Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pitchers, no, STAR PITCHERS, who came back from TJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Totally still lots of hope for Stras. In fact, I might be a buyer of his lower end stuff, base BC and Bowman when they totally bottom out. Imagine if he actually comes back BETTER?

Josh Johnson
Chris Carpenter
Smoltz
soria
wagner
david wells
hudson
liriano
Mariano Rivera, but didnt actually have it repaired (never knew this)
and Tommy John

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
It happened so early in his career... when he should be at his freshest and strongest... arm wise

That's extremely worrisome IMO

With the hard curve and the "inverted W"..... Id say he WILL have trouble his WHOLE career and it may be a short one at that.
(he's set for life $$ wise)

Its not like he will have a second career as a short inning 2 pitch closer or dinky-d-do junker, like many TJ's before him.

Invest your $$ in Mathewson, Johnson, and Young..... They will always be superstars!

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
Kerry Wood. He came back from TJ surgery and was a dependable closer for the Cubs his last two years with the club. Oh, and for the record, anytime you can strike out 20 in a game, you are a star.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ha, what are the odds that a guy with the same name of the surgery had it? That's a pretty cruel joke by the universe.

I never stopped and thought of who all has had it before...didn't realize it was a list with some of those names.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I think Tommy John was the first in baseball to have such a radical procedure, so they naturally name the procedure after him.

Card Magnet said:
Ha, what are the odds that a guy with the same name of the surgery had it? That's a pretty cruel joke by the universe.

I never stopped and thought of who all has had it before...didn't realize it was a list with some of those names.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
011873 said:
Totally still lots of hope for Stras. In fact, I might be a buyer of his lower end stuff, base BC and Bowman when they totally bottom out. Imagine if he actually comes back BETTER?

Josh Johnson
Chris Carpenter
Smoltz
soria
wagner
david wells
hudson
liriano
and Tommy John

How about Francisco Liriano? He's made a nice comeback.

2006 - 121 IP, 144 K, 2.16 ERA
2007 - TJ Surgery
2008 - 76 IP, 67 K, 3.91 ERA
2009 - 136 IP, 122 K, 5.80 ERA
2010 - 165 IP, 178 K, 3.27 ERA

This seems to be a common pattern for TJ surgery where it takes a while to get all the way back. The best time to buy Strasburg may be the first year he is back when he struggles and people start dumping his cards.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Lars said:
I think Tommy John was the first in baseball to have such a radical procedure, so they naturally name the procedure after him.

Card Magnet said:

I probably should have noted that I was just joking around about Tommy John :lol:

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Card Magnet said:

I always wondered the same think about Lou Gehrig's Disease. He HAD to know something was up when he had the same name as that disease, right?

wittcap79

Aug 24, 2010
011873 said:

Josh Johnson
Chris Carpenter
Smoltz
soria
wagner
david wells
hudson
liriano
and Tommy John

Here's the thing though, even if he does come back (I hope) and pitches to 95% of what he was, will his cards ever have the value that they held this year? I'm not so sure about that, all the hype, all the buildup, and then he comes out and K's 14 in his debut prices go THROUGH THE ROOF and then this. I just don't think it'll ever be that high again...although...can he generate the same hype when he comes back from TJ? That would be the only hope...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
fkw said:
It happened so early in his career... when he should be at his freshest and strongest... arm wise

That's extremely worrisome IMO

With the hard curve and the "inverted W"..... Id say he WILL have trouble his WHOLE career and it may be a short one at that.
(he's set for life $$ wise)

~Im sure glad FCB has been graced with so many knowledgable Major League Scouts who know how to conduct flawless mechanics~

Members online

No members online now.