Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would this be bad? Topps Chrome Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
A few months back I told the guy at the shop I go to Id like to lock up 6 boxes of 2010 Topps Chrome.... a week or so later I told him bump it to a full case. I was working a ton of OT so I made 2 $300 down payments on the $875 case. Now that Strasburg has to have Tommy John surgery... would it be bad of me to ask the shop owner if I could transfer that money I have already paid to another product? Or should I just pay the $275 I still owe and get the case anyway and try my luck?.... hoping that a Mike Stanton or Pedro Alvarez will be added to the Auto checklist.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
If it was April and the same deal was made on 2010 bowman, would it of been ok
for the dealer to back out on you?

Kevin

abt3509

May 4, 2010
schmidtfan20 said:
If it was April and the same deal was made on 2010 bowman, would it of been ok
for the dealer to back out on you?

Kevin

Good point there. I too was able to get a case a couple months back for $760 from my LCS. The fact is that he would not have ordered as many cases as he had if my friend and I did not order a couple cases. I cannot put him in a position that would have him possibly losing money when he agreed to give me a good deal (at the time) on this case. I also got a jumbo bowman case from him for $780 and he could have easily backed out on me. As stated above, a deal is a deal.

Rodney

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Always look at it from the other side when asking about this.

If Stras had thrown a perfect game, for example, and prices doubled (hypothetically), would it have been ok for him to ask you for more on the same case?

You ordered early to lock in that price just in case of a jump. Can't back out now just because it doesn't favor you anymore.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
topps chrome has sold well only because in the past it has been an early season product. Its later in the season now and there have been much better products. I see this product failing big time even at the decent price point. Between football and baseball topps is going to have to put it into high gear, I don't see anything on the horizon worth buying.

Kevin

sbib

Aug 17, 2008
It would be best to take the case and finish paying for it - a deal is a deal. This is the big risk you take buying product as a presell - it could have gone the other way

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
For those who think it "can't hurt to ask", let me ask you this...

...if you sold a Strasburg card on ebay, and the next day he got hurt, and the buyer asked to back out of the deal, would you be okay? Hell, would you BLOCK the bidder if he did that and then come to these boards and call the buyer out as "someone to block"??

For as many of these "bad ebayer" threads we see on these boards, for situations involving prospect cards, I can't believe some think it's "okay to ask".

And as others have said, on the flip-side, if the owner asked you to pay MORE if the prices went up, you'd be IRRATE and probably stop doing business at that store.

Personally, it's NOT okay to ask and it's definitely not cool to ask. Man-up and stick to the deal you agreed to.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Sly said:

...if you sold a Strasburg card on ebay, and the next day he got hurt, and the buyer asked to back out of the deal, would you be okay? Hell, would you BLOCK the bidder if he did that and then come to these boards and call the buyer out as "someone to block"??

For as many of these "bad ebayer" threads we see on these boards, for situations involving prospect cards, I can't believe some think it's "okay to ask".

And as others have said, on the flip-side, if the owner asked you to pay MORE if the prices went up, you'd be IRRATE and probably stop doing business at that store.

Personally, it's NOT okay to ask and it's definitely not cool to ask. Man-up and stick to the deal you agreed to.
If someone is simply asking, but has full intention of honoring the original deal if his request is not met with acceptance, I do not see the big deal. Infact, your whole post is somewhat left of the main topic/context..

Clearly not the same thing. He is not asking not to pay at all for anything, he is asking to place the money elswhere, but still pay/buy something. And if someone kindly asked me to back out of an ebay sale, I most certinly would not get upset, block, or call them out. I would just answer them with regards to the situation.

Thats because you are confusing the difference between asking, and simply not paying. How in the world did you come to the notion that asking a question = horrible? It's obviously "ok" to ask, as long as you have intentions to honor the original deal as the op has. This is the context surrounding the post, not the context you wish to drag in.

Personally, it's NOT okay to ask and it's definitely not cool to ask. Man-up and stick to the deal you agreed to
This is your opinion, and certainly speaks volumes about the type of person, with regards to communication, that you are. If someone asking a question inline with the actual context of this thread would bother you that much, I think it speaks more about you than anything else.

Let me just state now, I would not ask if it were me. But, it would not hurt to ask if you have every intention to pay and honor the original deal if it's not acceptable to the seller. I would have no problem fielding such questions, and it would by no means lead to me blocking or calling out anyone..

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:
Sly said:

If someone is simply asking, but has full intention of honoring the original deal if his request is not met with acceptance, I do not see the big deal. Infact, your whole post is somewhat left of the main topic/context..

Clearly not the same thing. He is not asking not to pay at all for anything, he is asking to place the money elswhere, but still pay/buy something. And if someone kindly asked me to back out of an ebay sale, I most certinly would not get upset, block, or call them out. I would just answer them with regards to the situation.

[quote:1smwn8cq]For as many of these "bad ebayer" threads we see on these boards, for situations involving prospect cards, I can't believe some think it's "okay to ask".
Thats because you are confusing the difference between asking, and simply not paying. How in the world did you come to the notion that asking a question = horrible? It's obviously "ok" to ask, as long as you have intentions to honor the original deal as the op has. This is the context surrounding the post, not the context you wish to drag in.

Personally, it's NOT okay to ask and it's definitely not cool to ask. Man-up and stick to the deal you agreed to
This is your opinion, and certainly speaks volumes about the type of person, with regards to communication, that you are. If someone asking a question inline with the actual context of this thread would bother you that much, I think it speaks more about you than anything else.

Let me just state now, I would not ask if it were me. But, it would not hurt to ask if you have every intention to pay and honor the original deal if it's not acceptable to the seller. I would have no problem fielding such questions, and it would by no means lead to me blocking or calling out anyone..[/quote:1smwn8cq]

You're right, it DOES speak to the type of person I am...the type that wouldn't want out of a deal because the price will surely be dropping on what I was purchasing, and it's no longer worth what I agreed to pay for. I am one who wouldn't even ASK to get out of the deal, because I HONOR my deals.

So instead of paying $875 for a case now, I'll pay $875 for other stuff, meanwhile the LCS owner is now stuck with this case of product that he probably also paid a higher price for and will also need to jack up the price and probably not be able to sell it. Sure the LCS owner may be able to sell some other product, but you think he's going to be able to sell this case of Topps Chrome that he's already committed to buying from Topps?? He's going to have to jack up the price to get his money back (and some profit). I'm guessing if he asked Topps to let him "buy something else", Topps would laugh at him.

Again, if a dealer asked you to pay more on an item, after already agreeing on a price, are you saying you'd have absolutely NO issues with him "asking"?? I'm sure you'll be saying "I'd have no issues", but I'll go ahead and call BS on that already. You'd be absolutely irrate that someone even dared to ASK you to pay more on something after already agreeing to a deal.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Sly said:
matfanofold said:
Sly said:

[quote:3338zd6h]For as many of these "bad ebayer" threads we see on these boards, for situations involving prospect cards, I can't believe some think it's "okay to ask".

[quote:3338zd6h]Personally, it's NOT okay to ask and it's definitely not cool to ask. Man-up and stick to the deal you agreed to

Let me just state now, I would not ask if it were me. But, it would not hurt to ask if you have every intention to pay and honor the original deal if it's not acceptable to the seller. I would have no problem fielding such questions, and it would by no means lead to me blocking or calling out anyone..[/quote:3338zd6h]

You're right, it DOES speak to the type of person I am...the type that wouldn't want out of a deal because the price will surely be dropping on what I was purchasing, and it's no longer worth what I agreed to pay for. I am one who wouldn't even ASK to get out of the deal, because I HONOR my deals.

So instead of paying $875 for a case now, I'll pay $875 for other stuff, meanwhile the LCS owner is now stuck with this case of product that he probably also paid a higher price for and will also need to jack up the price and probably not be able to sell it. Sure the LCS owner may be able to sell some other product, but you think he's going to be able to sell this case of Topps Chrome that he's already committed to buying from Topps?? He's going to have to jack up the price to get his money back (and some profit). I'm guessing if he asked Topps to let him "buy something else", Topps would laugh at him.

Again, if a dealer asked you to pay more on an item, after already agreeing on a price, are you saying you'd have absolutely NO issues with him "asking"?? I'm sure you'll be saying "I'd have no issues", but I'll go ahead and call BS on that already. You'd be absolutely irrate that someone even dared to ASK you to pay more on something after already agreeing to a deal.[/quote:3338zd6h]

Again, your whole line of analogy is left of actual context. The op is not asking to pay 'less' as would warrent an analogy about the LCS owner asking for 'more'. I feel this is part of your confusion in not understanding the context. The op was hoping to ask to place the monies elswhere, not more or less, just elswhere.

But, and again, I will say that I personally wound not ask. I would honor the intital deal, period. Having said that, I would have no problem fielding such questions. There is a HUGH difference between someone actively trying to back out of a deal that would leave a seller stuck with nothing but waisted time, or asking if they can buy something else other than what was originally requested(with full intent to honor the original deal if denied). And that is the other part I think your having trouble distinguishing inbetween.

Maybe your right and I just put too much stock on communication. Maybe I am too willing to believe that sometimes people can communicate changes in original plans and still come to terms acceptable to one another. On second thought, I like the fact I think a healthy line of communication is valuable. I like the notion of people thinking I am easily approachable with any questions they may have. My opinion stands, if he is comfortable asking for this from his LCS, and has no issues with upholding the original deal if denied, then no harm was done.

I appreciate your stance, but it differs from mine.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
schmidtfan20 said:
In one month you will NOT hear this on the trade boards:

" Do you have any 2010 topps chrome?"

of course not.

hell, i cant even find most years of Pujols/ARod A&G Minis to buy/trade for.

if it aint prospects, they aint interested!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts