Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What are cards worth? Is SMR the pricing standard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael3322

Mar 23, 2010
Dear All,

Since this is the transactions thread, I was wondering if you could help settle a debate.

Is the SMR "The Authority" on baseball card values?

On eBay, I see cards routinely selling for more (sometimes much more) and less than their SMR listed values. Some cards, like the hand-cut cards from the 1920s, don't even have SMR prices.

I'd love to hear what you think about this.

Thank you!

Michael

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
With any price guide they are only a reference. Its a good reference and gives you an idea of what a card is worth.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Today, collectors seem satisfied determining value by placing their card on the open market, i.e. eBay. For trades, many collectors use Beckett or SMR to establish baselines for value but I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay "full Beckett" for any given card.

It doesn't mean the magazines are worthless. Like someone else said, use the price guides as references rather than law. Realistically, keeping an up-to-date database of hundreds and thousands of card prices isn't possible--unless someone develops software to automatically comb eBay's completed auctions or a social networking site where users enter card sale prices.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
To understand the real value of a card, the price guide needs to be supplemented by your doing your own homework looking at completed set and player auctions and/or talking to people. Its tough with all the releases out there, and some cards can loose or gain demand quickly.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Yep, a guide is just that, a guide.....

It's a snapshot of relatively current market conditions that usually place a 'high' and 'low' price that said card(s) pricepoint delta can usually be found in. eBay is only part of the story. Card shops, trade markets, shows, ect.. all contribute to relative current market value, location/region as well. The best method of placing a price on anything is to determine what you are willing to pay, and recent closed sales. Other than that, a card is worth what you can sell it for.

vandybill

Sep 28, 2008
As I have been building my '69 Topps graded set, I have found Beckett's Graded Card magazine to be a much better indicator of what I can expect to pay for a given card. SMR doesn't seem to take into account population at all in their pricing which can have a huge impact.

To an earlier point about "no one in their right mind" paying full Beckett for a card, some low population graded card routinely bring in full book or more.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
rico08 said:
Today, collectors seem satisfied determining value by placing their card on the open market, i.e. eBay. For trades, many collectors use Beckett or SMR to establish baselines for value but I don't think anyone in their right mind would pay "full Beckett" for any given card.

It doesn't mean the magazines are worthless. Like someone else said, use the price guides as references rather than law. Realistically, keeping an up-to-date database of hundreds and thousands of card prices isn't possible--unless someone develops software to automatically comb eBay's completed auctions or a social networking site where users enter card sale prices.

I've had that idea for years. It could be similar to a stock market too if you were able to keep up with all the sales on ebay. That way if there are crazy outlier sales it would be obvious by looking at a chart. Too bad I know nothing about writing software. :(

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
GarkoCollector said:
A card is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.

exactly

Ive heard of "SMR" but dont know exactly what it is. I guess Im oldschool, I go by past experiences for determining most values... on some items I have followed them for the last 30 years so kinda know them well as far as demand and what they should bring.

IMO eBay is the best reference for items you may not know well, and there are some good places on internet that use stats from eBay and other auctions to determine a value for most cards. like vintagecardprices.com

The cards that are tougher to put a value on are the rare cards. There are thousands of known cards that are so rare that you may only see 1-2 examples show for sale once every 5-10 years or so, if that. ie. Tarzan Bread, Big Eaters Candy, 1923 Fleer, T215 Pirate, etc....... and there are still new discoveries every year.

Rare cards are the toughest to value IMO. I guess some of the new cards (1/1) that have never publicly sold, Im sure those would be tough to value as well.

example... I sold this Hank Aaron card a few months back and had no way to determine a value. its unique,

1959esslingerbeeraaron.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
ThoseBackPages said:
50% of SMR seems to be about right

Doesn't SMR only list PSA graded card values and not raw card values? Thats what i was always under the impression of. Can anyone answer this for me as I have never actually seen a SMR magazine in person before? Would love to be able to check out an old back issue one day.

FromKoufaxtoEdwin

Aug 15, 2008
nborton said:
rico08 said:

I've had that idea for years. It could be similar to a stock market too if you were able to keep up with all the sales on ebay. That way if there are crazy outlier sales it would be obvious by looking at a chart. Too bad I know nothing about writing software. :(

For vintage there is vintagecardprices.com, which gets every auction ending for PSA graded card. It's a must subscription for any hardcore vintage collector.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
FromKoufaxtoEdwin said:
For vintage there is vintagecardprices.com, which gets every auction ending for PSA graded card. It's a must subscription for any hardcore vintage collector.

I totally agree. Plus vintagecardprices.com has results from some of the major auctions for rare/low pop cards.

Members online

Latest posts