Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just noticed something on Ebay (feedback related)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Leaving feedback and came upon a seller with Free Shipping.

It wouldn't let me give him any stars and says that sellers automatically get 5 stars with free shipping.

Kinda neat.

piggy1918

Jul 31, 2009
Cool... I don't sell much on Ebay but I keep hearing how horrible it is for sellers. Glad to hear there are at least a few little things to protect them.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
Leaving feedback and came upon a seller with Free Shipping.

It wouldn't let me give him any stars and says that sellers automatically get 5 stars with free shipping.

Kinda neat.

Thats great. I give free shipping and complain every time I have gotten less than 5 stars to ebay. Maybe more sellers did too.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
So if they take 6 weeks to ship, all the while saying it's on it's way, and it comes in a plain whilte envelope without a top loader or soft sleeve, mangled to pieces, that's still 5 stars? Weird...

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
gwynn5453l4u said:
So if they take 6 weeks to ship, all the while saying it's on it's way, and it comes in a plain whilte envelope without a top loader or soft sleeve, mangled to pieces, that's still 5 stars? Weird...

well, none of those issues have anything to do with shipping and handling charges. That's what the other categories take care of along with the little box to type comments in.

gvsu96

Aug 7, 2008
You can call me Milton
gwynn5453l4u said:
That's what this one is for: How quickly did the seller ship the item?

Has nothing to do with: How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges?

agentjak

Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
So if I read this right, EBay now gives the seller the option of, if the seller is offering free shipping, not letting the buyer leave anything BUT 5 stars?? or is that done automatically since the seller offered free shipping?? they get 5 stars straight across the board?? is this right?? I see problems with this, doesnt anyone else??

d

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
agentjak said:
So if I read this right, EBay now gives the seller the option of, if the seller is offering free shipping, not letting the buyer leave anything BUT 5 stars?? or is that done automatically since the seller offered free shipping?? they get 5 stars straight across the board?? is this right?? I see problems with this, doesnt anyone else??

d
there are 4 categories. Shipping charges is the only one that is automatically given 5 stars.
doh ::facepalm::

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
But what is a 5 in shipping worth to you?

Remember, when you roll the cost of shipping into the card, you are paying a percentage of the Final value of the sale. If you charge shipping, that portion of the money is untouched by the FVF.

So when you offer free shipping, you need to think about how many pennies (or nickels and dimes) you are giving eBay every transaction. For those that are big sellers, this could add up, but then again, maybe free shipping is a draw to their customers.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
tommyfro21 said:
But what is a 5 in shipping worth to you?

Remember, when you roll the cost of shipping into the card, you are paying a percentage of the Final value of the sale. If you charge shipping, that portion of the money is untouched by the FVF.

So when you offer free shipping, you need to think about how many pennies (or nickels and dimes) you are giving eBay every transaction. For those that are big sellers, this could add up, but then again, maybe free shipping is a draw to their customers.

This is a very good point. Let's say that offering free shipping bumps you up from being a normal seller to a top rated seller. You would then get the 20% discount off of your final value fees every month. While that may sound like a lot, it's really just 20% of ~9% of all of your auctions, which amounts to 1.8% of your total sales (assuming you sell exclusively at auction. This could vary by <1% if you go BIN/BO heavy). So unless you're averaging high dollar sales across the board, or you already charge less than $2 for shipping, it doesn't make financial sense to offer the free shipping.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
I don't really care that I have less then 5 stars on shipping and handling. I always ship my stuff for
2-3 buck maxium and sometimes I even charge less if they buy more. With this mind set I should have 5 stars but I don't nor do I care that I do not.

I recycle all mailers I get, (Keeps costs down) always ship via PP and get cheaper D/C and I always send out no later then 24 hours of payment received, yet I still have 4.8 stars in all the catagories. So I'm not going to offer free shipping just to hold the 4.8 I have now. Let it be noted I do offer free shipping but only on items, I know I'll make a good price on something. I'm surely not going to offer free shipping on a 2 dollar card.

agentjak

Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
bdal23 said:
agentjak said:

d
there are 4 categories. Shipping charges is the only one that is automatically given 5 stars.
doh ::facepalm::

......................Yeah thanks..I guess I just read the original posters question the wrong way and was thinking ALL the feedback categories were getting the 5 stars just because sellers were offering free shipping.. ::facepalm::

Members online