Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps: Am I wrong....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Jeff you are, but when he had his picture taken, he took off said glasses, so the flash would not reflect in the picture.
Also it looks like he does not have any thumbs since he most have cut them off, cutting all those hoard mini cards.

Jeff N. said:
....for thinking that, for sure, someone of this job title would be crosseyed or wearing coke-bottle thick glasses?

!B2JeQEgCWk~$(KGrHqJ,!gwEyEQMBfwvBMhT)1opNg~~_12.jpg

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Is that for real? I only buy singles and never packs, so I'm out of touch with a lot of products. Who in the hell would want that ridiculous card? Does Topps seriously think this is a positive addition to the product? This is a silly waste of a card. What's next, pics of the various pets of Topps' employees? Office-used equipment inserts, like slivers of pencils, postmarked stamps, swizzle sticks, and cut autos from performance reviews? I'm sure he's a nice guy, but does anyone think this his card is nice to have or fun to chase?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
just a little hint here guys

Topps prints nothing. It's all farmed out. When something is miscut, it's a subcontractor that miscuts it. Ultimately it's on topps because they are the ones doing the hiring.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
VizquelCollector said:
Is that for real? I only buy singles and never packs, so I'm out of touch with a lot of products. Who in the hell would want that ridiculous card? Does Topps seriously think this is a positive addition to the product? This is a silly waste of a card. What's next, pics of the various pets of Topps' employees? Office-used equipment inserts, like slivers of pencils, postmarked stamps, swizzle sticks, and cut autos from performance reviews? I'm sure he's a nice guy, but does anyone think this his card is nice to have or fun to chase?

Please don't give them any ideas. We could be looking at a new insert set in Allen and Ginter.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cgilmo said:

Topps prints nothing. It's all farmed out. When something is miscut, it's a subcontractor that miscuts it. Ultimately it's on topps because they are the ones doing the hiring.

But this guy, as director of quality control, should be reviewing the product that's released. He should be at the subcontractor's printing press watching the packed product. He should be opening boxes before they're sent out.

Otherwise, he's as effective a director of quality control as

creed-bratton-the-office.jpg

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Jeff N. said:

"Every week I'm supposed to take four hours and do a quality spot check at the paper mill, and of course the one year I blow it off, this happens!"

:lol:

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I worked in QA and my wife still does in the food industry and I can guarantee you that someone noticed the Strasburg defects but was told to ship the cards anyway by someone in management. I am sure they were either behind schedule as they were a late addition to the set anyway. The time it would have taken to reprint the sheets and recut and repackage would have thrown everything out the window as far as deadlines.

A&G is one of the few Topps products they seem not to want to miss deadlines with. IMO they would have been better of delaying the product launch and remaking the cards.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Jeff N. said:
cgilmo said:

But this guy, as director of quality control, should be reviewing the product that's released. He should be at the subcontractor's printing press watching the packed product. He should be opening boxes before they're sent out.

I hope Topps never has to apologize for an embarrassing watermark boner.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
rico08 said:
Jeff N. said:
cgilmo said:

I hope Topps never has to apologize for an embarrassing watermark boner.

c3po.jpg

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topps apparently wants people who buy their product to have fun with it first and isn't as concerned with secondary market value - - which is a great thing, and ironically would likely lead to greater long-term market value.

VizquelCollector said:

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
Topps apparently wants people who buy their product to have fun with it first and isn't as concerned with secondary market value - - which is a great thing, and ironically would likely lead to greater long-term market value.

How much fun is a card of this guy? Would you rather have ANY baseball player, celebrity, or historical figure? If I was opening packs and pulled this guy, I'd feel like I was basically shorted a card. I see it as sort of an inside joke on their part, which I don't think many people will enjoy.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I don't think Topps is sweating this too much. It also is probably good for company morale.

If they made them case hits instead of real players then yes I would be pissed but as long as they are just fun cards its good with me.

Latest posts