Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for the Board Vintage Guru(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpTheAlley

Sep 26, 2009
North Carolina
Question:
A vintage newbie here!
Is there any reference source available that tracks card valuations over 1yr, 2yr, 5yr etc between PSA & SGC?
Secondly,
Pro's ---Con's between an PSA graded vintage and an SGC graded vintage in regards to strengths in preserving said card's market valuation /insurable interest over the same time frames?

Any and all input appreciated!

Thanks!

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
UpTheAlley said:
Is there any reference source available that tracks card valuations over 1yr, 2yr, 5yr etc between PSA & SGC?

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/

I'm not sure how far back they will track a card or set, however.

UpTheAlley said:
Pro's ---Con's between an PSA graded vintage and an SGC graded vintage in regards to strengths in preserving said card's market valuation /insurable interest over the same time frames?

Economic factors aside, I believe post-WWII PSA slabbed cards will hold their value slightly more than SGC based on the popularity of their registry. As for prewar, I would go with SGC.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
If you can list a few cards as examples it would be easier to answer the question more specifically...

It all depends on the vintage card... some are extremely common and exist in numbers of 5,000++ examples known, and some are unique, where only a single example is known (ie Holland Ice Cream Peckinpaugh, Just So Cy Young, T231 Frank Baker, etc.).

If you're collecting common vintage cards... ie T206, T205, all the Goudeys, E120, E121, E90-1 thru E98, Cracker Jacks, PlayBall, etc. then the history of previous sales are well known. These cards are often found for sale and are easy to value because of so many sales being tracked for the last few years.

You can use something like http://www.vintagecardprices.com to look up previous sales in similar grade.

But, If you collect the rare stuff, ie Big Eaters, Texas Tommy, E222, J=K, T216 VE, D303 Mothers, etc. Then you will have to guesstimate what a card might or should sell for. Some of these rarities only show for sale at auction once every ten years or so if that. only place you may find info on what these have sold for in the past is in major auction catalogs over the last 25 years.

****edited to say I wrote this before I read Jay's reply

PSA might be the way to go if you like the registry set deal they have going, and commonly collected sets like T206, R319, E145-2 etc. will sell for more $$ because of this alone.

IMO PSA lacks/slacks in grading cards from many vintage sets because their quality control is weak at best.... they have made so many ID mistakes its old news now. Also their slabs are inferior IMO, with some cards "floating" around within the slab.

SGC is #1 for all Vintage 19th Century-PreWar besides the very common sets that registry guys collect (noted above).

UpTheAlley

Sep 26, 2009
North Carolina
Hi Jay, FKW!

I really appreciate the input guys, thanks!

FKW- you have presented alot for me to chew about upon! I appreciate you sharing the knowledge!

Paul

Latest posts