Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

$20 mil worth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
so this is what $20 mill get you these days
Ryan Howard $19MIL
G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Season 105 411 65 120 17 5 23 82 34 108 1 1 .292 .355 . 526 .881
Career 836 3094 530 869 153 16 245 721 440 985 11 4 .281 .373 .578 .951

Projected 145 568 90 166 23 7 32 113 47 149 1 1 .292 .355 .526 .881

A-ROD $33 MIL
112 427 58 113 27 2 21 97 45 78 4 3 .265 .333 .485 .818

JETER $22.6 MIL
121 516 87 143 24 3 9 56 44 78 14 4 .277 .339 .388 .727

as Jim McMann would say
OUTRAGEOUSNESS!!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
nosterbor said:
Ryan Howard $19MIL

A-ROD $33 MIL

JETER $22.6 MIL

as Jim McMann would say
OUTRAGEOUSNESS!!

Care to post carrer stats of the other guys?

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
vwnut13 said:
nosterbor said:
Ryan Howard $19MIL

A-ROD $33 MIL

JETER $22.6 MIL

as Jim McMann would say
OUTRAGEOUSNESS!!

Care to post carrer stats of the other guys?
thats not the point. A-Rod and Jeter are being paid for those stats for this year. thats twice the Pirates TOTAL payroll!!!!!!!! i would not have signed them at all and let them walk! and Howard??? thats a complete JOKE!

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Career stats mean nothing when you get old
Ask Frank Thomas,Sheffield and others the game has gone the way of younger/cheaper
Old high priced veterans who are on the decline dont help much

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
$20 Million doesn't get you this year's stats, it gets you the previous years of the contract too. I don't know the answer to these questions, so feel free to answer.

Was Howard under this contract when the Phillies won the WS?
Was A-Rod under this contract when the Yankees won the WS?
Was Jeter under this contract when the Yankees won the WS?

Contracts are always built to bust inflation, which obviously causes inflation, so you'll end up with absurd numbers after the first couple of years.

Jeter's probably the most overpaid player in the game but who knows how much he contributes to the media empire that is the Yankees. If a Yankee fan will spend 2000 bucks on a ticket, I'm sure they'll buy Derek Jeter endorsed Milk of Magnesia from Gate 23A.

I'm sure YES brings in the highest ad revenue of the bunch. Jeter's one of the few people that get that he's being paid to play baseball, but he's also being paid to represent the Yankees. He's charismatic and doesn't get into trouble which is probably worth 10M alone.

Baseball's always been a union game, and unions structure contracts exactly like this. You get paid like **** until you're one of them, but once you're one of them, you get paid like a king.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Why is it that anyone cares what a business owner pays their employees? There is plenty of baseball out there that isn't MLB where the players don't get paid all that much. Then again, why is it the owner of the business should be the only one making any money? You have a choice to buy their product.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
pigskincardboard said:
$20 Million doesn't get you this year's stats, it gets you the previous years of the contract too. I don't know the answer to these questions, so feel free to answer.

Was Howard under this contract when the Phillies won the WS?
Was A-Rod under this contract when the Yankees won the WS?
Was Jeter under this contract when the Yankees won the WS?

Contracts are always built to bust inflation, which obviously causes inflation, so you'll end up with absurd numbers after the first couple of years.

Jeter's probably the most overpaid player in the game but who knows how much he contributes to the media empire that is the Yankees. If a Yankee fan will spend 2000 bucks on a ticket, I'm sure they'll buy Derek Jeter endorsed Milk of Magnesia from Gate 23A.

I'm sure YES brings in the highest ad revenue of the bunch. Jeter's one of the few people that get that he's being paid to play baseball, but he's also being paid to represent the Yankees. He's charismatic and doesn't get into trouble which is probably worth 10M alone.

Baseball's always been a union game, and unions structure contracts exactly like this. You get paid like **** until you're one of them, but once you're one of them, you get paid like a king.

Exactly.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
How much do each of these guys bring in ticket receipts, tv revenue or merchandise sales?

Sometimes the contract isn't just related to performance, although I understand what you're saying.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Why is it that anyone cares what a business owner pays their employees? There is plenty of baseball out there that isn't MLB where the players don't get paid all that much. Then again, why is it the owner of the business should be the only one making any money? You have a choice to buy their product.
It's a good point, but this is a sport/hobby where even the most intangable things are attributed with a number, and how one performs by how much one gets paid is just one of thoes things to talk about. But in the context of the op, and most like this thread, it's just another way of taking a stab at the players/teams.

Jeter and Arod are worth every penny they make. They are both perennial all stars, both great team leaders, with plenty of post season history and sucess. Both are run producers and team contributers on both sides of the plate. But forget all their on field sucess/numbers. Both Put people in the stands, have fans tune in on TV/radio, and put NY Yankee/MLB licensed stuff in peoples shopping carts more so than 99.9% of other MLB'ers past or present. To the team, and mlb, they are worth every penny. And if you do not think thoes intangables are on the forefront of every team owners mind when negotiating a contract, your sadly mistaken.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
What pisses me off is a couple of MLB teams is paying Eric Byrnes $11 million's salary this year so he can go play recreational softball and be a goof on the MLB Network.

No one is going to say anything about it either because he is such a fan friendly, down-to-earth guy.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Bobby Bonilla is still on the Mets' payroll getting millions.

"The New York Mets placed Bonilla on unconditional waivers in 2000. He spent the 2000 season playing for the Atlanta Braves. The Mets agreed to pay out the remainder of Bonilla's contract by deferring the $5.9 million that he was due. The Mets will pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035. "

Lars said:
What pisses me off is a couple of MLB teams is paying Eric Byrnes $11 million's salary this year so he can go play recreational softball and be a goof on the MLB Network.

No one is going to say anything about it either because he is such a fan friendly, down-to-earth guy.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
matfanofold said:
justinmandawg said:
It's a good point, but this is a sport/hobby where even the most intangable things are attributed with a number, and how one performs by how much one gets paid is just one of thoes things to talk about. But in the context of the op, and most like this thread, it's just another way of taking a stab at the players/teams.

Jeter and Arod are worth every penny they make. They are both perennial all stars, both great team leaders, with plenty of post season history and sucess. Both are run producers and team contributers on both sides of the plate. But forget all their on field sucess/numbers. Both Put people in the stands, have fans tune in on TV/radio, and put NY Yankee/MLB licensed stuff in peoples shopping carts more so than 99.9% of other MLB'ers past or present. To the team, and mlb, they are worth every penny. And if you do not think thoes intangables are on the forefront of every team owners mind when negotiating a contract, your sadly mistaken.
sooo these guys are now PITCHMEN?? i liked Billy Mays but most of what he was hocking was junk and you do not buy the product if it does not work.they need to pay all the players $750k the better you play the more you make.there are way to many chumps in all sports that take the money and run. you want to make 33 mil you had better earn it, just like ANY JOB. if i do not do at work what i am paid to do guess what.FIRED!!!!

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
nosterbor said:
matfanofold said:
justinmandawg said:

sooo these guys are now PITCHMEN?? i liked Billy Mays but most of what he was hocking was junk and you do not buy the product if it does not work.they need to pay all the players $750k the better you play the more you make.there are way to many chumps in all sports that take the money and run. you want to make 33 mil you had better earn it, just like ANY JOB. if i do not do at work what i am paid to do guess what.FIRED!!!!

Then you aren't in a contract situation are you? The contracts can only be voided in certain situations. Get a job that has a contract and you won't have to worry about it. Why do you care what a team owner's bottom line looks like or how his employees do? It's a business and for most of the league, business is pretty good.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
justinmandawg said:
nosterbor said:
matfanofold said:
justinmandawg said:

Then you aren't in a contract situation are you? The contracts can only be voided in certain situations. Get a job that has a contract and you won't have to worry about it. Why do you care what a team owner's bottom line looks like or how his employees do? It's a business and for most of the league, business is pretty good.
no i do not sit behind a desk in an aircondition office telling people what to do. i WORK for a living and am very good at it. you are missing the WHOLE POINT.with what the Yankees payroll is to what the Rays payroll is. the Yankees should have CLINCHED already.the owners are not getting what they are paying for. and when they get BOMBED in the ist round of the playoffs you can sit back and ask, "what the hell did they get paid for"

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
nosterbor said:
justinmandawg said:
nosterbor said:
matfanofold said:
justinmandawg said:

no i do not sit behind a desk in an aircondition office telling people what to do. i WORK for a living and am very good at it. you are missing the WHOLE POINT.with what the Yankees payroll is to what the Rays payroll is. the Yankees should have CLINCHED already.the owners are not getting what they are paying for. and when they get BOMBED in the ist round of the playoffs you can sit back and ask, "what the hell did they get paid for"

And you can ask yourself which company Yankees vs Rays makes more money each year. I'm glad you work for a living but most people w/ contracts aren't sitting in an office telling people what to do. You are missing the point that these are businesses and as long as there is plenty of profit, winning is secondary.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes to an extent, but there's a signficant caveat - businesses are penalized when they don't do what they say they're going to do.

I don't mean just meeting earnings estimates. Some business sell themselves as 'family friendly', which helps them profit. In the particular case of the Yankees, winning isn't secondary: the Yankees sell themselves as winners, and it helps them profit. It also drives them into big contracts.

Might be digressing here a bit, but I understand what you're saying as well.

justinmandawg said:
And you can ask yourself which company Yankees vs Rays makes more money each year. I'm glad you work for a living but most people w/ contracts aren't sitting in an office telling people what to do. You are missing the point that these are businesses and as long as there is plenty of profit, winning is secondary.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think if thre were more than 10,000 fans willing to go to a game on any night that they would make more money?

Don't say, it's because there are less people in St. Pete. BOston sells out 35,000 seats everynight, and they are doing worse than the Rays.

I love listening to people whine about payroll. Invest into your team, help build a fanbase, and them money will come full circe.

How do you think George Steinbrenner built them up to where they are today? By whining and moaning thatother teams are better?

Jeter's contract was signed 10 yars ago. If you want to compare what the player is getting payed, look at the stats over the contrac, not a bad year.

OMG. How much is Cano getting payed! He was bad in 2008 OMG.

The Yankees have chosen to retain franchise guys. Why don't I hear you complaining about MAuer and his contract. He is getting payed $23M for what? How about Lackey and Beckett?

But I get it, you just dislike the Yankees because they are the Yankees. Baseball would be a much better sport if it wan't all about profits. It's not team salariesthat "ruin" the sport, its the owners that won't sign playrs just to pad their pockets.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
nosterbor said:
justinmandawg said:
nosterbor said:
matfanofold said:
justinmandawg said:

I'm sure there is someone you work with that would say that you're not worth the money you get paid. It's easy to criticize someone else from where you're standing.

These guys put asses in the seats. People come to see Jeter, Arod, Howard, Pujols, Ramirez and so on. They don't only get paid for playing, they get paid for what they do. What they do is make the team money from ticket sales, merchandising, public appearances and so on....in addition to playing good baseball.

Today, it's the whole package, it's not just about how they play on the filed. Other teams are starting to figure that out.

Welcome to business 101.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
nosterbor said:

Actually, the owners are getting exactly what they pay for, ROI, return on investment. The owners and any stockholders are making a profit, and lots of it. To them the winning is secondary as long as the profits come in. When the profits disappear contracts will change or a greater investment will be made to win and increase the potential ROI. But at this point the team can handle the payroll and make money, this is the real world, the contracts are not just about playing a game, they encompass all aspects of the business. So even if a guy tanks as long as his intangible assets bring in profits, his contract is valid, and that is what the players you mention are able to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts