Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOFers who should not be in the HOF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
nyc3 said:
vintagerookies51 said:
who SHOULD be in the HOF: Roger Maris

What? No he shouldn't 1 great season is hardly a reason.

He had 2x MVP seasons
and stared in the '68 series for the Cards

But I wouldn't vote for him to get in

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
nyc3 said:
vintagerookies51 said:

That's the reasoning used for McGwire. Besides HRs, there is nothing HOF worthy about his career. Everyone points to 1998 for McGwire, why can't people point to 1961 for Maris?

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
By position:

Egregious Inductions
C Rick Ferrell
1B George Kelly
2B Johnny Evers
3B Freddie Lindstrom
SS Joe Tinker
LF Heinie Manush
CF Chick Hafey
RF Harry Hooper
SP Catfish Hunter

And for fun:

Egregious Omissions
C Ted Simmons (it would be Torre but he’s getting in when he retires from managing)
1B Will Clark
2B Bobby Grich
3B Ron Santo
SS Alan Trammell
LF Tim Raines
CF Nobody – Dale Murphy if forced to choose
RF Dwight Evans
SP Bert Blyleven

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Even though he was a clutch hitter and was part of of some great championship teams, I do not feel Tony Perez is Hall Of fame worthy.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:
vintagerookies51 said:

That's the reasoning used for McGwire. Besides HRs, there is nothing HOF worthy about his career. Everyone points to 1998 for McGwire, why can't people point to 1961 for Maris?

How about a .394 lifetime on base % (.345 for Maris). And a lifetime OPS+ of 162 (127 for Maris) - good for 12th all time. Not HOF worthy? McGwire was considerably better than Maris.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
craftysouthpaw said:
muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:
vintagerookies51 said:

How about a .394 lifetime on base % (.345 for Maris). And a lifetime OPS+ of 162 (127 for Maris) - good for 12th all time. Not HOF worthy? McGwire was considerably better than Maris.

I'm not comparing the two as players, but McGwire is not a HOFer either. Just pointing out that when making cases for either players, people point to one season for each.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
craftysouthpaw said:
By position:

Egregious Inductions
C Rick Ferrell
1B George Kelly
2B Johnny Evers
3B Freddie Lindstrom
SS Joe Tinker
LF Heinie Manush
CF Chick Hafey
RF Harry Hooper
SP Catfish Hunter

And for fun:

Egregious Omissions
C Ted Simmons (it would be Torre but he’s getting in when he retires from managing)
1B Will Clark
2B Bobby Grich
3B Ron Santo
SS Alan Trammell
LF Tim Raines
RF Dwight Evans
SP Bert Blyleven

Without looking at all the names on your lists I would argue the Catfish Hunter deserves in
x5 20 wins
x5 WS rings
x8 All Star

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
muskiesfan said:
craftysouthpaw said:
muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:
vintagerookies51 said:

I'm not comparing the two as players, but McGwire is not a HOFer either. Just pointing out that when making cases for either players, people point to one season for each.

Got it - my fault for mis-interpreting. Although I don't know that people point to just one season for McGwire. The guy hit
49 bombs his rookie year and had 6 years with 40+ (and 2 more with 39). 12th all time in OPS+ and 9th all time is slugging % seems to me like he had plenty of great years.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:
vintagerookies51 said:

Monster Rookie Year. Most HR's by a rookie if I remember right.
49 HR's I believe.

So saying.... he's got more than '98 on his side.

*didn't read all the posts before commenting on this. See someone already mentioned it. Oh well.

Metsfan75

Jan 25, 2009
I think John Franco SHOULD also be in the HOF.

- 424 Saves (4th All time) (Most by a lefty)
- 975 Strikeouts
- 4x All-Star
- 1245 2/3 Innings Pitches

Metsfan75

Jan 25, 2009
I think John Franco SHOULD also be in the HOF.

- 424 Saves (4th All time) (Most by a lefty)
- 975 Strikeouts
- 4x All-Star
- 1245 2/3 Innings Pitches

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
js0000001 said:
craftysouthpaw said:
By position:

Egregious Inductions
C Rick Ferrell
1B George Kelly
2B Johnny Evers
3B Freddie Lindstrom
SS Joe Tinker
LF Heinie Manush
CF Chick Hafey
RF Harry Hooper
SP Catfish Hunter

And for fun:

Egregious Omissions
1B Will Clark
2B Bobby Grich
3B Ron Santo
SS Alan Trammell
LF Tim Raines
RF Dwight Evans
SP Bert Blyleven

Without looking at all the names on your lists I would argue the Catfish Hunter deserves in
x5 20 wins
x5 WS rings
x8 All Star

He was a good pitcher that looked better because of the teams he played on IMO. He wouldn't have had any of those totals (wins, WS rings, AS games) if he didn't play for the A's and Yankees during their dominance during the '70's. I think you could have stuck 30 other non-HOF'ers from that same era in his place and they would have wound up with similar numbers. Career ERA+ of 105 is pretty mediocre. But I agree he probably has the strongest argument of my list.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
craftysouthpaw said:
muskiesfan said:
craftysouthpaw said:
muskiesfan said:
nyc3 said:
[quote="vintagerookies51":16wh3i7c]who SHOULD be in the HOF: Roger Maris

Got it - my fault for mis-interpreting. Although I don't know that people point to just one season for McGwire. The guy hit
49 bombs his rookie year and had 6 years with 40+ (and 2 more with 39). 12th all time in OPS+ and 9th all time is slugging % seems to me like he had plenty of great years.[/quote:16wh3i7c]

Not saying McGwire was a bad ball player. I don't think he belongs in the HOF. There have been plenty of different HOF discussions on this board and when McGwire gets brought up, there are always people who say he deserves in for 1998 if nothing else. If I really wanted to invest the time, I am sure I could find 20+ posts saying that from members here on FCB.

Again, I'm not saying McGwire was a bad player, not comparing him to Maris, and I'm not saying that he didn't put up some good numbers in a handful of categories. I'm just saying when taking his entire body of work into account, the guy just doesn't seem like a HOFer to me.

Members online

Latest posts