Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Favorite Baseball Item, Vintage Style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I posted this on the vintage boards last night and figured I'd post it here for all to see as well.

Just recently I decided to start a vintage collection, modern cards are becoming too expensive and I love the history behind the older cards. I wanted to collect a player that meant something to me and was reasonably priced, a ton of names came to mind and I settled on Larry Doyle. The reason I chose Mr. Doyle was actually based on a video game. In the early 1990's I spent hours upon hours playing Tony LaRussa's Ultimate Baseball on my IBM PC.
Tony_La_Russa27s_Ultimate_Baseball_Coverart.png

This game was fantastic, and I purchased all of the expansion disks available for it. One of those disks included all-time great teams for all of the current MLB teams. The Giants, my favorite team, had players I had never heard of. This game forced me to look up player after player to see how great they were and why they were included in the game. It fueled my ever growing love for the history of baseball and one of the players I looked up was Larry Doyle-2B. I found out he was a great player for the New York Giants and was know for his power, plus he was the MVP in 1912. I loved him as a player on the game and now, almost 20 years later, the fantastic memory of increasing my baseball knowledge has lead me to starting this collection.

Now on to my new favorite item, a Sweet Caporal Pin of Larry Doyle, I think from 1911. (Sorry for the poor pics) I love how sharp this pin is and it's a fantastic looking piece.
1910-12DoyleCaporalPinSmallFront.jpg
1910-12DoyleCaporalPinSmallBack.jpg

Close ups of the pin:
DoylePinCropFront.jpgDoylePinCropBack.jpg

Sorry for the long read, I've always loved the reasons behind peoples collections and I turely believe that every crease in a vintage card helps to tell the history and love the card has survived through. Thanks for taking a look.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Nice P2, now you need to find the "Large Letter" Doyle :)

In case you use search features.... Most collectors call the set P2, the name in the American Card Catalog (ACC)

Do you collect only Larry Doyle stuff, or all Giants?

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Thanks for the comments guys!

Frank, I collect Giants, but decided to focus on Doyle when and where I can. My "white whale" at this point for vintage would be an N172 Old Judge of Tim Keefe. I do the same with modern cards, collect Giants, but focus on Will Clark, Robby Thompson and a couple of others.

Latest posts