Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My theory on 2010 Topps T206

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
So Im in the store today and I see a box of T206. I look at it and notice it has a nice
mini autograph card of Ripken on the front of the box...nice card, so I look it up on
ebay and it doesn't exist!! Its a redemption.

Here is my theory. Topps sends out pre orders of T206. Dealers like the checklist and
send topps their money for the product. With cash in hand topps spends just enough
so they don't go over that making redemptions for all the big cards. After the product
sells they wait for 8 months and then say the players aren't going to sign and they
move out other junk.

From what I have seen topps hasn't spent anything making this product, I really think
this is what they are doing.

Kevin

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
What we have here is your basic sports card conspiracy theory.

Never airtight but usually believable.

Which tells you one of two things: either card companies are so crooked that our human instincts tell us something is fishy

-or-

we're all just in-denial, closet gambling addicts/OCD pack rats that are tired of getting kicked in the pants because Topps products are mediocre at best and it takes a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Steven Strasburg to re-energize the hobby in any way, shape, or form and the guy has Tommy John before Topps can unload any relevant product but it doesn't even matter because the secondary market has been in a tailspin since 2007.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
The big hit on the front of the box DOESN'T EXIST! How stupid does topps think we are?

Jul 30, 2009
But youre kind of wrong, the card "will" exist via the redemption. They arent advertising something that isnt in the product. Do you expect them to showcase a redemption card on the box and sales sheet?

Anyway, its a passable product but nothing too exciting. In other words, outside of Bowman, "another" typical 2010 WE ARE EXCLUSIVE SO THERES NO OTHER CHOICE Topps issue.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
A Ripken auto 6 years ago was pretty common, but today its a huge hit. I can't believe
that people think this is ok.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
schmidtfan20 said:
I can't believe that people think this is ok.

This is for the most part a prospect board, especially those that post often.
those that "care" about this topic are the types that dont post a ton, but prefer to read the boards.

saferseas

Mar 9, 2010
Portland, OR
i'm not sure i believe they are advertising cards that don't exist (or will never exist), but i do know that i am fast becoming a prospect-only buyer, simply because everything that Topps has been putting out lately, besides Bowman and Chrome, has just been terrible.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I hardly consider a Ripken auto a huge hit. I think you have it reversed Kevin. 8-10 years ago, a Ripken auto was a big hit. Now its an upper tiered autograph that will carry an average value of maybe 100 dollars if you're lucky to get that if you sell it on the open market. Unless it is super short printed it will probably "book" around 125-150 at most.

As for the card being on packaging, it happens all the time. The card will be made as others have stated as it is a redemption card.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
You guys obviously don't track enough topps non prospect stuff. The Ripken card will
be the second highest priced card in the set and that is only IF they put Pujols in it.
An on card autograph of Ripken with a short print, will get collectors frothing at the mouth.

...and if anyone pulls one, I can offer "hardly a huge hit" money for it.
Thanks
Kevin

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I don't get caught up in prospect hype. While I do break the Bowman line of products I enjoy the veteran cards too much to turn my back on them. If it is a super short printed card, as I said, it will be a decent card money wise. However, I don't consider it a huge pull anymore because Ripken seems to be ALOT more obtainable now than in years past. So yes, your theory holds water about it being a big hit if it the demand outweighs the supply.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Im sure it will be a huge short print, once card from group B is one in four cases. The
card that topps pictures on the box is actually very nice. I hope down the road I can
pick up the Ryan Howard.

Kevin

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Quick research seems to show the nicer single-signed Ripkens go from $175-$250+ range, I just saw one #/25 that went for $577. I'd guess these outsell other player autos in their respective sets, but with all the sets out there, who can really say for sure?

Sometimes sales don't tell the entire story, perhaps it comes down to what one considers to be a huge pull here.

blanning71 said:
I don't get caught up in prospect hype. While I do break the Bowman line of products I enjoy the veteran cards too much to turn my back on them. If it is a super short printed card, as I said, it will be a decent card money wise. However, I don't consider it a huge pull anymore because Ripken seems to be ALOT more obtainable now than in years past. So yes, your theory holds water about it being a big hit if it the demand outweighs the supply.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I agree in your assessment that its all left up to personal preference on the definition of a "huge pull". I remember in the Huge Pulls thread I started, someone posted that they hit a Pujols jersey card and they got crucified for posting that. Well here's my take....

For starters, the Pujols jersey card is a huge pull to someone that may not have ever pulled his stuff before and all they get is base cards. I remember the first time I hit a 1/1 and also hitting a jersey card or auto. My biggest first pull would have been the 92 Pinnacle Ivan Rodriguez/Benito Santiago Team Pinnacle card from a shop in the Carolina Circle Mall in Greensboro. I was amazed when I found out that this card was super rare at the time and was worth alot by the standards of the day.

As for big pulls to me, the card has to be really scarce and of a rather collectible player. Yes, I like Ripken, and yes I love pulling his cards, but in recent years, his stuff has continued to be produced and his prices seem to have come down from what they used to be(UNLESS its a SP'd card). But hey, throw an autographed card of him in a pack that I'm opening and I wil still dance a jig. I wouldn't necessarily consider a Daniel McCutcheon A&G red auto /10 a big pull but for a set collector or somebody going after the /10's it could be considered a huge hit.

I love the fact that we all can have varied opinions on this and it always makes me feel a little better when others can appreciate what I got if I don't think I did so well. Kinda takes the sting out when I get that re-assertion that "it was a good hit or a great break". LOL

JEEP

Jun 20, 2009
NY
id consider a ripken a big hit, because i personally like the guy.

its all really just advertising anyways

its like those stouffers lasagna commercials
looks good
kinda tastes ok
kinda resembles the godess of a creature they show you on tv
but them your up all night with nightmares about it from the indigestion

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts