Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prices have dropped...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've been looking at some prices and there have been a whole bunch of guys who seem to be going very low right now. I guess this is pretty much the list of guys I would be buying if funds weren't tight.

Miguel Cabrera- His Topps Traded Autograph hit $500 earlier this year, and it has been $800 in the past. For some reason in the last couple of weeks it has dropped to $350 even though he's still a legit MVP candidate and has taken an already superlative career to the next level. Only RC Auto as well.

Carl Crawford- Should get a chance to show his stuff in the Playoffs, right before he is a free agent. Topps Traded Auto is sitting at around $40. Also his only RC Auto.

Jon Lester- Bowman Chrome Auto's have been under $25 recently. Hard to fathom. When I posted about selling stuff his were the stuff of mine the most people asked for, so it's clear that the interest is there. I think that people have just gotten used to the prices sitting and don't feel the need to push it but IMO the day something sets them moving, they could jump a whole lot.

Alex Rodriguez- His 1994 Upper Deck Autograph has been going around $200, which is ridiculously low for what it is (RC year auto of one of the best all time.) Do make sure that the authenticity sticker on the back is legit...

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
All the big money is going for players who haven't hit the majors yet. Once a player
does well, there is an initial spike but then collectors get bored. You see it every year.

Kevin

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
All the big money is going for players who haven't hit the majors yet. Once a player
does well, there is an initial spike but then collectors get bored. You see it every year.

Kevin
Could be true, but there is plenty of money to be made with guys in the Bigs and the market is at times more rational. With all the guys I mention I believe there will be payoffs, and very possibly pretty significant payoffs.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
miguel cabrera is a very popular player...and yeah i think his topps traded is a great buy, i mean he only has one rc auto...i also think people dont understand that he is only 8 hr's away from 250 career and oh yeah he is only 27...

jacobbocce72

Aug 7, 2008
Austin, TX
Topnotchsy said:
I've been looking at some prices and there have been a whole bunch of guys who seem to be going very low right now. I guess this is pretty much the list of guys I would be buying if funds weren't tight.

Miguel Cabrera- His Topps Traded Autograph hit $500 earlier this year, and it has been $800 in the past. For some reason in the last couple of weeks it has dropped to $350 even though he's still a legit MVP candidate and has taken an already superlative career to the next level. Only RC Auto as well.

Carl Crawford- Should get a chance to show his stuff in the Playoffs, right before he is a free agent. Topps Traded Auto is sitting at around $40. Also his only RC Auto.

Jon Lester- Bowman Chrome Auto's have been under $25 recently. Hard to fathom. When I posted about selling stuff his were the stuff of mine the most people asked for, so it's clear that the interest is there. I think that people have just gotten used to the prices sitting and don't feel the need to push it but IMO the day something sets them moving, they could jump a whole lot.

Alex Rodriguez- His 1994 Upper Deck Autograph has been going around $200, which is ridiculously low for what it is (RC year auto of one of the best all time.) Do make sure that the authenticity sticker on the back is legit...

I've always been interested in "prospecting" those who are already in the majors. Once my card budget is up and running once again I may give it shot.

Lester's stuff does seem pretty low, especially with a bigger market team like the Red Sox. One guy that I have done a bit of "major league prospecting" with is Adrain Gonzalez. Don't know if I will ever see a payoff... but it only takes one trade/playoff run for his stuff to go up.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I don't prospect at all so I'm not up on what moves the market but I've always been stunned that Lester's cards aren't, like, triple what they are. Major market with a rabid fan base, elite pitcher, threw a no-hitter, and had a news story that transcended sports. That's like a perfect storm for ridiculous prices. What gives?

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
My theory is that most players have one peak price. There are some exceptions to this (Josh Hamilton comes to mind), but for the most part, there is one period when you must sell. After that, no matter how well the player performs, his cards will be stuck in neutral. Even earlier this year when Cano was ridiculous, his cards weren't going for nearly as much as they were in 2006 (?).

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
I have a feeling that the Crawford's are gonna see a huge boost this offseason no matter where he signs, also I hadn't realized that Miggy auto's have dropped that low, if only I had the cash :evil:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
You're saying they're going very low right now - but low compared to what? Perhaps the players or cards you're comparing them to are too high and these Miggy, Crawford and Lester prices are much more realistic.

Topnotchsy said:

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Those completed prices on Cabrera are for non-graded cards. I would imagine the prices on those are a bit depressed due to the concerns over condition and possible trimming among raw cards (IE: if they were worth grading, they would have been).

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
Sean_C said:
Those completed prices on Cabrera are for non-graded cards. I would imagine the prices on those are a bit depressed due to the concerns over condition and possible trimming among raw cards (IE: if they were worth grading, they would have been).

yeah but what does that have to do with his point....raw's were getting 500 plus just a month ago

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
You're saying they're going very low right now - but low compared to what? Perhaps the players or cards you're comparing them to are too high and these Miggy, Crawford and Lester prices are much more realistic.

Topnotchsy said:

It's pretty obvious he's stating that they're low compared to what the cards used to sell for, especially since most of them have only one rookie auto aside from Lester, even though the players have been performing well.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
C-Note92 said:

Topnotchsy said:

It's pretty obvious he's stating that they're low compared to what the cards used to sell for, especially since most of them have only one rookie auto aside from Lester, even though the players have been performing well.

But the only player he said that about was Cabrera.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
C-Note92 said:

Topnotchsy said:

But the only player he said that about was Cabrera.

Every single player that he has listed has dropped of significantly in value as far as I can remember, I've just gotten back into the hobby after a two year break but from what I remember Cabrera's TT Auto's have gone like he said as high as $800, I'm also pretty sure Crawford's autos have been at least double what they are, if not more. Lester's BC Auto's used to sell for at least double they are now as well, especially when he made his comeback. The A-Rod's I am not sure of, but I know it is an extremely popular card and I have no doubt that they have sold for way higher than the prices that they are currently selling for.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
I will stand by my earlier claim that there are plenty of miggy tt autos out there.
Still plenty of unopened sets available

If I remember correctly the auto's are in the base sets right? Not the chrome ones.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes I thought it more appropriate to compare the cards the OP listed with comparable cards of comparable players.

Not saying these prices couldn't rise again, but the HI prices the OP was thinking of may have been inflated to begin with, which may best describe the current decline in price. Modern FY/RC card prices naturally seem to drop and stabilize after the player's been in the Show a while anyway.

C-Note92 said:
Every single player that he has listed has dropped of significantly in value as far as I can remember, I've just gotten back into the hobby after a two year break but from what I remember Cabrera's TT Auto's have gone like he said as high as $800, I'm also pretty sure Crawford's autos have been at least double what they are, if not more. Lester's BC Auto's used to sell for at least double they are now as well, especially when he made his comeback. The A-Rod's I am not sure of, but I know it is an extremely popular card and I have no doubt that they have sold for way higher than the prices that they are currently selling for.

Members online

Latest posts