Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anybody know which is real/fake? 1985 Mcgwire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minors4me

Apr 16, 2010
SANY1266.jpg[/img]does anybody know which one of these 1985 chong modesto A's mark mcgwire cards is the real deal. also if you own a SGC copy of this card could you please post a pic, i would really appreciate it. thanks

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
My guess is the small one.

You really expect someone to be able to help with those pics?
Like LWMM said, either post a larger pic and hit up the MMCT

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Much larger now, thanks.

Both look to be graded; do you doubt the authenticity of one of them?

josephcb09

Apr 1, 2009
I know both are graded but I doubt the authenticity of both of them.

I have several copies graded by psa and bgs that I believe to be post production as well. The one i have that I am sure is real has a darker background.

The best way to buy an authentic chrong McGwire at the this point is to buy one with the complete set. As far as I know, they didn't reprint the whole set when the original plates were purchased and they started printing more.

Also to my knowledge the error version as never been reprinted and the plates were destroyed in 85

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
There is an obvious difference in the 2 you show above, cropping (easiest to see on his right arm sleeve, the 3rd stripe down where it touches the logo, above the "M" in "MODESTO")

Dont know anything about the card except it has little value NOW. It looks like PSA has slabbed a ton of reprints or something.

Here is a link
http://members2.boardhost.com/mcgwire/m ... 89222.html

These below are like the card on the right in your pic

PSA10 offered for a BIN or $14
http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-Chong-Modesto-As-Mark-McGwire-17-PSA-10-Rookie-/110571953959

This guy has 5 of them, all PSA9 for $15 OBO
http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-Chong-Modesto-As-MARK-McGWIRE-Minor-RC-PSA-9-RARE-/300398136831

Then you have this card (below), that is completely different from the 2 you show....... it shows far more of the photo on left side, but less on right side, and has a much darker sky when compared to the border.
mod85.jpg

This is an obvious case that buying a slabbed card does not guarantee its authentic.

Dec 10, 2008
josephcb09 said:

I have several copies graded by psa and bgs that I believe to be post production as well. The one i have that I am sure is real has a darker background.

The best way to buy an authentic chrong McGwire at the this point is to buy one with the complete set. As far as I know, they didn't reprint the whole set when the original plates were purchased and they started printing more.

Also to my knowledge the error version as never been reprinted and the plates were destroyed in 85

What he said. Of the versions I own, the only one I am 100% positive as being authentic is the one with the dark background. It also is the only version that is always on normal cardstock, where the lighter background copies are on more of a poster paper type stock.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Considering the absurd quantity of graded McGwires from this set on eBay, and the total absence of any of the rest of the singles from this set in the market, I'd consider any copy of the McGwire to be counterfeit (or reprint or post-production) unless personally pulled from a complete set.

And should anyone have such a broken set, I'd be very interested in the Steve Howard!

minors4me

Apr 16, 2010
josephcb09 said:

i have several complete sets of the light and dark background (i don't own the error set) every mcgwire that i've pulled out of the light background sets has looked like the one on the left, and i have never seen another graded copy that looked like it. i spent a lot of time looking and you don't come across examples like the one on the left very often, on the other hand the one on the right you can find anywhere anytime.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Huge thanks to you, sir, for pointing out the Steve Howard that hit eBay. I'm sorely tempted to pick up the rest of the singles and put them up on Sportlots and COMC to see what they'd bring.

Dec 10, 2008
One of my favorite cards, signed in 1985. Can't imagine there are too many of these actually signed in 1985, as almost all were getting the Topps USA signed when given the chance.

1985-Chong.jpg

Members online

Latest posts