Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Chrome or Bowman Chrome?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfnats

Aug 20, 2010
New here, so sorry if this has already been recently discussed. Which product do you think is the better buy for the money in September/October, and why? As a Nats PC collector, there are more Nats autos in Topps Chrome (Stras, Desmond, Ramos) than in Bowman, but the rest of the auto checklist looks pretty weak and it might be tough to break even. If it matters, I'd be buying 2-3 boxes only.

scottiff

Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
cgilmo said:
bowman chrome

and it's not close

Although the topps chrome version should have the better USA autos.
I have to disagree with the part that it's not close. I have 15 cases of both coming and I feel more comfortable making a profit on the Topps Chrome than I do the Bowman. In fact I flipped all my Bowman cases. I feel like people are way understating the value of the Heritage, T-206, and Chicle inserts plus you get twice the autos and just tons and tons of refractors. I am not the only big breaker that feels this way. Now I am not saying Topps is a slam dunk but I feel safer with it than the Bowman.

One other very important thing to remember is the price for each as well. Look at the current per box prices for each and that should help make the decision a lot easier.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'm particularly happy Topps is folding in some of the other releases into this TC. TC looks to be a very, very fun break.

scottiff said:
I have to disagree with the part that it's not close. I have 15 cases of both coming and I feel more comfortable making a profit on the Topps Chrome than I do the Bowman. In fact I flipped all my Bowman cases. I feel like people are way understating the value of the Heritage, T-206, and Chicle inserts plus you get twice the autos and just tons and tons of refractors. I am not the only big breaker that feels this way. Now I am not saying Topps is a slam dunk but I feel safer with it than the Bowman.

One other very important thing to remember is the price for each as well. Look at the current per box prices for each and that should help make the decision a lot easier.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
While Bowman Chrome has the better checklist and potential, Topps Chrome will surprise a lot of collectors/box breakers.

Bowman Chrome is prospect driven, Topps Chrome will deliver MLB RC Logo cards. Both products have Strasburg in some form.

In a box of Topps Chrome, you'll get two on-card rookie autographs and one USA autograph per 12 box case. A box of Bowman Chrome will have one autograph.

scottiff

Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
I don't disagree on the auto checklist but that is not why I bought in. It was Strasburg and the inserts. The fact that he is a base and an auto means lots of parallels to pull. Strasburg being very possibly done for the season will have a negative impact on the product but if he comes back to pitch at least one more good start all will be well. And I still go back to per box price. Of course I got my cases of both for basically the same price per.

spcollector

Nov 11, 2009
scottiff said:
I don't disagree on the auto checklist but that is not why I bought in. It was Strasburg and the inserts. The fact that he is a base and an auto means lots of parallels to pull. Strasburg being very possibly done for the season will have a negative impact on the product but if he comes back to pitch at least one more good start all will be well. And I still go back to per box price. Of course I got my cases of both for basically the same price per.

Can someone post the Bowman Chrome Auto checklist and the Topps Chrome Auto checklist. I cant seem to find them...

Canocollector#1

Aug 16, 2008
BIG APPLE
spcollector said:
scottiff said:

Can someone post the Bowman Chrome Auto checklist and the Topps Chrome Auto checklist. I cant seem to find them...
BC:
TBD
Adeinis Hechavarria
Aroldis Chapman
Dee Gordon
Brett Wallace
Kyle Gibson
Max Kepler
Shelby Miller
Miguel Sano
Brett Oberholtzer
Gary Sanchez
Jacob Turner
Josh Satin
Matt Davidson
Arodys Vizcaino
TBD
Robinson Chirinos
Trayce Thompson
TBD
Corban Joseph
Noel Arguelles
Tim Beckham
Yonder Alonzo
Juan Urbina
Stephen Strasburg

TC:
Jason Heyward
Scott Sizemore
Mike Leake
Austin Jackson
Allen Craig
Jenrry Mejia
Bryan Anderson
Ruben Tejada
Drew Butera
Ike Davis
Jon Link
Jesse English
Tyson Ross
Ian Desmond
Mik McCoy
Tommy Manzella

pikeman80

Jul 1, 2010
Irvine, CA
The one issue with Topps vs Bowman will be overall production numbers. I believe Topps Chrome was mostly ordered prior to Stras mania and Bowman Chrome order came in after the craziness. Also since 2010 Bowman did so well, I think it may lead to huge orders of Bowman Chrome as a result. I am betting that Topps Chrome may get over looked a bit and thus the production will be significantly lower.

scottiff

Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
securedsports said:
Canocollector#1 said:
securedsports said:
So Strasburg does not have a Topps Chrome Autograph? USA Autographs in Topps Chrome will be nice.

He does

Its not on that guys list? Or am I going blind.
Topps did a "town hall" type Q&A at the National and the videos of it are available on Beckett. In, I believe, the first video a Topps rep states that Strasburg will have an auto and a base in the product.

gocubsgo

Aug 7, 2008
Bowman Chrome is the glamorous pick to break, but Topps Chrome is the best value for the money hands down.

- Bowman Chrome will be coming out after Topps Chrome and U&H the third week of October. Collectors don't have unlimited funds so that has to have an impact on overall BC sales. At this point Strasburg may be shut down for over two months.
- Bowman Chorme has only 18 packs per box vs. Topps Chrome at 24 packs per box. The value of those extra cards adds up pretty quick.
- The inserts in Topps Chrome will add a ton of value that Bowman Chrome can't deliver.
- Yes 80% of the Topps Chrome auto checklist is crap, but you get two autos per box and with only 24 autos in the set almost every case is going to yield a Heyward, Davis and Jackson RC auto with a nice shot at some color. There are still a few TBD RC autos and if Topps adds a player like Stanton, Posey, Brown or Castro the value is even better. They added Hanson last year so hopefully Topps can work some magic. Posey is signing for Updates so that might be a safe bet.
- You will have over 55 autos in Topps Chrome and every year Topps manages to include the late season call-ups in Topps Chome. On a large case break that means tons of low #d refractors and chrome RCs that will sell very well.
- The wild card will be the Strasburg autos. He is likely going to be an SP auto in Topps Chrome so that will be a tough hit. Strasburg was supposed to be a regular non-SP auto in Bowman Chrome but based on comments from the town hall at the National it sounds like Strasburg will be an SP auto since they are going to crank up the presses.

Members online

Latest posts