Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What a find

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
It's an amazing find. The shop is about three block from where I live. I've been in there a lot as a kid looking at old baseball cards but never came across anything I ever liked. I haven't been to that shop in about 10 years though, great story.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Great story - thanks for putting up the link. I just saw the bit about the Cincy Redstockings on Ken Burns' Baseball on MLBtv. I think they actually even showed the photo on that card. I remember wondering whether there were any old cards from that era while watching it. Now I know the answer!

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
bottom left in my scan below.. I have the perfect compliment to that card from the 1994 UD Jumbo GOLD set.

trade062.jpg

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
thats an unbelievable find. Imagine having the first baseball card produced. 4040 thats an awesome looking card aswell

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
What a great story.......thanks for sharing!

I just went to ebay to see if it was listed yet. In the search box I typed in "Red Stockings." I didn't see the card but saw a whole lot more than I anticipated!!!

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
1st4040 said:
bottom left in my scan below.. I have the perfect compliment to that card from the 1994 UD Jumbo GOLD set.

trade062.jpg

Would you mind very much sending me the info on that card bud? Year, # etc. It is something I might consider framing for my office...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
She's almost as old as the card, LOL, but good for her. That card looks like the kind of card one would find buried in a lot!

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
shanks25 said:

I just went to ebay to see if it was listed yet. In the search box I typed in "Red Stockings." I didn't see the card but saw a whole lot more than I anticipated!!!

:shock:

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
shanks25 said:

I just did the search and was pleased with the results. ;)

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
EmeraldRain said:
That's a neat story and an amazing find. Thanks for the read!

~UD should buy this card and cut it up, put it into cards, so we can all enjoy it~
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

sevencostanza

Dec 9, 2008
In the meantime, Gallego didn't want the card to get lost, so she put it in a sandwich bag and push-pinned it to her laundry room wall.

Fantastic.

Great article, thanks for the read.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
1st4040 said:

Magic Papa recently sent me that card and I currently have it on display, it's one of my favorite cards in my Reds Collection.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Re: Woman finds 139-year-old baseball card in box of antiques

lol, I believe this is the third time it was posted :lol:

Members online