Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If the season ended today who would win the awards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Here is my picks. I can't decide on a couple of them

MVP- LeBron

Rookie of the Year
- Derrick Rose

Coach of the Year- Phil Jackson

Most Improved Player
- Devin Harris

Sportsmanship Award- Danny Granger

Defensive player of the Year- Chris Paul

Sixth Man Award- Ben Gordon

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
MVP- Lebron James

Rookie of the Year- Russell Westbrook

Coach of the Year- Phil Jackson

Most Improved Player- Devin Harris

Sportsmanship Award- No Idea

Defensive player of the Year- Chris Paul or Luc Richard Mbah A Moute

Sixth Man Award- Ben Gordon

Wehttam6

Aug 7, 2008
912-GA
MVP-Dwyane Wade (Don't get me wrong, I'd pick LeBron first overall if the NBA all of a sudden had a draft or something.)
ROY-Derrick Rose
Coach of the Year...not too sure...
Most Improved player-Devin Harris
Sportsmanship Award-...Are you serious? No one (no fan) cares for sportsmanship. :lol:
defensive player of the year-Chris Paul I guess because of his steals...I don't keep up with defensive stats much.
Sixth Man Award-Ben Gordon if he's eligible. He's started 29 of the 35 games he's played in. If not him, I'd go with Jason Terry. Terry has only started 6 games out of the 34 he's played in and is averaging 20.7ppg.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
MVP- LeBron (No one is even close)

Rookie of the Year- Mayo, but Gordon has shown flashes

Coach of the Year- Mike Brown

Most Improved Player- Danny Granger

Defensive player of the Year- Dwight Howard (no one is close)

Sixth Man Award- Terry

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
MVP: AKA's Pick-LeBron MY Pick- I AGREE with this but C.Paul is not very far off as some speculate!

Rookie of the Year: AKA's Pick- Derrick Rose MY PICK: Mayo (& to note: E.Gordon is catching fire now that he's been given more opportunity)....Defensive "R.O.Y.": M.Chalmers (he is even in the running for Defensive player of the Year)

Coach of the Year: AKA's Picks- Phil Jackson MY Pick: Rick Adelman(sp?)

Most Improved Player: AKA's Pick- Devin Harris MY Pick: Nene Hillario (runner's up Jameer Nelson, David Lee, & Paul Millsap-he might be the most worthy?..) Note to AKA- Personally I like Devin Harris alot but I don't think it is as much that he has actually "improved" anything as he has gotten more playing time & inherited more opportunity/shot attempts (he's averaging 3.1 more shots than last year & averaging close to 3 more minutes played per game also, he's actually down -.1 total rebounds from last year & has only improved very minimally, if at all, across the board in all of his statistical averages even with the increased average of 3 more minutes of playing time...he does have quite the increase in average ppg but shouldn't that be expected given the increase in shots attempted as well as an increased average of +5.6 Free Throws Attempted (w/only a .4% increase in FT%)? Basically he's "the man" on the Nets & is having a good season but as far as improvement goes, I like the guy's I listed above a bit more. :D

Sportsmanship Award (not sure what the hell this is?...We are talking about a pro-sport aren't we?...Does "sportsmanship still exist? :lol:): AKA's Pick - Danny Granger MY Pick- I like D.Granger for this also!

Defensive player of the Year: AKA's Pick- Chris Paul MY Pick- D.Wade (his combination of a large amount steals "and" blocks is why I chose him...C.Paul 90 stls/5 blks is a great thief & Dwight Howard 112 blks/29 stls is the master rejector but D.Wade's 76 stls/53 blks shows me he's got the best of both worlds & is the total package on defense thus far!).

Sixth Man Award: AKA's Pick- Ben Gordon MY Pick- A.Kirilenko (runner up- Jason Terry). I look more on this as B.Gordon can't really qualify as he's flip flopped back & forth from 6th man to starter, while the other 2 I've listed are basically "true-blue" 6th men & both of them specialize in thier 2 different distinct roles that they play (AK-47 specializes more as the defender role but can still hurt you with his scoring ability, while J.Terry specializes as a premiere perimeter shooter whom can steal the ball & play some "sneaky D" when needed)!

Thanks for the VERY interesting topic AKA, I've lurked on these board's for awhile & I'll try to get my basketball post count up!
:D

Wehttam6

Aug 7, 2008
912-GA
Tomlinson21RB said:
I think LBJ will win the MVP, but I don't like LeBron. I don't like Wade too much either, but I dislike LeBron more. Anyway, you can't say that it's not close. Wade leads the league in PPG and in Points/Rebounds/Assists combined per game.

AND RUSSELL WESTBROOK OWNS ERIC GORDON!
1.Rose/Mayo
2.Rose/Mayo
3.Russell Westbrook

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
MVP: AKA's Pick-LeBron MY Pick- I AGREE with this but C.Paul is not very far off as some speculate!

Rookie of the Year: AKA's Pick- Derrick Rose MY PICK: Mayo (& to note: E.Gordon is catching fire now that he's been given more opportunity)....Defensive "R.O.Y.": M.Chalmers (he is even in the running for Defensive player of the Year)

Coach of the Year: AKA's Picks- Phil Jackson MY Pick: Rick Adelman(sp?)

Most Improved Player: AKA's Pick- Devin Harris MY Pick: Nene Hillario (runner's up Jameer Nelson, David Lee, & Paul Millsap-he might be the most worthy?..) Note to AKA- Personally I like Devin Harris alot but I don't think it is as much that he has actually "improved" anything as he has gotten more playing time & inherited more opportunity/shot attempts (he's averaging 3.1 more shots than last year & averaging close to 3 more minutes played per game also, he's actually down -.1 total rebounds from last year & has only improved very minimally, if at all, across the board in all of his statistical averages even with the increased average of 3 more minutes of playing time...he does have quite the increase in average ppg but shouldn't that be expected given the increase in shots attempted as well as an increased average of +5.6 Free Throws Attempted (w/only a .4% increase in FT%)? Basically he's "the man" on the Nets & is having a good season but as far as improvement goes, I like the guy's I listed above a bit more. :D

Sportsmanship Award (not sure what the hell this is?...We are talking about a pro-sport aren't we?...Does "sportsmanship still exist? :lol:): AKA's Pick - Danny Granger MY Pick- I like D.Granger for this also!

Defensive player of the Year: AKA's Pick- Chris Paul MY Pick- D.Wade (his combination of a large amount steals "and" blocks is why I chose him...C.Paul 90 stls/5 blks is a great thief & Dwight Howard 112 blks/29 stls is the master rejector but D.Wade's 76 stls/53 blks shows me he's got the best of both worlds & is the total package on defense thus far!).

Sixth Man Award: AKA's Pick- Ben Gordon MY Pick- A.Kirilenko (runner up- Jason Terry). I look more on this as B.Gordon can't really qualify as he's flip flopped back & forth from 6th man to starter, while the other 2 I've listed are basically "true-blue" 6th men & both of them specialize in thier 2 different distinct roles that they play (AK-47 specializes more as the defender role but can still hurt you with his scoring ability, while J.Terry specializes as a premiere perimeter shooter whom can steal the ball & play some "sneaky D" when needed)!

Thanks for the VERY interesting topic AKA, I've lurked on these board's for awhile & I'll try to get my basketball post count up!
:D

Great post. I almost picked D-wade as my defensive player. On the Devin Harris response. Just because one is given the chance to succeed doesn't guarantee success. The fact that he's been able take advantage of his situation is why he will win MIP.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Wehttam6 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
I think LBJ will win the MVP, but I don't like LeBron. I don't like Wade too much either, but I dislike LeBron more. Anyway, you can't say that it's not close. Wade leads the league in PPG and in Points/Rebounds/Assists combined per game.

1.Rose/Mayo
2.Rose/Mayo
3.Russell Westbrook

I'm picking Mayo, but I'm referring to the high point totals gordon has put up lately. If he continued at that pace he'd be in the running.

Lebron has taken over the league. Not taking away from what Wade has done because I think he is the 2nd best player in the league this year, but I don't think he stands a chance in voting. Cleveland is 22 games over .500, and Miami is 2.

Not from your post, but why is everyone picking guards for defensive player? Let's take a look at history:
Year Player Team
2007-08 Kevin Garnett Boston
2006-07 Marcus Camby Denver
2005-06 Ben Wallace Detroit
2004-05 Ben Wallace Detroit
2003-04 Ron Artest Indiana
2002-03 Ben Wallace Detroit
2001-02 Ben Wallace Detroit
2000-01 Dikembe Mutombo Philadelphia-Atlanta
1999-00 Alonzo Mourning Miami
1998-99 Alonzo Mourning Miami
1997-98 Dikembe Mutombo Atlanta
1996-97 Dikembe Mutombo Atlanta
1995-96 Gary Payton Seattle
1994-95 Dikembe Mutombo Denver
1993-94 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston
1992-93 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston
1991-92 David Robinson San Antonio
1990-91 Dennis Rodman Detroit
1989-90 Dennis Rodman Detroit
1988-89 Mark Eaton Utah
1987-88 Michael Jordan Chicago
1986-87 Michael Cooper Los Angeles Lakers
1985-86 Alvin Robertson San Antonio
1984-85 Mark Eaton Utah
1983-84 Sidney Moncrief Milwaukee
1982-83 Sidney Moncrief Milwaukee

There sure are a lot of centers and forwards on that list. Howard is averaging 3.29 bpg! Next is Camby at 2.68. Howard is averaging 13.9 rpg, which is close to Camby's 13.5 but almost 2 better than #3 in the league. He's also averaging about a steal a game at .9 spg.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
Wehttam6 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

1.Rose/Mayo
2.Rose/Mayo
3.Russell Westbrook

I'm picking Mayo, but I'm referring to the high point totals gordon has put up lately. If he continued at that pace he'd be in the running.

Lebron has taken over the league. Not taking away from what Wade has done because I think he is the 2nd best player in the league this year, but I don't think he stands a chance in voting. Cleveland is 22 games over .500, and Miami is 2.

Not from your post, but why is everyone picking guards for defensive player? Let's take a look at history:
Year Player Team
2007-08 Kevin Garnett Boston
2006-07 Marcus Camby Denver
2005-06 Ben Wallace Detroit
2004-05 Ben Wallace Detroit
2003-04 Ron Artest Indiana
2002-03 Ben Wallace Detroit
2001-02 Ben Wallace Detroit
2000-01 Dikembe Mutombo Philadelphia-Atlanta
1999-00 Alonzo Mourning Miami
1998-99 Alonzo Mourning Miami
1997-98 Dikembe Mutombo Atlanta
1996-97 Dikembe Mutombo Atlanta
1995-96 Gary Payton Seattle
1994-95 Dikembe Mutombo Denver
1993-94 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston
1992-93 Hakeem Olajuwon Houston
1991-92 David Robinson San Antonio
1990-91 Dennis Rodman Detroit
1989-90 Dennis Rodman Detroit
1988-89 Mark Eaton Utah
1987-88 Michael Jordan Chicago
1986-87 Michael Cooper Los Angeles Lakers
1985-86 Alvin Robertson San Antonio
1984-85 Mark Eaton Utah
1983-84 Sidney Moncrief Milwaukee
1982-83 Sidney Moncrief Milwaukee

There sure are a lot of centers and forwards on that list. Howard is averaging 3.29 bpg! Next is Camby at 2.68. Howard is averaging 13.9 rpg, which is close to Camby's 13.5 but almost 2 better than #3 in the league. He's also averaging about a steal a game at .9 spg.

That's true about the Center's winning a majority of the DPOY awards but in my opinion they are not always justified in doing so ("defense" is not only about blocking a shot, as some of the BEST defender's in the league's history never tallied up high blocked shot total's, & yes I'm talking about the guard position). Steals are overlooked when voting because they are not as flashy & don't make the "highlight" films, which is why I chose D-Wade over someone like C.Paul (as D-Wade has a substantial amount of blocks to go along with a substantial amount of steals). It very well is likely that D-Howard could win at the end of the year but as of right now I just can't imagine any type of argument that would justify D.Howard beating out D.Wade for the award at the moment (unless steals are considered a defensive category?)... :D

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I'm not saying it is justified to always give the award to centers and forwards, but the question was "who would win" not "who should win." We've seen that rebounds and blocks are valued higher than steals by whoever does vote for this award. I think it has something to do with the fact that most of the time a guard can either get a steal or not get a steal, but a shot blocker affects every shot in the paint even if he doesn't get the block.

Wehttam6

Aug 7, 2008
912-GA
Tomlinson21RB said:
Wehttam6 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

1.Rose/Mayo
2.Rose/Mayo
3.Russell Westbrook

Eric Gordon will end up with a better year than Westbrook if he keeps up with what he's doing. I just said Westbrook is better than Gordon because I like Russy more. :p

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Wehttam6 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Wehttam6 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

1.Rose/Mayo
2.Rose/Mayo
3.Russell Westbrook

Eric Gordon will end up with a better year than Westbrook if he keeps up with what he's doing. I just said Westbrook is better than Gordon because I like Russy more. :p

I like them both. I picked up both off the free agent list on my fantasy team.

Members online

Latest posts