Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Now that Topps A&G is five years old, is it here to stay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I realize nothing lasts forever and nothings guaranteed.

Do you feel that A&G will be an annual release going forward?

I was a huge Topps Turkey Red supporter for the first two releases,
Then the third one sucked, and then they cancelled it altogether

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I could be wrong, but i do not feel this was not a strong product this year. They might be running out of ideas.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Turkey Red currently exists as an insert in base Topps, so we know it didn't go away. But maybe it will be on its own again someday...its great that it didn't disappear though. IMO a bunch of other releases could be folded into other existing releases just like Turkey Red.

I don't think A&G's sales/profits are low enough for Topps to pull it or replace it though.

ThoseBackPages said:
I realize nothing lasts forever and nothings guaranteed.

Do you feel that A&G will be an annual release towing forward?

I was a huge Topps Turkey Red supporter for the first two releases,
Then the third one sucked, and then they cancelled it altogether

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
it sells well and has a strong following - i can't see it going away anytime soon.

it's the most popular retro product around, in any sport.

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
The other thing to consider is the costs associated with A&G... printing minis isn't as expensive compared to, say, getting 1000 autographs of 30 different guys for a bowman checklist. And I think the brand is plenty successful and has developed enough of a following to ensure it is here to stay.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
ThoseBackPages said:
brouthercard said:
it sells well and has a strong following - i can't see it going away anytime soon.

it's the most popular retro product around, in any sport.

More popular then Heritage?

By far, at least where i'm at.

I will get a box or two of heritage every year cause they look neat, and occasionally put a set together, but Allen and Ginter I will crush through at least two cases every year, and there are others at my local shop that will do the same.

They really have no interest in topps heritage anymore.

The hits yield is so much better and gratifying for A and G, and i think the novelty cards help put it over the edge.

Besides, who could get tired of the N28 design? It's one of the most beautiful of all time.

What's up next for heritage? 62, then 63 next year? yawn..........then we get into the uninspired 64's and the ugly 65-69's, then back to the bland 70's, then, well, let's just say heritage is going to be pretty sad until they get back to the 52 design again, which won't be for another forty years......

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I know Heritage has a strong following. But I would guess Allen Ginter is twice as strong. I think as long as Topps has MLB rights to produce cards. Ginter will be made.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I LOVED 2004 Topps Cracker Jack. I was upset when they came out with a 2005 version.

I originally felt similarly about A&G, but it has evolved quite nicely. I don't know that it is here to stay, but I'm pretty sure we'll see it next year.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I collect both every year. Topps has watered down heritage every year since 2001. They are seeing where the
breaking point is. Not only are the autograph odds 1-2 per case in heritage, the checklist is now full of nobodies.
Topps explains this as trying to introduce playering into cards that haven't had autographs before, I call it
watering down. Heritage used to never be found very long on retail shelves, now I see 08 and sometimes 07.
Dealers aren't going to continue to get wasted on these and set collectors can always get this stuff off ebay.
I can't think of a reason to open packs of heritage anymore, even though I think the comment above that the
sets of the 60's wern't popular is way off.

Ginter was an absolute beast the past two years. 08 was a dud, but topps came back huge last year and this
year. If you buy a good amount you are bound to hit a massive card AND still have plenty of minis that many
collectors are looking for. There is so much in ginter to collect that it is almost overwelming, but you have
choices.

I think both will be around for a while.

Kevin

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
A&G absolutely ROCKED its first year. Many awesome names, both baseball and non. Every year since though, it has gone down and down IMO. I mean look at the checklist recently. Pales in comparison to what it was. I bought one box this year out of curiosity, but quickly lost interest.

It will last a few more years (maybe more) but will never be what it was.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Maybe they should make a RIP set,
Every pack in a box is a rip card and every card in the set have a mini card in it..
and make different color parallels with each set..

They can make an all exclusive mini set from the cards just from inside the rip..

yanxchick

Dec 5, 2009
I really dislike Allen and Ginter. I haven't ripped a box of this in a long time because the idea of getting a Ferris Wheel or Revolving Door is just not appealing to me. I don't think those cards should be part of the base set. I know why they have non-baseball cards and even non-sports cards, but it doesn't appeal to me.

-Sooz

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
yanxchick said:
I really dislike Allen and Ginter. I haven't ripped a box of this in a long time because the idea of getting a Ferris Wheel or Revolving Door is just not appealing to me. I don't think those cards should be part of the base set. I know why they have non-baseball cards and even non-sports cards, but it doesn't appeal to me.

-Sooz

Neither do I, same with the dead guys... leave them out and replace them with oddball Champions.

I thought it was stupid when first released in '06, and in '07 I caved and went to buy a few packs but they were gone, so in '08 I bought some, it was my favorite base design. I hated last years design... it was so stupid with the border... but I did buy a lot. This year I cleaned out most of the gravity box at Wal-Mart and I am working on it again.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
I like the design, but have not bought a pack in a few months. If I bust anything it will be next years Topps base. I have just been buying the complete base sets off of ebay.

stalegum

Aug 13, 2010
NoVA,SoJers
Casebusters said:
Every pack in a box is a rip card and every card in the set have a mini card in it..

They already made an all rip card set. It was called 1998 Zenith.

About a month later, Pinnacle Brands went bankrupt.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
stalegum said:
Casebusters said:

They already made an all rip card set. It was called 1998 Zenith.

About a month later, Pinnacle Brands went bankrupt.

Yes, I know pinnacle made the rip cards12 years ago.
I think TOPPS making an all RIP card set now would be neat, since everyone loves the A&G Rip cards nowadays,

Members online