Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Playoff Contenders Baseball - Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Looks like Playoff Contenders baseball is releasing later this month. What do you guys think??? They've got a few prospects that aren't in Bowman or Razor. And what do you think will happen to the value of the Contenders autos from Prime Cuts IV???

http://www.donruss.com/dspNewsDetail.cfm?nid=419

Allen

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If the guy is in EEE, or Prime Cuts, unless Contenders has a lower print run I'd want to get the Prime Cuts or EEE first.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Sigh...Is Donruss trying to water-down & devalue the share of the prospect market that they gained with the very popular EEE brand? It seems they are reusing the main prospects over & over (& they're not even spreading it over a several year span ala: B.Chrome, they're actually making it worse this way; as with B.Chrome at least you could decipher which was the "First Year" card to have of the prospect...but with Donruss this year they are just releasing the hell out of some of the top guy's, which will not be a good thing in the future as there will be more to choose from for the collector- not a good thing for prospector's)! :|

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I hope this comment doesn't start a fight, but:
It seems like while some were worried about Razor flooding the market and reusing the same players over and over again, Donruss has snuck in and done just that.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
It seems like while some were worried about Razor flooding the market and reusing the same players over and over again, Donruss has snuck in and done just that.

It shouldn't start a fight because as of now it is true (Donruss is watering down, Razor has yet to release a second product). It is still to be seen if Razor will water-down the market (so for both sides- the backer's & the basher's- there is still time for Brian & Razor to prove them right)! I guess this can all be summed up by 3 words: "to be continued".... :D

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

It shouldn't start a fight because as of now it is true (Donruss is watering down, Razor has yet to release a second product). It is still to be seen if Razor will water-down the market (so for both sides- the backer's & the basher's- there is still time for Brian & Razor to prove them right)! I guess this can all be summed up by 3 words: "to be continued".... :D

This is all true, but as we have learned the R word can lead to irrational arguments from both sides.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Its too highly priced, at $6 srp and 5 autos per box. Not worth the $144 for a box. Wholesale is already over $100.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Therion said:
Didn't we hash this out in a Jeff N thread already? If anyone is flooding the market it is Topps.

The thing about Topps though is thier products command top dollar (maybe because they were the one's whom established the prospecting game with thier Bowman & Bowman Chrome line's(?) or just because they are the only MLB licensed product(?)...maybe both(?) I don't know, but I do know that as long as thier product's are commanding "top" dollar on the secondary market that the spending public either doesn't care or they accept that Topps brand's are the exception to this rule... So far the Donruss product's are not having the same success as far as holding value when the next product comes out with the same player's autographed card (I've seen it with all the player's I've been watching...also what I'm talking about is the number of different product's with the same player's rc auto's (not necessarily the print run).

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

This is all true, but as we have learned the R word can lead to irrational arguments from both sides.

True, true! :D

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
That makes little sense. If Topps puts out a total number of a player that exceeds the total number of that same player put out by Donruss then who is flooding the market?

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
When they are touting Pedro Baez as one the better guys that should tell you enough. I like Baez a lot, but he is not an elite prospect yet.

I also wish they would release a checklist already.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
ryanhoward06 said:
When they are touting Pedro Baez as one the better guys that should tell you enough. I like Baez a lot, but he is not an elite prospect yet.

They're not touting him as one of the better guys, he's being listed as someone who hasn't had an autograph yet.

Prospectmaster

If anything that Donruss/Playoff came out with and if it were me I would be bringing Absolute Memorabilia back on the market. If they can bring Prime Cuts out I dont see why they can bring Absolute back. They really dont need a watered down playoff contenders version of football. I mean come on if Contenders is gonna be around just leave it in football. No one is gonna spend this type of money for 5 autos of guys who knows what will happen too. If it were me and id charge that much it would be for me 12 packs one auto in ever other pack. so 12 packs one auto in 2 packs would= 6 autos and I would probably have the box starting selling price at around say between 70 and 85. Then if it gets hot then thats when to raise the price. I jusr dont think this is going to work like football.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
ryanhoward06 said:

They're not touting him as one of the better guys, he's being listed as someone who hasn't had an autograph yet.

Opps my bad. I just skimmed real quick and saw his name along some other big guys.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Therion said:
Didn't we hash this out in a Jeff N thread already? If anyone is flooding the market it is Topps.

Prospectors sell to other prospectors and collectors.

Collectors buy, typically one card of each brand.

WIth Topps, Collector has to buy BC and BSterling.

With Donruss, Collector has to buy Prime Cuts, Threads, EEE, Contenders, DIamond Kings (?), Leaf Limited (?), the other "preview" from PC, and whatever else they throw out there.

Donruss is flooding the market. I still dispute the math used in that thread.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Jeff N. said:
Therion said:

Prospectors sell to other prospectors and collectors.

Collectors buy, typically one card of each brand.

WIth Topps, Collector has to buy BC and BSterling.

With Donruss, Collector has to buy Prime Cuts, Threads, EEE, Contenders, DIamond Kings (?), Leaf Limited (?), the other "preview" from PC, and whatever else they throw out there.

Donruss is flooding the market. I still dispute the math used in that thread.

Back the dispute up with math of your own. Where are their numbers flawed? I'm sure there are specific cases of guys that Donruss included and Topps didn't, but for guys in both companies products, Topps seems to be releasing more total autographs.

Members online

Latest posts