Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Pinnacle Coins - Question on the rare ones

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
I have a question about the 1998 pinnacle coins. Apparently there are a few variations, and I found this site that goes through how you can tell the difference (although this is racing im sure its the same over the sports).

http://home.comcast.net/~charneyt/pinmin.htm

My question is does anyone have an idea of the print runs for the silver and gold ones (solid - bottom two images)? Im talking specifically about the ones from 1998 and of course baseball. I did find the pack insertion ratio on DA's website but i dont know how to equate to PR. Any help is appreciated.....and if you have any idea of value on a coin that's either the silver or gold that would be great too!

Thanks,

stalegum

Aug 13, 2010
NoVA,SoJers
jpcz said:
My question is does anyone have an idea of the print runs for the silver and gold ones (solid - bottom two images)? Im talking specifically about the ones from 1998 and of course baseball.

The only "print" (or is it mint?) runs Pinnacle revealed are for the Brass Proof (500 coins), Nickel Proof (250 coins) and Gold Plated Proof (100 coins). The odds of finding a Nickel Proof are 1:48 Hobby and 1:97 retail and a Gold Plated Proof are 1:199 Hobby and retail.

The Solid Silver coins were inserted at the rate of 1:288 Hobby and 1:960 retail. I guesstimate that the mint run on these were about 20-25 coins. maybe less since the proportion of the Hobby/retail print run is unknown.

I think, I'm not sure, but I think the Solid Gold coins were ones-of-one.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Solid gold coins were a 1/1 redemption. The silver were very hard to find in packs BUT they came with a certificate of authenticity in the pack to accompany them.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
thank you for the info. I should hopefully be able to add one to my collection if all goes well....a gold one that is. :D

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure the slivers are /50 and the golds are /1. People don't seem to know what is what in these sets as I've received different types of nickel silvers when purchasing solid silvers.

Members online

No members online now.