Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

anyone notice that EBAY auctions are mostly BIN/BO???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthSideSluggers

Aug 7, 2008
Sunny Los Angeles
I have been doing some selling on EBAY lately, and I have noticed a trend that most people are now selling their cards at BIN/BO auctions instead of just letting the card run via a normal auction??? Has anyone else noticed this trend? My thoughts are that most listers have an idea on the value of the card and would rather gauge interest by placing a Best Offer on the auction so they can bargin with the buyer rather than letting the bidding process take place. I'm just as guilty as I have mostly BIN/BO up right now but I still use/like the other format....What say you sellers and buyers, do you like the old auction format or do you prefer the BIN/BO when using EBAY?

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Because auctions don't get the prices they used to, and most non-paying bidders come from auctions. At least in my experiences.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
check almost any type of card searches and it seems like 90%+ are bin/bo's...

i def. miss the auction format but as a seller, it is the way to go....

dave

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I mostly just use the auction only search now on listings. Cuts down on wasting your time looking at stupid high bin/bo auctions, that just keep getting relisted, over and over again.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I told myself last year I was done with selling high end items auction style after seeing my Moustakas Orange Refractor Auto go for like $120, but no, no I wasn't done. I tried this out a week or so ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Bowman-Chrome- ... 43a1354ad3

and it ended up going for what a raw copy sold for last month :benson: .

I either list BIN/BO or take advantage of ebay's free listing promotions, which is going on right now I might add, where I can list at whatever starting price I want and not have to worry about bidders not showing up.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
I look through eBay every day, but I havent looked at a BIN listing in months.

Over 90% of the card listings on eBay are BIN.
I always click the button that says "Auctions Only", so if you list cards with BIN I'll never see it, and Im not the only one who does this, many do now.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
bballcardkid said:
I told myself last year I was done with selling high end items auction style after seeing my Moustakas Orange Refractor Auto go for like $120, but no, no I wasn't done. I tried this out a week or so ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Bowman-Chrome- ... 43a1354ad3

and it ended up going for what a raw copy sold for last month :benson: .

I either list BIN/BO or take advantage of ebay's free listing promotions, which is going on right now I might add, where I can list at whatever starting price I want and not have to worry about bidders not showing up.

Trout stuff cooling down now?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes I hear this. Sometimes there are deals to be had, but not often. Hitting BINs only encourages their use and most of the time BINs distort the perceived value of rare cards.

fkw said:
I look through eBay every day, but I havent looked at a BIN listing in months.

Over 90% of the card listings on eBay are BIN.
I always click the button that says "Auctions Only", so if you list cards with BIN I'll never see it, and Im not the only one who does this, many do now.

jlyles

Jan 28, 2010
Some items that I collect are BIN'd around $90-$115, but auctions only end around $50. It's hard these days to get peopke to bid on your auctions for some reason. Despite the higher fees, BINs are definitely the way to go. Reserves scare people away, but making a slightly hgher BIN than market value only attracts offers that you don't have to accept. I like BINs.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
as mostly a buyer, i love the old days of 2001/02/03/04/05/06 when most everything was auction. After 2006 the auctions started to all go away, much when the economy started dropping.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
I very rarely use the BIN/BO. I sell quite a bit (100-200 auctions per month) and have not seen any decline in ending prices. If anything I see increased sales. I sell mostly rare 90's inserts of Griffey, Jordan, etc. so that might be the reason for good ending prices. I think it all depends what you are selling. If you are selling an item that has multiple other listings then I can understand why it would sell for less. Or maybe I have just been very lucky.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
matchpenalty said:
I mostly just use the auction only search now on listings. Cuts down on wasting your time looking at stupid high bin/bo auctions, that just keep getting relisted, over and over again.
Doing that made me miss the Matzek super BIN for 500USD - I no longer mind the pesky high BINs. :|

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
BINs aren't for everyone and buyers who want to buy exclusively through auctions should absolutely hit the 'auction only' button. But otherwise, I don't understand all the angsty despair over them (other than the fact that there are less 'steals' to be had).

BIN/BOs are the purest form of sale available on eBay. It allows the buyer and the seller to agree on a single price. If buyer A is willing to pay $0.99 for my card and buyer B is willing to pay $10, why is it wrong for a seller to get $10? How can one argue that $1.05 (the price that such a card would close at in an auction) is the 'market' price? It's ONE price (based on the artificial constraints of the eBay auction rules, where the second highest bidder determines the final price), but it's certainly not the only price and arguably not the most legitimate price.

I simply do not understand the talk of BIN/BOs sales being 'distorted'. It's a willing buyer and a willing seller agreeing on a single price! What's distorted about that? The true distortion occurs in the auction format.

tdkjlk

Aug 8, 2008
It probably just seems like there are more now because "Store Items" are now displayed right along with auction listings in the normal search. Before you had to specifically check "Include Store Items" in order for them to be displayed in the default search.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Ebay has pretty much just become a store now. With just a few auctions. I wonder if we ever see a true auction site come about. Ebay should just split itself. One site where it's just a store and another where all auctions start at 99 cents.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
BINs/BOs don't reflect market value but rather reflect what a seller happens to think a card is worth at a given time - they make a seller the second highest bidder. Sellers simply aren't always going to be able to correctly guess what an entire bidding population would pay for a card, they'll mostly either come up too high or too low...particularly with regard to rare cards.

maxpower said:
I simply do not understand the talk of BIN/BOs sales being 'distorted'. It's a willing buyer and a willing seller agreeing on a single price! What's distorted about that? The true distortion occurs in the auction format.

autocut

matchpenalty said:
Ebay has pretty much just become a store now. With just a few auctions. I wonder if we ever see a true auction site come about. Ebay should just split itself. One site where it's just a store and another where all auctions start at 99 cents.

They already have half.com

Members online

Latest posts