Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which of these is a Rookie Card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
bryce-harper-usa-auto-rc-bgs.jpg

harper.jpg

One clearly states 2009... other 2010... both came out of Rookie Retro boxes?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Neither. The term "Rookie" is a generally-accepted term at the Major League level normally. Therefor Bryce Harper hasn't had a Rookie Card yet.

If you are speaking of a first-issue, then that's a different story.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Plus he was in the 2008-09 USA Box set.

With guys that have USA stuff...the "rookie" word is too blurry and really, thanks to Beckett, MLBPA and the "rookie card" rules - the rookie lines have been blurry for years.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
By whos definition do you want to go by?

Simple answer, both are of the 'prospect' nature and as such both loosely fall under the umbrella of a Rookie card to most collectors. Sure, we can get technical and disect the relavence of each issue, it's place in the hobby, there licensing, ect... But whats the point really? They are what they are and as such have a rightful place in the product.

Let the hairs be split by thoes wielding a sword of discontent.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
Was the USA Auto released in 2009 or 2010?
I believe that was released in early 2010, and is basically a 2009-10 card...and he had a auto/patch in the 2008-09 set.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
P_Manning 18 said:
Was the USA Auto released in 2009 or 2010?
I believe that was released in early 2010, and is basically a 2009-10 card...and he had a auto/patch in the 2008-09 set.

Yea I knew about the other USA Auto.... but wasnt sure if the other one was released in 2009 or 2010

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Who defined the term rookie card? Beckett.

Why does FCB exist? Beckett.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

The RC definition was created when there was one card company and no Traded/Update/box sets. And no insert sets. And no parallel sets. And no USA sets. And no minor league sets (unless you count Zeenuts, Obaks, and '48 Bowman PCL).

The definition of "rookie card" has been obsolete for 28 years. People just always made the mistake of believing Beckett was the bible. If anything, the 2006 "RC Rule" debacle destroyed the definition of a rookie card.

A RC can be anything you want it to be. The only thing it CAN'T be is an MLB card of an MLBer in his second year in MLB, when he already had a card issued the year before

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Is the intent of this thread to take a poke at Razor for including "non rookies" or is this a legitimate concern? If it's a legitimate concern, it should be clear by now that you don't have to ask what a rookie card is, because due to the obscurity created over the past few years, it's up to you to decide. As for me, I see Harper's 2008/09, 2009/10, and 2010 Bowman Chromes copies as XRCs, just as I see Aroldis Chapman 2009 Bowman Chrome WBC cards as XRC, and so does most of the hobby based off of completed listings as those are outselling 2010 MLB uniform Chromes 3 to 1.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
bballcardkid said:
As for me, I see Harper's 2008/09, 2009/10, and 2010 Bowman Chromes copies as XRCs,

Same here. Harpers true RC will be in next years products provided he is in MLB.

Nothing wrong with XRCs in RRR though.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The 'rules' would be unnecessary if Topps' odd exemption didn't exist, unfortunately Topps' exemption makes a player's status as a professional unclear - and the status of a professional is certainly important to many collectors. So as of today the rules are the "price" to pay to show non-MLBers in an MLB set.

The most clear, transparent way to define a RC is to simply ignore Topps' confusing exemption. As a collector and buyer I prefer transparency, I naturally assume others do also. But as long as that transparency doesn't exist everyone knows that people are going to continually distort the RC issue. Further, the lack of transparency seems to make RCs somewhat less important as a player could have a 'RC' in three or four different years.

200lbhockeyplayer said:
Plus he was in the 2008-09 USA Box set.

With guys that have USA stuff...the "rookie" word is too blurry and really, thanks to Beckett, MLBPA and the "rookie card" rules - the rookie lines have been blurry for years.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
That brings up an interesting question. When Topps puts out Aroldis Chapman's card next year, I'm guessing it won't have the RC emblem on it? Since Chapman is getting called up late in the 2010 season, is this considered his true "rookie" year?

I'm guessing this happens alot? Player in the minors gets called up late in the season after most of the cards have been produced. I guess Topps update and Chrome still have time to throw in Aroldis.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
JoshHamilton said:

The RC definition was created when there was one card company and no Traded/Update/box sets. And no insert sets. And no parallel sets. And no USA sets. And no minor league sets (unless you count Zeenuts, Obaks, and '48 Bowman PCL).
The 1st Beckett price guide came out in November 1984... Last time I checked there were 3 card companies making cards then and there were also "traded/updates/box" sets being made at that time...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Every player gets a RC, I'm betting he'll be in Updates this year along with a bunch of other guys.

sportscardfanatic said:
That brings up an interesting question. When Topps puts out Aroldis Chapman's card next year, I'm guessing it won't have the RC emblem on it? Since Chapman is getting called up late in the 2010 season, is this considered his true "rookie" year?

I'm guessing this happens alot? Player in the minors gets called up late in the season after most of the cards have been produced. I guess Topps update and Chrome still have time to throw in Aroldis.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
jmc280zx said:
JoshHamilton said:

The 1st Beckett price guide came out in November 1984... Last time I checked there were 3 card companies making cards then and there were also "traded/updates/box" sets being made at that time...

All three were? Odd, never saw an 84 Donruss Rookies set.

Members online

Latest posts