Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

9-8-98 - 12 years ago I was on cloud # 62 - A Reflection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wow! Before you know it, your all grown up in a blink of an eye, well I'm still 15 years old going on 27.......

Sophomore year of high school, sitting up Indian style on my bed with my eyes starting to well up watching my childhood

sports hero send # 62 over the left field fence and in the process making me feel like the happiest fan in the world

considering I could say I was not one of the millions who jumped on the bandwagon.

No Bashing Please Folks, Just a reflection of how happy this hobby and this great sport can

make us feel as fans. Without Passion in life their is no living. Following a player from the time you were a little brat and

then he is the focus of everyone's TV screen all summer long around the world is just dam cool. Not everyone can say their

favorite player was the most talked about thing at the water cooler for an entire season. Before the MLB package , I can

still remember getting ready to leave for school at 6:30am in the morning and seeing the notes my dad used to leave me on

the kitchen table informing me of if he went yard in last nights game....What a great year and a great a moment I will never forget and will forever cherish. If you got em, show em off.....

longo009.jpg

Full Unused Ticket from that magical night - Signed March 15,2010 @ spring Training

march15th2010043.jpg

mcgwire022.jpg

panoramic.jpg

The Swing
McgwireST010.jpg

One of the Main Items I had been waiting 6 years to get signed.....Got to love Spring Training
MeandMark.jpg

The Mottola Family Christmas Card from 1991
10x12.jpg

thanks for looking and if you ended up posting and sharing , thank you

timfsu2k

Jul 8, 2009
Kentucky
That was a pretty cool season. I remember being at my aunt's house for a family get together and they had this little TV in the kitched tuned to a Cardinals' game. Every time McGwire came to bat, everyone would gather around the TV to see if he would hit one out. The cool part about it was that besides myself and my Dad the rest of my family never paid any attention to baseball. So that season definitely transcended the sport.

timfsu2k said:
That was a pretty cool season. I remember being at my aunt's house for a family get together and they had this little TV in the kitched tuned to a Cardinals' game. Every time McGwire came to bat, everyone would gather around the TV to see if he would hit one out. The cool part about it was that besides myself and my Dad the rest of my family never paid any attention to baseball. So that season definitely transcended the sport.

great story.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
I remember he almost missed first base and after he touched it Mark Grace hit his behind with his glove!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
coltsnsox07 said:
I remember he almost missed first base and after he touched it Mark Grace hit his behind with his glove!
And he hit this magicial shot off of Steven T.r.a.c.h.s.e.l Trachsel. Then Sammy Sosa the attention ***** that he was came running in from the outfield and gave him a hug. I think even lifted him up.

Hard to believe it has been 15 years now. Thanks for sharing your...where were you moment.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Pine Tar said:
And he hit this magicial shot off of Steven T.r.a.c.h.s.e.l Trachsel.

Hard to believe it has been 15 years now. Thanks for sharing your...where were you moment.

I'm surprised Big Mac didn't fall asleep in the batters box waiting for Steve "The Human Rain Delay" Trachsel to deliver the pitches.

12 years? Dang I feel old! ;)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
OP...great story, and the last McGwire piece you got signed truly is an amazing piece to cap that collection.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Pine Tar said:
Even harder to believe it's already 2013

It seems like just yesterday it was 2010.

Man, time does indeed fly when you're getting older.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks for sharing. What a great season, steroids or not. I feel where you are coming from Big Mac as I am a Sosa fan. Gotta admit that I mainly "jumped on the bandwagon" during that 1998 season but I've stuck with him.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Its was fun to remember the time when the vast majority of us were blissfully ignorant.

Did anyone else feel 'oddly uncomfortable' with them hitting a HR seemingly every game? While it may have been fun for folks back then, I wonder if some of the same people feel duped if not angry now.

ffgameman said:
Thanks for sharing. What a great season, steroids or not. I feel where you are coming from Big Mac as I am a Sosa fan. Gotta admit that I mainly "jumped on the bandwagon" during that 1998 season but I've stuck with him.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
uniquebaseballcards said:
Its was fun to remember the time when the vast majority of us were blissfully ignorant.

Did anyone else feel 'oddly uncomfortable' with them hitting a HR seemingly every game? While it may have been fun for folks back then, I wonder if some of the same people feel duped if not angry now.

ffgameman said:

I don't feel that way. After all, it's not like they (and Bonds) were the lone rangers that used PEDs.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:

ffgameman said:
This is my problem with that era, were people really naive about steroid usage or simply choose not to care because of the excitement?

I was under the impression that it was almost common knowledge that baseball had a steroid problem, but no one seemed to care. Not the media, not the owners, not the commissioner, not the players and not the fans.

Not looking to get into an argument, just amazed that some people do indeed feel duped (or angry/both) as you implied...because certainly there are some that do.

Nothing can take away the excitement of that season, and it was an amazing time to be a baseball fan or not. Steroids or not. Baseball needed that race and needed history to be rewritten, and I think it was selective in its needs coming down AFTER the wallets were stuffed again.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I find it even more amazing that this season will always be more memorable than Barry Bonds 73-HR year. I love it too.

Hardly anyone cares that he owns the single-season and career home run records.

Yet another steroid user and his magical 1998 season is still talked about fervently. I know I remember where I was when Big Mac hit #62, couldn't even tell you where I was when Bonds hit #71.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
JoshHamilton said:
Pine Tar said:

Even harder to believe it's already 2013

So great, well played.

I never realized this date has a secondary significance. It's my dog's birthday, so that's what I'll be celebrating... :lol:

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
markakis8 said:
I find it even more amazing that this season will always be more memorable than Barry Bonds 73-HR year. I love it too.

Hardly anyone cares that he owns the single-season and career home run records.

Yet another steroid user and his magical 1998 season is still talked about fervently. I know I remember where I was when Big Mac hit #62, couldn't even tell you where I was when Bonds hit #71.

Weird for me - I remember where I was when Bonds hit 71, but not when Sosa or McGwire hit their respective numbers (and I'm a Sosa fan!).

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The vast majority of people -- fans -- were blissfully unaware and became increasingly suspicious with the rise of Mr. Bonds.

200lbhockeyplayer said:
This is my problem with that era, were people really naive about steroid usage or simply choose not to care because of the excitement?

I was under the impression that it was almost common knowledge that baseball had a steroid problem, but no one seemed to care. Not the media, not the owners, not the commissioner, not the players and not the fans.

Not looking to get into an argument, just amazed that some people do indeed feel duped (or angry/both) as you implied...because certainly there are some that do.

Nothing can take away the excitement of that season, and it was an amazing time to be a baseball fan or not. Steroids or not. Baseball needed that race and needed history to be rewritten, and I think it was selective in its needs coming down AFTER the wallets were stuffed again.

Members online

Latest posts