Aug 8, 2008
Duane Below - AA Tigers. He is a friend of mine.
I have the black plate, 3 of 5 red refractors, 2 orange, 8 gold, 4 blue, 8 X, 5 reg refractors and a ton of base 08 BC cards. I also have a number of 08 tristar projections of his too.

Members online

Latest posts