Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Case break secrets? Is there a magic number or formula?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
I just got back into the hobby this year. I'm surprised how much product some of you open, especially the case breakers.

So far, I've learned that, in order for me to not end up on the street, I need to focus my resources to specific products...and to almost have a game plan when buying things. Far too often, I find myself to be like a kid in a candy shop...grabbing everything that looks good...when in reality, there's only one thing I want.

So here's my question to all your case breakers. How in the world do you do it? Is there some magic formula or top secret method to your madness? How do people like brentandbecca open 800 boxes or product and continue to do it for so many different products.

Main question, how many cases of a given product would I need to buy to have a good chance of getting my money back? Because I've probably spent thousands so far and I don't have much to show for it except a bunch of boxes filled with base cards.

And for those of you that don't case break...care to speculate on how it's done? I'd like to break open a few cases, but not if I can't make some of the money back.

edit: to keep this baseball related, how many cases of Bowman Chrome would I have to purchase to have a good chance of getting some decent stuff. I realize it's mostly luck, but still. Am I shooting myself in the foot if I only buy 1 case?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I am noþ sure if there are any secrets, but here are my thoughts.

Pick a product that has inserts and base cards that will bring you back a decent % of your initial investment.

Pick a product that has multiple big hit possiblities that would each pay for a good % of your investment if hit.

Buy your cases via pre-sell as early as possible to get the best possible price.

Receive, rip, sort, and sell as quickly as humanly possible.

And pick a product that has a following.

I have had some success when I have followed these rules.

I am sure others have many more thoughts.

Good luck

Skrip

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I only open 1 case of everything..
I have customers from having my website since 2001
I basically bust anything that when I get big hits, it's a bonus and not have to depend on them to break even..
I like products with a lot of inserts and a lot of base cards..
This years Topps ser1 & 2 were awesome
and I broke 1 case of bowman and sold $2000 worth of cards out of it.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
"and sell as quickly as humanly possible" I am not convinced that this is the best method---It is starting to seem to me that if you can hold for a short time---there is more profit...my opionion.

Members online

Latest posts