Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I sold off most of my baseball cards today (20 yrs worth)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metrotheme

Dec 3, 2009
I spent a good part of the weekend taking my cards out of binders and putting them into 700 count boxes to clear up some shelf space. After it was said and done, I realized that I no longer needed these cards. They were commons from 87-93, just about the time when everyone who is now over 25 was collecting heavily (think jr.high / early high school). I wound up with about 8 "new" boxes that came out of the cards that I pulled from the binders. I had about another 12 in the closet. After deciding to keep a few boxes of just Topps cards, one box from 87, 88, 89, 90 and 92, I came to the conclusion that the rest had to go.

Knowing the value of these cards, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get any money past postage for them. I put a few notices on other message boards that I would sell them for basically the s/h costs and I had no takers.

I then put them on craigslist for $5 per box of commons, which comes out to almost $.01 per card. Someone hit me up within the day, wanting the whole thing. In the end I sold him 15 (700 ct.) boxes for $65. It's kind of liberating to get away from all of those cards. I have about 6 boxes that I kept which fit nicely into one corner of the shelf in my closet and about 4 moderate sized binders of cards.

The cards I kept aren't worth a whole lot, but I wanted some for TTM / IP purposes. Has anyone else gone through a similar purge of their cards and if so, what was your experience?

PS - I have about 150 9-pocket pages here and a few binders if anyone is interested. If so, PM me.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
My dad was a quantity/quality person, so everytime we would go to the LCS, he would buy a monster box of commons for about $5. Now I am stuck with THOUSANDS of base, they litter the floors, shelves, and boxes in the basement. I decided a year ago or so that enough is enough. I tried selling what I could, with a few takers... If craig'slist worked for you I might have to try it. I am going to college in a year and a half and I can only take a few cards. I have gotton so frustrated with all my cards, that one day I found some manilla envelopes, a pen, and some paper bags, and I started stuffing cards into them and I just gave them away. I also sell team lots, and those go for pretty good, except when I make them, they get moved on me and I am missing one that I HAVE to find...

I keep a couple hundred commons handy for TTM, and I was going to pluck every TTM signer out of the common boxes, but that isn't going to work, so they are all going to go. That way maybe I can get some fundage for BGS gradings/authentications and ball cubes. I don't want to just chuck them, because then we lose whatever money we had. Even if I can bring in a fraction of what we put into them, it's worth it for me.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
my mom sold everything we had in her attic last year in a yard sale for $100.. it was like 15 or so 5k boxes full of commons from late 80's early 90's and some sets from those years too. I was shocked she got that much although its not much considering the volume of stuff bought (even though worthless on the secondary market). Less I had to deal with to be honest so I was happy to hear it went.

metrotheme

Dec 3, 2009
I posted this a few other places. It sounds like I got decent money for the cards being I sold the equivalent of TWO 5,000 ct. boxes for $65.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I had 3 Dell computer boxes full of '80s & '90s commons (about 15,000 cards each box) and I put a $15.00 price on each box at our garage sale. A man and his young son bought a box earlier in the morning and came back and bought the other two around noon. 45,000 commons for $45 sounded good enough for me.

voteEjordan

Jul 10, 2010
Washington DC
when it comes to commons, i'll take any price a buyer will pay! unless i've put the card in one of my collections or sets, i'll take any price above $0.

The problem is always the effort involved- ebay is cost prohibitive.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
And if you can't sell them, give them away. Taking a hint from others, last year I put together team bags full of cards for Halloween. Since I've been collecting for 30+ years, I had plenty to choose from. Last year I put together bags of 10 cards split between 1987 Topps and 2007 Bowman. Since I live in MN I made sure each bag contained a Twins card and also an all-star. I think I gave out 50+ bags and will probably try to do the same this year with 1988/2008.

Members online