Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

John Smoltz lets Braves know he is signing with Redsox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
I love winter time. Mixes everything up.

Hot Stove Blog

A major league source who was in contact with John Smoltz on Wednesday night said the free agent will be calling the Braves on Thursday morning to tell them that he has decided to sign with the Red Sox.
MLB.com confirms that it'd be a $5.5 million deal with a chance to earn up to $10 million in incentives. Smoltz is 41 and he'll be coming off major shoulder surgery, but he could very well be another top-of-the-rotation starter for Boston. It's a big addition.

boston.com

The Red Sox are working towards an agreement with free agent John Smoltz, the Boston Globe reports.
According to the report, "sources indicated that Smoltz was leaning toward Boston's offer, which was said to be somewhere in the vicinity of $5.5 million guaranteed with the opportunity to earn a few million in incentives which could hike the salary up to $10 million." Even though he'll probably miss the first six to eight weeks, he seems like a very good gamble at that price.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
coltsfan23 said:
YES! Sox got Smoltz!!

Liking the colts and red sox is pure blasphemy!

Good signing. I guess they're going with the strategy of signing a bunch of guys that have issues but high potential, and then just hoping one or two pan out.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Tomlinson21RB said:
scotty21690 said:
Can you say: Best/deepest rotation in the league?! I can.. ;)

Imagine if Penny returns to form and they have 4 aces... Unlikely, but a wonderful thought.

Its gonna make for some very interesting series with the Yankees.

Lester/Sabathia
Beckett/Burnett
Matsuzaka/****
Wakefield/Chamberlain
Penny or Smoltz/Hughes?
Bowden, masterson, buchholz

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
scotty21690 said:

Imagine if Penny returns to form and they have 4 aces... Unlikely, but a wonderful thought.
Hell..I'm just hoping he can eat up some innings and pitch decent. He has had some good seasons so I can see it happening! Can't wait for the season to start! :D

Seriously though....Lester/Beckett/Matsuzaka/Wakefield/Penny/Smoltz/Buchholz/Bowden/Masterson?!?!!?! :p

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
well masterson should stay as an elite set up man if red sox have so much depth with the SP,
And I hope he does....and think he will. I loved having him in the BP

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
As a Sox fan, I know someone from the young depth is gone to pick up a catcher via trade. Hate to see them go, but this signing is just another precursor to a move for a catcher.

Also, I'm going to say I don't know why Joba belongs in talks about the rotation. PLEASE JG take him out of the bullpen, and put him in the rotation. He will be injured by June, with his history of arm troubles if he is a starter. The bullpen brought out the lights-out stuff. He need the regimented workload that the bullpen can bring.

Wes

OG
Administrator
baseballguy350 said:
As a Sox fan, I know someone from the young depth is gone to pick up a catcher via trade. Hate to see them go, but this signing is just another precursor to a move for a catcher.

Also, I'm going to say I don't know why Joba belongs in talks about the rotation. PLEASE JG take him out of the bullpen, and put him in the rotation. He will be injured by June, with his history of arm troubles if he is a starter. The bullpen brought out the lights-out stuff. He need the regimented workload that the bullpen can bring.

He was pretty lights out as a starter too so I don't think effectiveness is an issue.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
baseballguy350 said:

I disagree that pitching depth will be moved this season. They will end up signing Varitek to a 1 or 2 year deal and deal with the catching problem next season or at the trading deadline.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
baseballguy350 said:

I disagree that pitching depth will be moved this season. They will end up signing Varitek to a 1 or 2 year deal and deal with the catching problem next season or at the trading deadline.
+1

tonyrios

Aug 11, 2008
Brooklyn
LLWesMan said:
Reds in 2009 said:
scotty21690 said:

Not if the Cubs get Jake Peavy.

He would fit right in as another pitcher who hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs.

Or gotten to the playoffs? Give him a chance first!

Bostons Beckett, Lester, and Matsuzaka folds over to Sabathia, **** and Burnett. For real.

Wes

OG
Administrator
tonyrios said:
LLWesMan said:
Reds in 2009 said:
scotty21690 said:

Not if the Cubs get Jake Peavy.

He would fit right in as another pitcher who hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs.

Or gotten to the playoffs? Give him a chance first!

Bostons Beckett, Lester, and Matsuzaka folds over to Sabathia, **** and Burnett. For real.

How do you figure? When has Sabathia, **** OR Burnett done anything in the playoffs? Last time I checked Sabathia has done nothing but get absolutely shelled by the Red Sox in October. Peavy? Had a chance to pitch the Padres into the playoffs and got pounded by Colorado and outdueled by Aaron Cook in the 163rd game. Who else are the Cubs running out that has had playoff success? Dempster? He got annihilated as well. Zambrano? 7 Runs allowed. Harden? Couldn't get through five either. All against a lousy hitting Dodger team.

Members online