Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If I had only enough money to buy one case every year...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Being new to the hobby, if I only had enough money to buy one case of football cards every year, what do you recommend?

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Everyone will tell you to buy singles.

After that, you'll get a nice little assortment with SPA leading the board. UD lost their license now, so it's basically a crapshoot.

Personally, if Topps Chrome goes on card, that's what I'd buy -- hypothetically, as in, I will buy.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
I've heard about singles...but I like to open packs. It's a rush.

Honestly, I'm on the fence regarding base topps. When you are looking for that balance of base cards and hits, you end up with ALOT of base and just a few hits. Not to mention, it takes forever to sort through 440 cards set when you have 1500 base cards.

So far, my pick is for Elite. I wasn't that crazy about Classic. And a lot of the Topps products coming out this year all look so similar.

I also like the look of Topps Finest.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
sportscardfanatic said:

Honestly, I'm on the fence regarding base topps. When you are looking for that balance of base cards and hits, you end up with ALOT of base and just a few hits. Not to mention, it takes forever to sort through 440 cards set when you have 1500 base cards.

So far, my pick is for Elite. I wasn't that crazy about Classic. And a lot of the Topps products coming out this year all look so similar.

What are you looking for in a break? You basically have to ask yourself:

Will I be selling anything?
Do I want a chance at a big hit?
Am I looking for a fun break?
Am I looking for a heavy value break?
Am I looking for retained value?
Do I want On-Card Autographs?
Do I value cards without autographs?
How important are patches to me?
Do I like foil board?

edit:

Do I need pro uniforms?

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Brad said:
Press Pass SE would be a fun break.

Oh man...don't mention Press Pass. I just screwed up big time with one of my listings on ebay. I had a Michael Crabtree Auto /143 Red Parallel that I listed as a 2010 because I used another listing to create this one. By the time I realized it, I couldn't end the listing. Ended up selling for $14.

I see the regular one (not numbered) of the same card and it's already past $20!

Yeah...rookie collector mistake. I'll add this to my pile of "kick yourself in the nads" list I have running. Along with the Brandon Jennings auto I pulled at the National this year and traded for various parallels because I didn't know who Brandon Jennings was. I missed the entire NBA season last year because the Wizards SUCKED! I won't make that mistake this year.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
pigskincardboard said:
sportscardfanatic said:

Do I like foil board?

edit:

Do I need pro uniforms?

Actually, my question is more of a general one. Let me pose it a little differently.

Let's say you win a contest, and the prize was ONE case of any football card line for the rest of your life. Which would you pick?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
sportscardfanatic said:
pigskincardboard said:
sportscardfanatic said:

Do I like foil board?

edit:

Do I need pro uniforms?

Actually, my question is more of a general one. Let me pose it a little differently.

Let's say you win a contest, and the prize was ONE case of any football card line for the rest of your life. Which would you pick?

Topps Base, because you want to get many years of cases! ;)

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardfanatic said:
Brad said:

Oh man...don't mention Press Pass. I just screwed up big time with one of my listings on ebay. I had a Michael Crabtree Auto /143 Red Parallel that I listed as a 2010 because I used another listing to create this one. By the time I realized it, I couldn't end the listing. Ended up selling for $14.

I see the regular one (not numbered) of the same card and it's already past $20!

Yeah...rookie collector mistake. I'll add this to my pile of "kick yourself in the nads" list I have running. Along with the Brandon Jennings auto I pulled at the National this year and traded for various parallels because I didn't know who Brandon Jennings was. I missed the entire NBA season last year because the Wizards SUCKED! I won't make that mistake this year.

That stinks. I wouldn't have thought that would make too much a difference. When I'm searching for my players I just put in something like "Henne auto" I never bother searching by year.

I'm with you - even though it's usually a losing proposition I usually choose saving money for a box over buying singles.....just seems more fun. I agree with some others - Topps Jumbo seems like a fun case break and would provide good value, but I also get the whole "too many cards" thing.

Last year Absolute seemed like a great break. I don't know how it did resale wise, but a ton of nice auto's and patches in that product. No matter what you get though it's always a crapshoot, so I'd try to go with something established - a set I know people collect and will pay for SP's, parallels, etc.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
rymflaherty said:
sportscardfanatic said:
Brad said:

That stinks. I wouldn't have thought that would make too much a difference. When I'm searching for my players I just put in something like "Henne auto" I never bother searching by year.

I'm with you - even though it's usually a losing proposition I usually choose saving money for a box over buying singles.....just seems more fun. I agree with some others - Topps Jumbo seems like a fun case break and would provide good value, but I also get the whole "too many cards" thing.

Last year Absolute seemed like a great break. I don't know how it did resale wise, but a ton of nice auto's and patches in that product. No matter what you get though it's always a crapshoot, so I'd try to go with something established - a set I know people collect and will pay for SP's, parallels, etc.

Absolute had really good value for a couple of months and the resale value was about par and you'd be able to keep various cards.

The problem with absolute is that you can't really hold and sell. If you're going to sell anything you get from absolute it's gotta be sold immediately.

If you're just going to keep stuff, it's very fun. The prices went up about 10 bucks per pack after release, I believe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts