Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Complete Game & The New York Yankees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
What's the deal!? I just don't get these guys. CC went on a CG tear like never before when he was on the Brewers, appearing in 17 games and throwing a CG in 7 of those games. In the 2 years he's been with the Yankees, he's had 4 CGs. And I think those were games that got called in the 7th due to rain. I just looked, and the Yankees starters, even though for a minute there it looked like they might have 4 guys with 20 wins.... they have THREE complete games this year between all of 'em, and 2 of those are CC's.

I have put most of the blame on Mariano Rivera. I know they like to artificially inflate his save #, so even though there's no reason to take the starter out in the 9th the Yankees usually do. Today though, they blew my mind.

CC was ON today. At the end of the 7th, he had thrown 72 pitches. That's pretty great. He had only allowed 1 hit. At the end of 8 he was up to 95 pitches, but still working the 1 hitter. He frequently throws 120-130 pitches. In his last start he only threw ~65 pitches, so he's well rested. Doesn't it seem like the Yankees would let him go for the 1 hitter? Or the complete game?

Instead they bring in Albaladejo. ::facepalm::

I just don't get it.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I'd rather not do what the Brewers did to him?

You remember him in the playoffs that year?

I would rather Sabathia go 8 innings with less than 100 pitches rather that 9 innings with 125.

CC will get taken out earlier over the next month. He needs to be ready to pitch every third day in the playoffs :)

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
CC is not going golfing in Oct they will most likely go deep into the playoffs. Thats what counts the game was never in question. Its an easy call for a manager.

RL24 said:
What's the deal!? I just don't get these guys. CC went on a CG tear like never before when he was on the Brewers, appearing in 17 games and throwing a CG in 7 of those games. In the 2 years he's been with the Yankees, he's had 4 CGs. And I think those were games that got called in the 7th due to rain. I just looked, and the Yankees starters, even though for a minute there it looked like they might have 4 guys with 20 wins.... they have THREE complete games this year between all of 'em, and 2 of those are CC's.

I have put most of the blame on Mariano Rivera. I know they like to artificially inflate his save #, so even though there's no reason to take the starter out in the 9th the Yankees usually do. Today though, they blew my mind.

CC was ON today. At the end of the 7th, he had thrown 72 pitches. That's pretty great. He had only allowed 1 hit. At the end of 8 he was up to 95 pitches, but still working the 1 hitter. He frequently throws 120-130 pitches. In his last start he only threw ~65 pitches, so he's well rested. Doesn't it seem like the Yankees would let him go for the 1 hitter? Or the complete game?

Instead they bring in Albaladejo. ::facepalm::

I just don't get it.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
When do you want your best pitcher pitching at his best?

September, or October?

22 Wins for Sabathia, then October.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Damn, you guys make some really good points.

Team related points. :|

I guess I'm just more about the one guy. Maybe I'm the only one. Being a tribe fan and all. :lol:

I'd like to see him win another ring, but.... I also want to see him pick up that Cy Young! A 1 hitter to go with his great Ws, and getting better ERA, and so on and so forth....

It is just weird to me I guess. It's unfair! When arguing for your guy to win the Cy, people always bring up the CG factor. When I guess most of the time it's more like "We can't afford to take him out, our bullpen sucks, so we need to keep him in for the whole 9 innings." But then that somehow counts against CC because he has a good closer?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
vwnut13 said:
22 Wins for Sabathia, then October.

That would be really, really, really nice.

I don't know how many times I've ranted on misc message boards about the 20 win thing. Poor CC. He has taught me how difficult it is to win 20 games, and how much LUCK is involved in getting a W.

I spoke about it in the Ubaldo 30 wins thread. It takes so much luck. People scoffed. Ubaldo can't win #18. When CC won #18 it was his lucky day, although quite unlucky. He broke his streak of 16 quality starts. But still managed to get that elusive 18th W.

CC should have won 20 games every year for the last 5 years or so. I mean, you look at a season... he had 19 wins... earlier in the year he threw what should have been a CG SO, 9 innings of pitching while allowing 0 runs. How can you not win!? Well, it's easy, you play for the Indians, who manage to produce 0 runs during that same 9 inning span. ::facepalm:: :lol: :? :oops: :cry:

And there are so many examples like that. CC left the game in the 7th with a 6-1 lead, but it was his unlucky day, his bullpen allowed 10 runs, the tribe lost, and he didn't get the W he pitched so well for. He pitches 4 2/3 innings of domination, gets 2 strikes on the batter... just 1 strike away from 5 innings so he is eligible for the W, and....... BOOOM... the ump calls a break because of the rain. Right there before he threw that third strike. The Yankees get the win, but poor CC doesn't get the win. etc etc etc

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Most uninformed comment I seen driven by hate around here in a while, congratulation.

RL24 said:
I have put most of the blame on Mariano Rivera. I know they like to artificially inflate his save #

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
nyc3 said:
Most uninformed comment I seen driven by hate around here in a while, congratulation.

RL24 said:
I have put most of the blame on Mariano Rivera. I know they like to artificially inflate his save #

I don't hate Mariano, I love him. I think he's the best closer ever, and it's really nice to know in a tight game that he can come in and secure the W for CC.

But seriously... when most other teams would let their starter add a nice CG to their resume... the Yankees priority is adding a nice S to Mariano's. That's not hate, that's truth.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
RL24 said:
nyc3 said:

RL24 said:

I don't hate Mariano, I love him. I think he's the best closer ever, and it's really nice to know in a tight game that he can come in and secure the W for CC.

But seriously... when most other teams would let their starter add a nice CG to their resume... the Yankees priority is adding a nice S to Mariano's. That's not hate, that's truth.

Also, I'd like to add that the only team in the world (AL) that has less CGs than the Yankees is the Orioles.

Isn't it odd that the Yankees have such a great starting rotation, and so very very very very few complete games? ::scratches head::

Dang but I did just notice the Padres have 1 CG this year.

porcello94

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah I think they're just saving some of the fuel in the tank for not only october, but when they need to skip over bum Burnett in a big series.

yanxchick

Dec 5, 2009
It was also about 95 degrees in NY today.

Why make the guy throw more than he has to? I think you are looking at it the wrong way because baseball is an individual sport based around a team concept. But you have to remember, it's a team sport. For the most part, guys don't care of they throw a complete game or not. They just want to get their team in a position to win the game, which he has done.

Save his arm for the playoffs because at this rate, he's the only reliable starter the Yankees have right now. The Yankees want to preserve that.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Not yet, but it's encouraging. I have found that most of the huge auctions are for Yankees cards, and kinda thought nobody really wants the Indians cards. But since I've stopped bidding, which you would think would really make those Indians cards cheap, I have actually noticed that everything still sells for way more than it used to.

Right now I've been really busy with life and selling Rickey cards (if you still need a Mets Bat card hit me up) but I'm hoping to find time to load up turbo lister with a bunch of CC auctions for the playoffs....

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
So yeah, I read an article this morning about the game last night, and you guys are really smart. It basically just said all the things you said. I really didn't give the heat much credit until I read that that's what forced Braden out of the game. So I guess the heat really was intense!

In my defense though, CC was right there with me... he wanted to complete the game, he wanted his 3rd CG of the year and his second career 1 hitter.

But the article said Girardi wanted to protect his Ace, and CC is really all the staff has going for them, and all the other things you guys said. I guess my main problem is that I care more about CC Sabathia than I do the Yankees. :eek: I know, my bad... :oops:

:lol:

Members online

Latest posts