Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I got it IP 20 years ago this week and it's still Bold!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I was going to post this yesterday but with school i been very busy. 20 years ago on September 9th 1990, I got my first ever autograph in person. It was also my first time at a Major League Baseball game. It was outside i heard Bob Sheppard's voice on the PA system for the first time. When we finally got into the stadium the smell of hot dogs and the atmosphere was something I will never forget. In the 2nd inning Mac hit a HR to make it even sweeter. Anyway My dad worked at a supermarket up in north jersey and one of his frequent customers was the then at the time head of security of yankee stadium. He pulled some strings and he set up a photo op with a then young all star named Mark McGwire. After Batting practice he went in the dugout and a few minutes later he came out with Big Mac. I told him i was a member of his fan club and i showed him my fan club ID card. I then handed him one of those vinyl photo balls. I used one of those BIC pens that had 4 colors to choose from. I had him sign it in green ink. I then got a nice picture taken with him. My dad took a couple shots to make sure we got a good one. It is now 20 years old and there is no fading , no nothing. And here it is.....My first ever autograph from a baseball player.

mcgwire007.jpg

A friend of mine who attended the game with me had Mac signed a 87 Donruss. A couple years down the road i got it from him in a trade.

Here is the card.

i4.jpg

Here is one of the pictures

1990.jpg

One of those pictures was later blown up and signed in 1994

10x12.jpg

That day i officially became a baseball nut. That 1 autograph now has over 275 Brothers to go along with him. And that is how i became a Mark McGwire fanatic.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Great story! Its really cool that you still have pictures from that moment! I too was a big McGwire fan growing up. I always made my mom take me to the A's games when they came to town. First and only time I got Mac's auto was at County Stadium pregame the night Canseco stole his 40th base to become the first 40/40 guy. Like your friend I had him sign an '87 Donruss which was always my favorite McGwire card. A few months later it was stolen from me and I remember crying my little 12 year old eyes out. About a year ago I bought the card below, one of the only non-Brewer cards I still enjoy immensely
PSADNAMarkMcGwire1987Donruss.jpg

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Amazing. I love that you had the ball signed in green. It's stories like these that make baseball so much fun.

brewer andy - nice Rookie auto!

Thanks for the good words guys.

Can't believe it's been 20 years since that day. I was 7 but i remember that day , detail for detail like it was yesterday. I remember hearing "American Pie" on the loud speaker during BP. it was a hot afternoon day game. 20 years gone in a flash.
If i ever have a kid, i just wish i can hook him up like my pops did for me.

Members online