Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 College Football Upset Thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
College football season is here. Lets hope for an exciting season as last years.

Week one.
Utah-27 Pitt(15)-24
Florida Atlantic-32 UAB-31
Jacksonville State-49 Ole Miss-48
North Dakota State-6 Kansas-3

Week two
Kansas-28 Georgia Tech(17)-25
James Madison-21 Virginia Tech(13)-16
South Dakota-41 Minnesota-38

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Daltonb1219 said:
College football season is here. Lets hope for an exciting season as last years.

Week one.
Utah-27 Pitt(15)-24

If we're just going to start calling every ranked team losing an upset, we'll be in trouble. I don't think this was even close to an upset. Everybody had Utah in the Top-30 and the game was at Utah. I think Pittsburgh winning in Utah would've been an upset. Two evenly matched teams separated by home-field advantage -- if that's an upset, then the season will be filled with 'em.

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
pigskincardboard said:
Daltonb1219 said:

Week one.
Utah-27 Pitt(15)-24

If we're just going to start calling every ranked team losing an upset, we'll be in trouble. I don't think this was even close to an upset. Everybody had Utah in the Top-30 and the game was at Utah. I think Pittsburgh winning in Utah would've been an upset. Two evenly matched teams separated by home-field advantage -- if that's an upset, then the season will be filled with 'em.

I think this same discussion was in last year's thread too. :lol:

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
sffanmike25 said:
pigskincardboard said:
Daltonb1219 said:

Week one.
Utah-27 Pitt(15)-24

FAU beating UAB, that's an upset.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
pigskincardboard said:
sffanmike25 said:
pigskincardboard said:
Daltonb1219 said:

Week one.
Utah-27 Pitt(15)-24

FAU beating UAB, that's an upset.
That is a upset. Also i do think a team who is not ranked beating a team who is ranked is technically a upset. May not be to huge of a deal but its only week 1 so i kinda think it is a upset.

joelmcook

Aug 1, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
Well for some people UAB might not be an upset but to me who is a grad of UAB it is pretty depressing.... we were 14 point favorites and I actually expected more out of them this year. sigh, I already miss Joe Webb (the only quaterback in college football history to run for more than 1000 yards and pass for more than 2000, in 2 consecutive seasons).

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
The return of the upset thread!

I still don't consider Utah an upset. Just because the system didn't rank them for whatever reason, I still think they were a solid team going into it.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Surprised no one has mentioned this.....

UTAH was a 3 point favorite.

Think that pretty much says it all. To an outsider looking in it looks like an upset due to the rankings.....but I don't know how a favorite winning at home is an upset. The only thing upset were me and other Big East fans (and obviously Pitt. fans) who watched the conference's theoretical best team go out and blow it.

Edit - * Saying that isn't a shot at the thread or the op. An "upset" thread probably should include any ranked team losing.....just saying that Utah clearly was the favorite going in.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
rymflaherty said:

Think that pretty much says it all. To an outsider looking in it looks like an upset due to the rankings.....but I don't know how a favorite winning at home is an upset. The only thing upset were me and other Big East fans (and obviously Pitt. fans) who watched the conference's theoretical best team go out and blow it.

Edit - * Saying that isn't a shot at the thread or the op. An "upset" thread probably should include any ranked team losing.....just saying that Utah clearly was the favorite going in.

I think it's noteworthy, but it's not an upset. Just because the rankings stops at 25 doesn't mean everyone after 25 is created equal. Utah easily could've been ranked 25th and they were at home.

With that said, it'll be nice to see Pitt beat Miami after Miami starts out 2-and-0.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Hard to call a favorite winning in week 1 an upset based on the rankings.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
^
I like that. "Noteworthy".
That's definitely a great way to describe the Pitt- Utah game.

I'll be conflicted on the Pitt-Mia. game though. Used to be a big U fan and still hope they do well.
I got kind of upset though when they bolted to the ACC, which was around the time Uconn moved up to D1. (lived in CT at the time, spent most my life there). Each year since I find myself rooting for Uconn more, and as I said the Big East in general (guess I like the underdog quality even the high ranked teams seem to have) - as it seems everyone always discredits the conference. Which is why last night stinks to me - going to take some big wins now or the Big East is a glorified mid-major talk will continue.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
rymflaherty said:

I mentioned the Utah spread ;)

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
sdsportsfan1214 said:
rymflaherty said:

I mentioned the Utah spread ;)

I think he was being sarcastic because the entire thread (and parts of other threads) talked about Utah being the favourite. The only person that called Pittsburgh losing an upset was the OP.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
My upset of the week:

UNLV vs Wisconsin or Utah State vs Okey

The LSU VS NC game is not going to be that good now considering the Tar Heels are losing 15 players to suspension. Somehow Les Miles will find a way to almost give this game away with the score being something like 9-7 or 14-13.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
I think Wisconsin should win that one. I hope Okey loses though.

Heck if NC wins that LSU game it will be lol.an upset to
19braves77 said:
My upset of the week:

The LSU VS NC game is not going to be that good now considering the Tar Heels are losing 15 players to suspension. Somehow Les Miles will find a way to almost give this game away with the score being something like 9-7 or 14-13.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Daltonb1219 said:
I think Wisconsin should win that one. I hope Okey loses though.

Heck if NC wins that LSU game it will be lol.an upset to
19braves77 said:
My upset of the week:

Yeah I think a UNC win would go beyond upset and be shocking.

I'm dumb (or simply stubborn) and picked them for the contest I'm in, but that's b/c I thought they'd win before all the suspensions.....but just left it. I think though they'll come out pumped and play well, maybe even take an early lead....but as the game goes along LSU will pull away due to the chaos and inexperience.

Members online