Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Paypal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Since PayPal charges 30 cents and 2.9% per transaction, if I send a payment of 1 cent to someone, wouldn't it decrease their PayPal account balance by 29 cents?

Let's say they have $100.00 in their account. I send $0.01 via PayPal. They have $100.01 in their account, but PayPal charges 30 cents for their transaction. So, they now have $99.71 in their account after receiving my payment.

If 100 people did this all at once, it would take $29.00 out of their account. If 1000 people did it, it would take out $290.

Of course, all this conjecture is based on the fact that there is no minimum amount you can send via PayPal. According to this link, there is no minimum, but that could be untrue: https://www.x.com/message/83268

David

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I've tried it. Any payments under 30 cents automatically get eaten by Paypal for the fee, and the recipient gets nothing. However, they are NOT penalized either; i.e you send a 1 cent payment, Paypal simply takes the 1 cent as a fee from the recipient, he/she will NOT get charged another 29 cents out of their own account.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
cmnkb8 said:
I've tried it. Any payments under 30 cents automatically get eaten by Paypal for the fee, and the recipient gets nothing. However, they are NOT penalized either; i.e you send a 1 cent payment, Paypal simply takes the 1 cent as a fee from the recipient, he/she will NOT get charged another 29 cents out of their own account.

Interesting.

Actually, it would take all 31 cents on a 31 cent payment too, as 2.9% of 31 cents would be 1 cent (rounded to the nearest cent). Added to the 30 cent fee, Paypal would take all of it. It would take at least a 32 cent payment to receive your first cent.

God, I'm a nerd.

Members online

Latest posts