Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bill "Spaceman" Lee pitches in and wins Ind. game at 63...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Just saw this story go up on Yahoo.
I know Lee took heat for his quotes upon Steinbrenner's death....but even if you hate him you got to admit this seems pretty incredible. Made me say "Wow" so figured I'd post. Especially since it doesn't seem to be a b.s. publicity type thing - he went out went 5 1/3 and only gave up a couple hits....I know it's IL, but again still impressive.

Here's the story if anyone's interested:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=s ... wins090510

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I loved reading this story because it says that Ed Nottle is the guy that convinced Lee to pitch. If anyone gets the chance, talk baseball with Ed Nottle. I was fortunate enough to get to know him back in 1987 when he was the manager of the Pawtucket Red Sox. He would throw batting practice to a few hitters, and his best pitch was an underhand knuckleball where he would lock his elbow against his side. It was one of the nastiest pitches I ever saw. He threw it to me a few times and it was almost uncatchable. I'm so happy that he is still in baseball.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Awesome indeed. One of the radio personalities in Boston, Mike Adams, is really close friends with him and had him on the radio (although hes on a lot anyways) promoting it a few weeks ago. Bill seems like a really nice guy, allbeit a little whacky. My mother is a big fan of his and loved the baseball documentary he did a few years ago. She went to a cardshow with me to meet him and his wife who were signing in Mass. She started talking to them about watching the doc. and wanted to know if copys of it were available for sale. His wife said "Well, we didnt bring any with us here but would you like us to send you a copy? Bill will even sign it for you guys if you want? Let me give you our house number in Vermont and when we get back we'll mail it out to you". Just incredibly nice people, and giving us their number was totally unexpected. I worked for the Sox for 3 years and a lot of athletes, current or retired wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire, yet they thought it was awesome my mother liked the movie and made sure she could get a copy from them. I also ended up receiving an autographed baseball from him which he inscribed Bill "Spaceman" Lee.

Members online