Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has this ever happened to any other player.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
That's what happens when you're a former 1st round pick/top prospect and kick out an ugly 4 games in a one season (1989), leaving your rookie status in tact and then not make the MLB club out of Spring Training...and never get the call again.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Alex was a great pitcher in High School in the Bay Area. I played on the same team with him on a traveling US All Star Team in Japan, He was the best pitcher we had, and John Wetteland was on our team. You may know some of the others who played on same team, Gregg Jefferies, Matt Williams, and Bobby Bonds' son... named Barry.

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
fkw said:
Alex was a great pitcher in High School in the Bay Area. I played on the same team with him on a traveling US All Star Team in Japan, He was the best pitcher we had, and John Wetteland was on our team. You may know some of the others who played on same team, Gregg Jefferies, Matt Williams, and Bobby Bonds' son... named Barry.

Was his high school teammate Jeff Pico on that team too ?

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I don't know if anyone else was a Donruss Rated Rookie twice, but here are a couple of other interesting things that rookies did in two different years:

Cal Ripken is the only player ever named to two Topps All Rookie teams: In 1981 and 1982.

Gregg Jefferies is the only player to ever receive votes for Rookie of the Year in two different seasons. He finished 6th in 1988 (batted .321 in 109 ABs, including 16 extra base hits, with an OPS+ of 178), but was still eligible as a rookie in 1989, as he only had 115 at bats prior to that season.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
There were a couple. Danny Tartabull 85D and 86D comes to mind immediately.

N0819101008.jpg

1986+Donruss+Danny+Tartabull+%2338.JPG

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Moonlight Graham said:

Going that route, I remember Dale Murphy having two rookie cards, in 1977 and 1978. I remember unscrupulous dealers in the 80s trying to sell the 1978 copy at the going rate of the 1977. "This one is better...It has Lance Parrish too!" (The 1978 had Bo Diaz and Ernie Whitt as well, not a bad card at the time, honestly.)

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I don't want to send the thread too far off course, but another "rarity" would be Jason Bay who appeared with 3 different teams on his ML licensed first-year cards (2002). That has to be somewhat unique.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Jefferies was the best player I ever saw at the 16-18 year old level. Switch hitter with pop from both sides.

He was also "Minor League Player of the Year".... 2 years in a Row!
(1986 and 1987)

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
fkw said:

You could have been a "rated rookie" and never even touched the field with all that talent on that team.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
fkw said:
Jefferies was the best player I ever saw at the 16-18 year old level. Switch hitter with pop from both sides.

He was also "Minor League Player of the Year".... 2 years in a Row!
(1986 and 1987)

Jefferies struck out less than 6% of his plate appearances for his career. Since his retirement, the only player to retire who struck out less than 6% of his PAs was Tony Gwynn, although Juan Pierre will probably accomplish the feat as well.

Andruw Jones was also the Minor League Player of the Year twice.

Members online

Latest posts