Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player wants his card for mom!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy8parlay

Jun 24, 2010
Haven't been on in a couple weeks because I am getting ready to go to college and have been selling some of my collection to pay for it. At 38 years old, these are the things you have to do. Over the past few months I've put together a really nice Matt Rizzotti collection. Well, now most of it's on ebay. Including the 1/1 printing plate that I purchased off Aaron41984 a couple weeks ago. I'm asking a bit much for it because I really don't want to sell it. It's one of my first 1/1's.

Tonight I get a message on ebay regarding the card, here it is:

Hi,

Kinda a weird question. My mom would really like to buy this
item and she doesn't have the money for it. I see your asking
price and I also dont have the money for it. I was wondering and
here comes my weird question: is there any chance I can get you
to lower the price on it and I send you something to make up for
the difference?

I know its crazy but my mom likes to collect baseball cards and
this one is really special to her. For years she's been looking for
printing plates of her favorite player and it seems like you have
one.

If anything can be done, please let me know. I'm sorry for the
weirdness of the question!

Sincerely,

Matt Rizzotti

Now, what are the odds of this being Matt Rizzotti?? Well, he has a facebook account. So I sent him a message on his facebook account asking if he was the same person asking the question on ebay about his card.

So we'll see if I get a response from him on this subject hopefully soon, then I'll let you guys know.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Really he doesn't have the money, or he doesn't want to dish out the money and would rather use his autograph as trade bait ;)

Either way very interesting indeed on many accounts!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
craiger122003 said:
I hope it works out for you trade the card for
a couple auto bats plus some jerseys you should end up well
Yes if in fact that was him then you can barter for something worth more then the card. And I would in a heart beat.

But I found this part to be a little off.

I know its crazy but my mom likes to collect baseball cards and
this one is really special to her. For years she's been looking for
printing plates of her favorite player and it seems like you have
one.

Um yeah a favorite player. Your her son. :D This was just wording kind of funny to me.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
VizquelCollector said:
beefycheddar said:
Minor leaguers aren't millionaires yet.

Au contraire. A lot of minor leaguers have made millions, whether from a signing bonus or salary throughout their career.

Rizzotti isn't.

You realize that the minor league salary for ALL minor leaguers - despite whatever bonus they get - is less than $2k per month?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
VizquelCollector said:
beefycheddar said:

Au contraire. A lot of minor leaguers have made millions, whether from a signing bonus or salary throughout their career.

Rizzotti isn't.

You realize that the minor league salary for ALL minor leaguers - despite whatever bonus they get - is less than $2k per month?

Plus when they get a signing bonus and buy a car/house with it that can be a lot of their bonus.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
hopefully this goes without saying but absolutely 100% avoid this unless you get 100% confirmation from the horse's mouth. the whole thing seems very sketchy. seriously, if you dont hear from Rizzotti, dont do it.

crazy8parlay

Jun 24, 2010
I think it is him because I was just looking at the feedback for the ebay username.

He's purchased a left handed first baseman's glove and a few wooden bats over the past 14 months. The glove is the key being he is a lefty first baseman glove.

We'll see what happens. Don't know why mom would want a printing plate though. Pretty ugly card with a bad photo of her son.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Well think about...

She can get an auto of him ANY DAY... but a 1/1 printing plate is rare for her.

crazy8parlay said:
I think it is him because I was just looking at the feedback for the ebay username.

He's purchased a left handed first baseman's glove and a few wooden bats over the past 14 months. The glove is the key being he is a lefty first baseman glove.

We'll see what happens. Don't know why mom would want a printing plate though. Pretty ugly card with a bad photo of her son.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
crazy8parlay said:

Because its her son is the reason, She must be very proud of her son and I could see why.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Jeff N. said:
VizquelCollector said:
beefycheddar said:

Rizzotti isn't.

Yes, I realize that most don't make a lot of $. More than a few on my local Columbus Clippers live with host families, in fact. I didn't mean to hijack the thread so this'll be my last. My point was the blanket statement that minor leaguers aren't millionaires isn't true. Sure most aren't, but there certainly are millionaires in the minors.

crazy8parlay

Jun 24, 2010
Agreed. But it is an ugly card. Not because of him, just the overall look of most plates is aweful. But I agree, if I were a her I would probably want all the rare cards of him that I could find also. Just that the Red, Orange and Gold ones are so much nicer.

Rizzotti's signing bonus was $120,000. And that was 3 years ago. So I'd imagine that money is gone.

Was hoping he'd get called up this September. But a sprained wrist might stop that from happening.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
Stay away...this is a business. If your selling your collection to pay for college you don't have a vast sum of money yourself. Don't get caught up in the hype.

crazy8parlay

Jun 24, 2010
BrewerSuperCollector said:
Stay away...this is a business. If your selling your collection to pay for college you don't have a vast sum of money yourself. Don't get caught up in the hype.

Seriously, why even bother commenting??? Stop drinking that Leverne and Shirley beer!

Latest posts