Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

i just do not get it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
there is a card on ebay for buy it now for $150 or best offer. it has 5 days to go and not ONE offer.i offered $40 and the offer expired!it has been a listing for the last 25 days no takers no offers but mine.i asked the buyer a question as what the lowest he would go.no reply.my point is do not ignore an offer or a question its very RUDE.the other point is, if you are the only person to make an offer and you want more counter offer.i run into this all the time. i have had sellers tell me thay paid x amound of $$ for it and thats what they want or it will just sit in their box and collect dust. my responce to them is. ok i paid x $ in 2006 for my house and that is what i want for it now GOOD LUCK not going to happen.and its like my neighbor. 10 years ago he was cleaning out his garage and had a 1978 Buick Skylark in very nice shape. only 43000 miles.he backed it out and parked it in the driveway, said he need more room.i asked him if he wanted it sell it and he said make him an offer i did $3000 he said he would need $5500. i told him that 3 was all i would give him. he said if thats all he could get he would rather let it sit and rot! i moved 2 years later the car was still there. i moved back just last year and the car is still there, well guess what? and just the other day he asked if i still wanted to buy it and i told he he did a good job of letting it sit and rot, call a junk yard. what a waste.it the same with anything you have no use for take the best offer and run. some people are just stupid.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
nosterbor said:
there is a card on ebay for buy it now for $150 or best offer. it has 5 days to go and not ONE offer.i offered $40 and the offer expired!it has been a listing for the last 25 days no takers no offers but mine.i asked the buyer a question as what the lowest he would go.no reply.my point is do not ignore an offer or a question its very RUDE.the other point is, if you are the only person to make an offer and you want more counter offer.i run into this all the time. i have had sellers tell me thay paid x amound of $$ for it and thats what they want or it will just sit in their box and collect dust. my responce to them is. ok i paid x $ in 2006 for my house and that is what i want for it now GOOD LUCK not going to happen.and its like my neighbor. 10 years ago he was cleaning out his garage and had a 1978 Buick Skylark in very nice shape. only 43000 miles.he backed it out and parked it in the driveway, said he need more room.i asked him if he wanted it sell it and he said make him an offer i did $3000 he said he would need $5500. i told him that 3 was all i would give him. he said if thats all he could get he would rather let it sit and rot! i moved 2 years later the car was still there. i moved back just last year and the car is still there, well guess what? and just the other day he asked if i still wanted to buy it and i told he he did a good job of letting it sit and rot, call a junk yard. what a waste.it the same with anything you have no use for take the best offer and run. some people are just stupid.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't understand some sellers. They treat eBay like a museum.

And if you offer a lowball price in response to their obscene high price, you either get significant sarcasm back, a nasty response back, or you're blocked.

I respond to all offers I get, no matter how ridiculous - it may not be much off of my price, but I at least counteroffer.

Market price means nothing to these guys.

Long story short -- they are their cards, they can do what they want with them.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
So ýou feel that if a seller isn't get maný offers then they should accept your low-ball offers?

You have to realize that many of these BIN/BO listings that people are not in a hurry to sell. Or they are waiting for a very good offer.

I do agree that counter offers should always be made. BUT, if I have a clownbag offering be BS lowball, trash offers, I will just let them expire. Make a legitimate offer and we can go from there.

Skrip

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I am guilty of this.

I have a lot of Colby Rasmus spx autos up in hopes that he does something amazing, and they are worth what they have sold for in the past.

I have had success with this method, but it takes patience.

bozemanbreaker

Mar 20, 2009
Salina, KS
Hey if you have the funds to hold out and cover the fees...the more power to the sellers. ebay is the largest card show in the world and eventually someone will make an offer the seller wants. amirite?

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I think its also "rude" to send low ball offers to sellers and just wasting their time. You offered basically 27% of his asking price, what do you think he would do?

No seller owes you any response to any offer and to think so is silly.

Alot of people list cards waiting for the right person and can afford to wait. Its the new way to sell on ebay.

Alot of sellers I know will immediately block someone who sends a very low offer or trys to contact them about why they won't take such a low offer.

Laughing at someone quoting book price is fine but I have alot of buyers quoting me on what cards "actually" bring and why I am an idiot only to sell it for the price I wanted at a later date.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I will agree that not every seller is in a hurry to sell. If the card is rare enough for you
to get upset that he won't take your offer, then its rare enough to get better money
for.

Kevin

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
i will go one further the card books at 100 i do not think 40% of book is a lowball offer.20 would have been.everyone sees what burbank is asking and they think they can follow suit.some of the cards burbank has at the 3x book are still for sale.3 years later!! its like the car in the driveway. here is one. this is the 17th time it has been relisted at 30 days.i offered him 75 a year ago he said no.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

6 months ago i got one at a show for 60.
juan_picture.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Davids is a high-end dealer in the Burbank mold. From what I've heard, he pays a good percentage for premium cards, and has customers who will come up to his level. His inventory is pretty nice, lots of cards that would be collection cornerstones for most collectors here. He thinks he can get more than 60% for it, and is willing to wait, even if years of relist fees eat into his eventual bottom line. Dealers like that want to keep premium cards at top levels, not end-of-the-day-have-to-pay-for-my-table local show prices.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Ebay is full of sellers who overvalue their stuff. They have no clue the economny is in the *******. Such a waste of time seeing same old overpriced crap rotting away.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
nosterbor said:

1. Try using capital letters. It goes easier on the eyes.

2. Sometimes I shoot an offer that I think is a little lower, but I always say counteroffer (not on ebay... places like here) in hopes that I can get a feel for what they want. I don't do ridiculous offers, but ones that can be $5-$10 lower than what I think they want. If they accept it, +1 for me. If not, then I can get a feel for what they want, and maybe negotiate a little bit further. I did this with the Red 1/1. The auction was at $21.50, so we shot an offer over of about $45. He countered with $50. It can't be so low that they think you are just ****** with them, but it has to be lower than what I think, or what I am willing to pay.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
And I don't see what the big deal is when a seller does this. If he wants to let his card, as someone previously said, sit in the museum, then that's on him. if you made an offer that he rejected you have 3 additional options. You can 1) hit the BIN, 2) Send an additional offer for more than $40 and see what he does with it or 3) move on and wait for the card to show up again. I understand the frustration, but it's his card, he can sell it for what he wants...or not sell it at all. Maybe he has no real intention on selling and just put it up on ebay with an outrageous BIN to see if someone would hit it or see what kinds of offers it fields. Or, maybe he wants more than $40 for it and just didn't feel like responding to your offer with a counter. Rudeness, is a matter of perspective, maybe he thought your offer was low enough to be considered rude. Just keep an eye out for the "rude offer for my card" post.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
smapdi said:
Davids is a high-end dealer in the Burbank mold. From what I've heard, he pays a good percentage for premium cards, and has customers who will come up to his level. His inventory is pretty nice, lots of cards that would be collection cornerstones for most collectors here. He thinks he can get more than 60% for it, and is willing to wait, even if years of relist fees eat into his eventual bottom line. Dealers like that want to keep premium cards at top levels, not end-of-the-day-have-to-pay-for-my-table local show prices.

I've dealt with David twice and have nothing but the best things to say about the guy. We went back and forth A LOT but we eventually came to deals that I thought were reasonable. You won't get a great deal buying from him but you will get your card(s) just as described with great customer service. I'd recommend him to anyone.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
To be fair this kind of stuff happens at brick and mortar stores all the time, I don't see why ebay would be any different.

nosterbor said:

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
David paid pretty high for cards back in the day, and since he doesn't need the money, it makes no sense to lose it on principle alone.

He's willing to wait it out his entire life, cause this is his career.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
If you don't have the funds to buy a card or submit an offer, you're screwed. I don't understand this hatred for people that have a card that's in demand and want to maximize their profit. If it's a card you can get somewhere else, go ahead and get it somewhere else.

People don't seem to grasp that eBay isn't market value. eBay is a market place in a much larger market. The sheer volatility of eBay should tell you that it's nowhere near a good indicator of what lesser numbered cards will bring in. eBay is not the stock market, there isn't 100K shares trading hands on an hourly basis. If you're lucky, you'll have 10 equal cards sell in two weeks.

If 10 cards each sold for 20 dollars, you're well within the margin of error to ask for 30 dollars. If 1 card has sold in the last year for $1000, you could probably ask $3000 and be fine.

A car may only be worth $3000 for someone simply looking for a car, but it could be worth $4000 if a part inside it costs $7000 to replace and the potential buyer needs that part. Plenty of $500 cars contain $1000 parts, it's just the nature of the beast.

If the seller wanted to take the chance and get the most money that someone on eBay was willing to pay during that particular 7-10 day period, they'd list it in an auction. Most sellers of high-end stuff realize that the buyer-base of eBay is anything but static and every fluctuation will affect the price.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I agree entirely with your last paragraph, and always say the same thing. There needs to be a better ebay alternative, a specialized auction house perhaps, for the rarest modern stuff from products that have been on the market for more than 2-3 months. Everyone knows to check ebay for stuff from products that just came out but can forget to check ebay for the rarest stuff from those products after that time.

Since no alternative exists, sellers who are used to getting the shaft on the rarest stuff are trying to turn it around and find that one person in a million willing to pay their asking price for it, perhaps giving the shaft to the buyer instead. Whenever a buyer or seller gets the shaft its not good for the hobby and doesn't establish accurate values or determine demand for the most rare of cards.

pigskincardboard said:
If you don't have the funds to buy a card or submit an offer, you're screwed. I don't understand this hatred for people that have a card that's in demand and want to maximize their profit. If it's a card you can get somewhere else, go ahead and get it somewhere else.

People don't seem to grasp that eBay isn't market value. eBay is a market place in a much larger market. The sheer volatility of eBay should tell you that it's nowhere near a good indicator of what lesser numbered cards will bring in. eBay is not the stock market, there isn't 100K shares trading hands on an hourly basis. If you're lucky, you'll have 10 equal cards sell in two weeks.

If 10 cards each sold for 20 dollars, you're well within the margin of error to ask for 30 dollars. If 1 card has sold in the last year for $1000, you could probably ask $3000 and be fine.

A car may only be worth $3000 for someone simply looking for a car, but it could be worth $4000 if a part inside it costs $7000 to replace and the potential buyer needs that part. Plenty of $500 cars contain $1000 parts, it's just the nature of the beast.

If the seller wanted to take the chance and get the most money that someone on eBay was willing to pay during that particular 7-10 day period, they'd list it in an auction. Most sellers of high-end stuff realize that the buyer-base of eBay is anything but static and every fluctuation will affect the price.

Members online

Latest posts