Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Good lord James Shields sucks now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
He's totally forgotten what made him successful. This year he's thrown his fastball at 92-94 mph but it's been up. In previous years his fastball was 88-92 but it was down and he could locate it. Shields had success from 06-09 because hitters were a lot more patient against him and it worked to his advantage because he'd get up in the count and throw his nasty changeup. Now teams don't let him get to the changeup because they just swing at the first fastball they get. It doesn't help that on nights like tonight he couldn't throw his curveball or cutter for strikes so he really looked bad. Price and Garza have locked up postseason starting spots (if the Rays make it) but the third spot is anyone's guess and will probably come down to the match-up Joe Maddon likes. I'd still take James Shields now over Scott Kazmir now in a heartbeat.

MiracleMatthew

Jan 15, 2010
Midland, TX
You pretty much nailed it. At the same time though, some batters he will just bombard with the changeup. If you don't show them the fastball in the same location, they are sitting on that nice and slow BP changeup, and they hit the hell out of it. Hopefully Navarro can get him out of it, but I'm not too big on Navarro either. James just needs to figure something out PDQ! Or else I hope he is benched through the playoffs. He is sucking right now. AJ Burnett when he is off, and James Shields, who is pretty much always off, might end up facing one another, which would be a laugher.

Members online