Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Sammy Sosa Article.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Pine Tar said:
Actually read this that yahoo article does not do it justice
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... e=0#artanc

Thanks for the link, Richard. Very interesting article. In my opinion, both the Cubs and Sammy both look at fault. It really is a shame that he is not welcome at Wrigley. I guess I can only hope at some point they can put their differences aside and work things out.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
gonzagacubs said:
Pine Tar said:
Actually read this that yahoo article does not do it justice
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... e=0#artanc

Thanks for the link, Richard. Very interesting article. In my opinion, both the Cubs and Sammy both look at fault. It really is a shame that he is not welcome at Wrigley. I guess I can only hope at some point they can put their differences aside and work things out.

This is a Jim Hendry fiasco he help create, and easily throw him under the bus. Jim Hendry now has the side show of Carlos Zambrano to deal with. (Sammy Sosa part 2). If Ryne Sandburg is to be the manager next season, he will want Zambrano gone he already had to deal with a pampas ass of a team-mate and does not need that on his watch. And Jim Hendry will have to move him if they want the Prodigal Son to come home and run the almost sunk ship.

I think the Cubs need to rid themselves of a host of players as well as the GM they call James Hendry, and start this thing in a whole new era. But hey they are the Cubs, the lovable losers,and for that reason alone this direction will be the course of the future and for generations to come.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Pine Tar said:
gonzagacubs said:
Pine Tar":8cqeihvl]Actually read this that yahoo article does not do it justice [url="http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/September-2010/Sammy-Sosa-Cubs-Threw-Me-into-the-FIre/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc said:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... e=0#artanc[/url]

This is a Jim Hendry fiasco he help create, and easily throw him under the bus. Jim Hendry now has the side show of Carlos Zambrano to deal with. (Sammy Sosa part 2). If Ryne Sandburg is to be the manager next season, he will want Zambrano gone he already had to deal with a pampas ass of a team-mate and does not need that on his watch. And Jim Hendry will have to move him if they want the Prodigal Son to come home and run the almost sunk ship.

I think the Cubs need to rid themselves of a host of players as well as the GM they call James Hendry, and start this thing in a whole new era. But hey they are the Cubs, the lovable losers,and for that reason alone this direction will be the course of the future and for generations to come.[/quote:8cqeihvl]

It will be very interesting to see what direction the Ricketts (sp?) family chooses to go. I am assuming Hendry is staying put, or they more than likely would have announced he is not coming back next year. I am really praying they give Ryno a shot. The team is clearly going to be in a rebuilding mode the next two years at least. They really need to find a way to shed some of these absurd contracts that will continue next year.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
For me sadly I think Jim is definitely staying until he can lock down another good manager then he will load up that guy with a bunch over over the hill and even more over paid players and the get kicked to the curb. They have talked the would like to to get Adam Dunn. WTF you would not pay him what he wanted like 3-4 year contract and wanted to come here years ago, and your damn sure not going to pay him now, but hell if he wants to come here then go ask. They also have said they are looking at re-signing Lilly since he does seem to be a rental by the Dodgers anyway.

And I think Tyler Colvin needs to rid himself of Sammy's Number 21, not because the Cubs should retire the number, only because that number has a bad vibe about it. First Sammy had it, then Marquis had it, and then Bradley, and we all know how all those stories ended. SO TYLER DITCH THAT NUMBER AND QUICK. What was Lou wearing this year??

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
gonzagacubs said:
Pine Tar said:
gonzagacubs said:
Pine Tar":wzc8qmam]Actually read this that yahoo article does not do it justice [url="http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/September-2010/Sammy-Sosa-Cubs-Threw-Me-into-the-FIre/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc said:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... e=0#artanc[/url]

I think the Cubs need to rid themselves of a host of players as well as the GM they call James Hendry, and start this thing in a whole new era. But hey they are the Cubs, the lovable losers,and for that reason alone this direction will be the course of the future and for generations to come.

It will be very interesting to see what direction the Ricketts (sp?) family chooses to go. I am assuming Hendry is staying put, or they more than likely would have announced he is not coming back next year. I am really praying they give Ryno a shot. The team is clearly going to be in a rebuilding mode the next two years at least. They really need to find a way to shed some of these absurd contracts that will continue next year.[/quote:wzc8qmam]

colvin wears his number??
duh..... yes he does.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I loved Sammy. Several years ago I had the opportunity to do media in the Cub minor league system. Sammy went to AA ball on a rehab assignment and was so gracious to the people and players. He was good to the fans and bought all of the meals for the team. Some of the articles written about him on this rehab assignment made him to look like a jerk. Most of these articles were written by people who were not there in person.

Can't really take one side over the other as both sides made their mistakes. I wish the Cubs and Sammy could come together but I am not sure it will ever happen.

One of my favorite sports moments came in 2003. My wife and I went to our first game at Wrigley, which happened to be Game 1 of the 2003 NLCS. For those of you who do not remember, Sammy hit a shot that ultimately sent the game to extras. The Cubs lost the game but I have never been in an atmosphere as electric as Wrigley when Sammy hit that HR.

I think it is absolute BS. I understand he did some stuff to rub management the wrong way, but the fact is that sammy sosa made the cubs relevant during a period when they were terrible. He generated millions for the club because of is HR's. Juice or no juice , he put chicago back on the map in the late 90's. To give his number away to scrubs and a rookie is a freakin insult. The same thing the A's did by giving McGwire's 25 away to Estaban Loaiza.

My only Sosa Auto. And it's dam good one.....# 6/15

macbats008.jpg

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Sosa was and likely will remain my favorite player of all time.

From the home run hop, to the little chest pump and kiss to the cameras after a home run, and of course of the 1998 season.

His behavior and comments are egotistical now however. His lack of baseball-related activity after he retired reminds me of how McGwire acted before re-joining the Cardinals this year.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Just read the entire Chicago article.

Wow. I never knew relations between them were so harsh. I knew knew what lengths the Cubs went through to tarnish his reputation, nor what selfish a player he was in the clubhouse.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Did the article mention his boombox being destroyed in the clubhouse?

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
He should have just come clean and admit he used. They all should have before lying to congress.
Eventually people will forgive.
Since he seems to really care about how people respect him and view him, he needs to realize that goes both ways. Dont insult peoples intelligence and then in the next sentence say you dont get respect.

Instead these guys lie and lie.

Reminds me of Maury Povich shows where the husband is cheating on his wife.
A wife will find other womans ******* in her husbands car, lipstick on his shirt collar, and the husband will fail a lie detector test, yet he professes his innocence and wonders why no one believes him.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
leatherman said:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31093821/

"I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."

With that smug attitude, I hope he waits forever.

Couldn't agree more. He may have done some huge things for the organization but he doesn't deserve squat with an attitude like that. It disgusts me that he thinks he's owed something.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
Sammy Sosa was the Cubs from '95-'04 and if I were Sammy I would tell the Cubs to go eff themselves. The way he was treated by management was disgraceful. Sure he was selfish and annoying but for every Joe Mauer there are 10 Sosas who have huge egos. The Tribune company made boatloads of cash off Sosa during many years when the Cubs were absolutely awful and then when he started to age they turned their backs. If another player hat ratted Sammy out for leaving early they would be crucified by the media and fans but since the team did it it's OK? Say what you want about steroids and the corked bat but there was nothing better then watching Sammy in his prime.

cubfan131 said:
Sammy Sosa was the Cubs from '95-'04 and if I were Sammy I would tell the Cubs to go eff themselves. The way he was treated by management was disgraceful. Sure he was selfish and annoying but for every Joe Mauer there are 10 Sosas who have huge egos. The Tribune company made boatloads of cash off Sosa during many years when the Cubs were absolutely awful and then when he started to age they turned their backs. If another player hat ratted Sammy out for leaving early they would be crucified by the media and fans but since the team did it it's OK? Say what you want about steroids and the corked bat but there was nothing better then watching Sammy in his prime.

well put. When you mention the word cubs from 95-04, you think of 1 thing and 1 thing only..

Slammin Sammy Sosa

Members online