Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Congrats t Ryan howard!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Howard now is the fastest player to hit 100 home runs. then 150 home runs, then 200 home runs and now he became the fastest player to hit #250!

Way to go Howard!
HOWARDRYAN14.jpg

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
619.jpg

Hopefully he'll play until he's 50, since he started so late... ;)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Things like this are why baseball stats are amazing. There can be three "quickest to 250" stats for this depending on what you are counting...days, games, age. Baseball makes up more milestones than other sports have in combined milestones.

Not to slag on Howard, it's just comical that every other day something "memorable" is supposed to happen in baseball. NOTE: To baseball and statisticians...not every "first to" is a milestone worth letting anyone know.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Haha yeah I love it when Timmy K will throw some stat out that says something like:

"In the last 100 years only three people have done this: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Aubrey Huff."

Well I made that up but you get my point hopefully.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
jbhofmann said:
Haha yeah I love it when Timmy K will throw some stat out that says something like:

"In the last 100 years only three people have done this: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Aubrey Huff."

There's a good book by Bill James called "Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame" that is full of arguments constructed just like this one, done in order to show how pointless they are.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
jbhofmann said:

Well I made that up but you get my point hopefully.
And then it's always followed with, "and that's some pretty amazing company" as if it somehow equates the specific player with someone else.

Rare feats aren't always impressive or worthy of any mention.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Things like this are why baseball stats are amazing. There can be three "quickest to 250" stats for this depending on what you are counting...days, games, age. Baseball makes up more milestones than other sports have in combined milestones.

Not to slag on Howard, it's just comical that every other day something "memorable" is supposed to happen in baseball. NOTE: To baseball and statisticians...not every "first to" is a milestone worth letting anyone know.

Accually age really doesnt matter. In a certain amout of games does. Howard did it the fastest in a certain amount of games. and for a guy who people claim to be "average" I think this is a great. If Howard keeps on this track he will hit #500 faster than any other player
Im just proud of my man! Sorry if i offended you with my post.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
bongo870 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Accually age really doesnt matter. In a certain amout of games does. Howard did it the fastest in a certain amount of games. and for a guy who people claim to be "average" I think this is a great.
Who is claiming Howard to be "average"?

"Average" players don't lead the league in home runs, RBI or get selected to All-Star games or win MVP awards.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
bongo870 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Accually age really doesnt matter. In a certain amout of games does. Howard did it the fastest in a certain amount of games. and for a guy who people claim to be "average" I think this is a great. If Howard keeps on this track he will hit #500 faster than any other player

I tend to look at it the other way. Age is what matters, not # of games.

Player X and Player Y reached 500 HRs on the same day, and they were both "the quickest" to ever reach 500 HRs.

Player X reached 500 HRs faster than anybody, meaning he was the youngest. He started playing when he was 20, it took him 14 years to hit 500, so now he's 34 and still has some left in the tank.

Player Y reached 500 HRs faster than anybody, meaning he did it in the fewest amount of games. He started playing when he was 25 and hit 500 in just 13 seasons, so now he's 38...

Now during the race to 600, we have a 34 year old vs a 38 year old. And so on and so forth.

Another way to look at it is the whole 6th grader who failed 6th grade 3 times, and now dominates all the sports. Sure, he wins everything, but do you consider him successful? The reason Ryan Howard hits HRs at a faster rate to begin his career than other players, is because he was so old when he started. A 25 year old rookie playing against 20 year old rookies. Who has the stronger arms? Who has the brighter future? Who's better? I guess it's all a matter of perspective...

I really don't recall anybody calling Ryan Howard average... overpaid maybe, but average? Nah...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
bongo870 said:

[youtube:z2k6ijrj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgwpHYzcwUA[/youtube:z2k6ijrj]

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Howards 12.7 AB per HR is the best active, and currently the 3rd best all-time behind Mark McGwire and Babe Ruth.

With that said, I find Jim Thome's 13.56 AB per HR to be MUCH more impressive considering Thome is posting this number after 9,000 at bats. Howard is posting his 12.7 mark after only 3,000 at bats.

Lets also try and keep this in perspective: Howard, of his 3,168 at bats, has struck out 1,011 times. So while he does hit a HR more often than just about anyone in the history of baseball, he is also striking out at a terrifying rate. Dave Kigman, the notable all or nothing slugger, struck out 27% of the time while posting a 15.1 AB/HR ratio, good for 16th all-time. Howard is currently striking out at a 31% clip, and his AB/HR number should see a dip before he retires.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Howard is also great for the game. Good guy, fans love him. He isn't arrogant, he doesn't
cry when he doesn't with the MVP, he can speak the English language. Here is to 250
more!

Kevin

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
200lbhockeyplayer said:
bongo870 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Accually age really doesnt matter. In a certain amout of games does. Howard did it the fastest in a certain amount of games. and for a guy who people claim to be "average" I think this is a great.
Who is claiming Howard to be "average"?

"Average" players don't lead the league in home runs, RBI or get selected to All-Star games or win MVP awards.

Yea, there is a member here who claimed Howard to be a average player. I dont see that but some do see him as that.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
sigma_chi said:
bongo870 said:
[quote="sigma_chi":1cc6w2w9]yeah but he still doesn't know how to microwave a cheesey pita without starting a fire. Fire Guy

???? not sure i undersand this ????

You wouldn't unless you watch The Office. Ryan Howard is a character on there who started a fire once by cooking a cheesy pita.[/quote:1cc6w2w9]

Oh, I didnt know that. i dont think i ever saw that show. So there really is a Ryan Howard on the show? LOL. Thats funny. I start fires cooking all the time LOL

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
soccerman034 said:
Howards 12.7 AB per HR is the best active, and currently the 3rd best all-time behind Mark McGwire and Babe Ruth.

With that said, I find Jim Thome's 13.56 AB per HR to be MUCH more impressive considering Thome is posting this number after 9,000 at bats. Howard is posting his 12.7 mark after only 3,000 at bats.

Lets also try and keep this in perspective: Howard, of his 3,168 at bats, has struck out 1,011 times. So while he does hit a HR more often than just about anyone in the history of baseball, he is also striking out at a terrifying rate. Dave Kigman, the notable all or nothing slugger, struck out 27% of the time while posting a 15.1 AB/HR ratio, good for 16th all-time. Howard is currently striking out at a 31% clip, and his AB/HR number should see a dip before he retires.

I knew someone would come up with his strike outs on this thread. I mainly posted this thread to talk about his home runs.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
bongo870 said:
soccerman034 said:

I knew someone would come up with his strike outs on this thread. I mainly posted this thread to talk about his home runs.

Talking about his home runs is good, but you can't overlook the strikeouts. You have to look at the whole picture. For example, if I made a thread praising ****** for being one of the most gifted public speakers of all time, somebody would inevitably bring up all that bad stuff he did. One should not forget the difference between a good out and a bad out. A strike out is a very bad out.

I'm not comparing Howard to ****** in any way, I'm just saying... everybody has their good points and their bad points, and it's good to look at the whole picture to really see clearly what you're looking at. :ugeek:

;)

Members online

Latest posts