Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it okay to buy "unopened" packs off ebay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayplus

Aug 22, 2010
Hello, I'm beginning to collect again after being out of the hobby for 15 years. I'm wondering if it's okay to buy "unopened" packs off ebay? The reason I ask is because I've read online that hot packs sometimes have been opened and then are sealed back and put on ebay. Not sure if that's true or not, which is why I want to get a second opinion. I'd like to get some packs if they are a good deal, but if they've already been searched then I'd rather get a box from my local shop or a reputable dealer online. Here's an example of an auction I was interested in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1773wt_920

Thanks for the input!

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Stay away from the "hot packs". 99% of the time you will find that they have been resealed to contain a cheap gu card, or the cards inside have been damaged by someone searching the packs. Think about it this way: if the seller knew there was such a good card in the pack, why wouldn't they just keep it for themselves?

voteEjordan

Jul 10, 2010
Washington DC
Junior Griffey said:
Stay away from the "hot packs". 99% of the time you will find that they have been resealed to contain a cheap gu card, or the cards inside have been damaged by someone searching the packs. Think about it this way: if the seller knew there was such a good card in the pack, why wouldn't they just keep it for themselves?

Agreed. Some hot packs are resealed, others are packsearched- they either feel stiffer or the seller shifted the cards on a see through pack and can see a card number indicating a GU/auto. If they know who the card is of, why are they selling it as a hot pack instead of a single? Some sealed wax on ebay is okay, but I'd be surprised if boxes yielded a case hit.

Saw a "box" of 18 packs of ginter for sale...I have to believe the hits were pulled and they are just trying to move the box.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
These lowlifes that list hot packs on ebay are so adept at their trade that they can "feel" autograph stickers through the pack. So honestly, you're about 99% sure that the card you're going to find in those hot packs will be a plain jersey card. Anything that feels "abnormal" to the searcher, and yes they're that familiar with the product they search, is quickly opened for themselves.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
most hot packs are resealed.

Buy random retail packs, open them carefully, insert cheap 99 cent autos and gu mixing in good player names but still low value cards.

resealers are VERY good

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
cgilmo said:

Buy random retail packs, open them carefully, insert cheap 99 cent autos and gu mixing in good player names but still low value cards.

I highly doubt it.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
vwnut13 said:
cgilmo said:

I highly doubt it.

I would have to agree. Unless we're talking about the guys that promise "superfractor hot pack", or other promised hits then most of the time you're just dealing with guys who troll target for easily searchable product.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Should you do it? No. It's a waste of money. You are going to pay buckoo-bucks for a medicore hit that could quite possibly be damaged. There are no rules saying you "CAN'T" buy them, but if they are purchased, not only did you sucker punch yourself, but you just gave the seller a high amount of money AND a reason to keep doing it, so they sucker punch another person.

Jayplus

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the responses. I know now to stay away. I must admit, I did buy one hot pack just to see what I got and you were right, it wasn't all that great. If it was resealed, which it sounds like it was, they did a pretty darn good job at it. Can I take this one step further, what about hobby boxes? Should I not even bother with those and just either by them at Blowout or DA online, or my local baseball card shop? Thanks in advance!

And yeah, I do feel kicked in the groin now that I know how this stuff is sold on eBay to suckers like me.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Jayplus said:
Thanks for the responses. I know now to stay away. I must admit, I did buy one hot pack just to see what I got and you were right, it wasn't all that great. If it was resealed, which it sounds like it was, they did a pretty darn good job at it. Can I take this one step further, what about hobby boxes? Should I not even bother with those and just either by them at Blowout or DA online, or my local baseball card shop? Thanks in advance!

And yeah, I do feel kicked in the groin now that I know how this stuff is sold on eBay to suckers like me.

I highly, highly, highly, doubt it was resealed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts