Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UD World of Sports - new multisport product

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
http://magazine-exchange.com/product_do ... tHobby.pdf

Looks interesting but according to a checklist I found there are 400 base cards and every single one has an autograph. So 2 autos per box with 12 in a case gets you 24/400. Not very good odds for something nice... and it doesn't contain dual mem/autos from players in different sports like UD Superstars did with city based cards. So I guess this is their replacement for Goudey.

jmagic87

Sep 27, 2008
Mass
for those who are into opther sports stuff / odd ball baseball player stuff this set looks good if the MSRP is not TO high ill prob grab a box

what uwanna bet MOST of those multi autos that are 1 per case 99% are goona be duals with .75% being triples and mayb .25% being quads

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
With the lack of licenses, but the Multi-Sport big name exclusives they still have......seems like a good idea by UD and looks like it could be worthwhile.

I kind of dig that it's "multi-sport" too....and they didn't feel the need to throw in celebrity stuff or something like that. If i have some funds I'd most likely give a box a try.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
It sounds good.... but most of the sports stars will be in Team USA or college jerseys. They cant do NFL, MLB or NBA correct... looking at the sell sheet the Crosby is the only card with a team logo.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Is it safe to assume that Jeter is no longer associated with UD?

First the GU in Topps, now he doesnt have a card in this set.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
While I love sets like this, this does feel like a "last gasp / cash grab" type offering. I have to ask this question: do we really need a Missy Hyatt insert card?

Also, how many of the parallel autographed cards will end up being redemptions? If they are able to pack out nearly all signatures, it may even get me to buy a box or 2. If there are a ton of redemptions, no way in hell.

jeffmu

Nov 11, 2008
Just for clarity, it's auto's of all BASE cards, correct, noticed in one of the subsets that Strasburg was in it(who I may mistakenly think is a Topps exclusive), plus Capt Lou Albano is listed, he passed away earlier this year ( I guess they could do cuts for a parallel).

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I noticed that as well. Unless they are the TBD guys.

Roy Birchler said:
vwnut13 said:
Is it safe to assume that Jeter is no longer associated with UD?

First the GU in Topps, now he doesnt have a card in this set.

Griffey is missing, too.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
Sean_C said:
The late 80's - early 90's Missy was hot. Since then, not so much (even the ECW Missy was a trainwreck).

JoshHamilton said:
[quote="Sean_C":tb7n9osy]do we really need a Missy Hyatt insert card?

YES. YES WE DO
[/quote:tb7n9osy]

They should have had one of Trish instead :D

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Sean_C said:
While I love sets like this, this does feel like a "last gasp / cash grab" type offering. I have to ask this question: do we really need a Missy Hyatt insert card?

Also, how many of the parallel autographed cards will end up being redemptions? If they are able to pack out nearly all signatures, it may even get me to buy a box or 2. If there are a ton of redemptions, no way in hell.

Why is this a last gasp? Could it not be the evolution of a company? UD could rebuild and establish themselves in a sports market outside of baseball yet bring along their previous baseball collectors. People buying baseball now might be willing to take a risk on Track people a-la Allen Ginter.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Just my opinion, George. It's certainly an evolution for them, something they certainly need to do. I'm one of those odd-duck collectors that like products like this (I loved that UD Superstars set they released a few years back), and love the idea of an all parallel autograph base set (something I wish more companies would try to do, but I understand that it's cost prohibitive).

My main reason for feeling like it's a last gasp type product is the checklist; it's a little TOO inclusive and scattershot. Like Duke basketball? We've got Laettner, Ferry, and Hurley for you. Like college baseball? We've got Josh Fields. Like disgraced baseball heroes? Rose and Jose are here for you. Like hockey? We're packing it with everyone we have.

If it is as good as the sales sheet indicates, I might actually try to build the autographed parallel card set (even with the presumption that the best cards will be short printed). I'm not going to hold my breath though.

George_Calfas said:
[quote="Sean_C":1ymg24py]While I love sets like this, this does feel like a "last gasp / cash grab" type offering. I have to ask this question: do we really need a Missy Hyatt insert card?

Why is this a last gasp? Could it not be the evolution of a company? UD could rebuild and establish themselves in a sports market outside of baseball yet bring along their previous baseball collectors. People buying baseball now might be willing to take a risk on Track people a-la Allen Ginter.[/quote:1ymg24py]

Latest posts