Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shipping to Japan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OK so some how a non US buyer won my auction (not sure how as I had the blockers set).
So how do I, and how much does it cost to send one card in a toploader and padded envelope to Japan? Pretty sure I cant print a paypal label and have to go to the PO correct?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance
Joe

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
Unless you want to pay for Priority Intl (which is like $16 or something) or a faster service, Paypal won't let you print a label to ship to Japan. It only costs $2 and change to send it 1st class Intl (there's no tracking, but I only send low value items this way) but you have to hand write the address and fill out a customs form at the PO. It's a pain. I've done it before on a few low value items of players like Ichiro and Matsui, but I decided to stop shipping to Japan because it's not worth the extra trouble.

Taikob

Jul 21, 2010
I have limited experience but I've found the safest way to send overseas is Express International at $28.95. It is the cheapest service that includes tracking(partial insurance is built into the price as well) and satisfies all Paypal requirements plus they give you an estimated delivery date. Cost is the obvious issue and even when I charged exact shipping I was docked on my DSR's for using the service. Shipping to Japan required a special custom form for Express Mail(my postal center didn't have them out in the open) but they are straight forward and will take only 5-10 minutes to figure out. This is the best no nonsense method for more expensive cards since you are covered by Paypal.
The other method I've used is registered mail with return receipt for overseas shipping(Cost $16.92). Pretty straightforward here as well except you use the common customs form(Green one) that most postal centers keep out in the open. The only restriction is you are not allowed to use any type of tape on the mailer as it is provided(brown tape). The return receipt is for piece of mind as you should receive a receipt once it is delivered and can use it as proof of delivery. Not sure about Paypal policy but the return receipt sold me on registered mail when combined with the promise of special handling by the Post Office.
These methods are imo your best bet for more expensive cards but if you are talking a couple bucks First Class International which only requires the Green Custom form should do the trick(of course no tracking). Priority International is okay as well but tracking is not included. If the package is held up in customs for any reason the custom form number can be used as a limited form of tracking as it will tell you if the package has been received in the destination country but details are not included. Paypal will most likely not consider this an adequate form of tracking but I haven't had to file a claim yet so I'm no expert regarding Paypal policy. Good luck

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
It is a couple of bucks to ship to Japan. I have never had a probelem shipping there. As for getting ripped off, the Japanese are very honorable and you most likely will not have a problem.

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
Erich said:
It is a couple of bucks to ship to Japan. I have never had a probelem shipping there. As for getting ripped off, the Japanese are very honorable and you most likely will not have a problem.

I agree with this completely, I have never had an issue and I have shipped many times to Japan. It is a pain though.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Yes. Just a couple bucks to ship without tracking to Japan. I've done it many times. It is really not a pain unless it is a pain getting through your local post office counter line during business hours. The steps: Put customer shipping address toward the right side of the mailer. It goes toward the right because the customs form needs to fit on the left side. Be sure to put USA in your return address. Fill out customs form which shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. Take to USPS counter during business hours. Pay about $2. Get receipt and a carbon of customs form and you are done. It would be nice if Paypal allowed you to use your postmarked customs form as proof of shipment but no dice yet.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've got a card to sell that I expect will be big in Japan, and I expect will go for a couple hundred. Is Express International still the best route to satisfy paypal for an international shipment?

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I always just have people send me stuff via regular air mail. Haven't had a problem in 15 years here. Easy to get scammed that way though I suppose.

Members online

Latest posts