Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone heard of these "Sample" cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I refer to them as backdoored samples. Not exactly fake. I've picked up a few of the Will Clark's for the collection, just to have, but I won't pay top dollar for them.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My Understanding of the Truth
By RL24

These sample sets were created by Donruss/Playoff. Three sets were created and marked SAMPLE. The sets were sent to the MLB and the MLBPA for approval. I believe the company kept the third set? Anyway, one day one of the bigwigs at Donruss/Playoff left the company, and took several binders of these SAMPLE cards. They were later retrieved by the company, but not before the guy was able to sell many of them off.

I don't see how somebody could have created them at home, as I have some awesome ones that are missing the GU and auto...

Sorry for the poor pics, I took them when my scanner was broken and my digital camera worked. Now I'm in the opposite boat, but never scanned the cards...

DSC00826.jpg
DSC00827.jpg

DSC00828.jpg
DSC00829.jpg

If you are a player collector and like the card, I would grab it. Most of these you'll only get one shot at.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have a sample from Donruss

edgar-sample1.jpg

edgar-sample1a.jpg

I see the word "SAMPLE" is the same font..

!B1G9ndwBmk~$(KGrHqIOKkIE)M)DpOI5BMdHBbPPtg~~_12.jpg

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
They're exactly what the auction says they are. A master set was produced and given to MLB for approval. These come from that set.

Jun 30, 2010
cgilmo said:
they send these cards to distributors when they solicit orders

most distributors would sell you the shirt they are wearing

Chris, Your reply is incorrect. RL24 is pretty much correct in his response. The Majority of the master set was sold to a couple of dealers in the Northeast of which I bought about 200 different. I still have about 50 different cards in my shop. NEVER EVER seen a duplicate. You may come by the store and I will be glad to show you. Bryan

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Kennesawsportscards said:
cgilmo said:
they send these cards to distributors when they solicit orders

most distributors would sell you the shirt they are wearing

Chris, Your reply is incorrect. RL24 is pretty much correct in his response. The Majority of the master set was sold to a couple of dealers in the Northeast of which I bought about 200 different. I still have about 50 different cards in my shop. NEVER EVER seen a duplicate. You may come by the store and I will be glad to show you. Bryan

We aren't talking about 1 set here. Similar cards can be found of other years.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I have seen a 2003 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Materials #/250 Manny Ramirez with the same SAMPLE text on the back... sorry don't have a scan handy...

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Here are a couple from my collection. They are indeed intended for Donruss internal company purposes and leaked/backdoored onto the secondary market as previously stated.

AaronandMarisSamples.jpg

AaronandMarisSamplesback.jpg

This one is also "SAMPLE" but I don't have a scan of the back for some reason.

SorianoSample.jpg

Tom

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Damn bro, that's a sweet Gwynn... and nice catch on the difference in color of the foil. These are a few of my favorite things. :D To quote somebody or another from some really old movie from before I was born.

cgilmo said:

Yeah but... duh*.... There was more than one year/set of binders when my supposed perpetrator stole the binders. Snagged a 2003 Absolute binder, a binder of DKs, etc etc....

Now, I don't really know for positive what happened, as expressed in "My Understand of the Truth". (no Dark Tower fans?) But the SAMPLES you'll find like this are contained in a relatively small period of time, while spread out across multiple Donruss/Playoff sets. This is really something I've noticed.... find me one of these SAMPLES that is not 02-03 Donruss/Playoff, and I'll eat my hat. Which I coincidentally created today out of real cheese.

I have seen more than 1 copy of some cards, so I don't know if that's extra cool or shoots a hole in my theory. :? I've got 2 of each of these....

2002 Diamond Kings Gold Foil SAMPLE 40 (instead of #/100)
2002 Diamond Kings Silver Foil SAMPLE 40 (instead of #/400)

I got 2 of each of those from Ted TNTNorth....

DSC00824.jpg
DSC00825.jpg

Also, I'm going to add the pics of the backs of the cards in my earlier post. I didn't do it the first time because I thought that people wouldn't want to see it, but after reviewing the thread.... frack those people. There are people who DO want to see them.... I think. :?

*I know you're you, and you're the owner of the site I love, so.... NO OFFENSE!!!

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
These cards exist from 2001, 2002, & 2003, so go ahead and start munching on that hat.

The 2001 cards have "Sample" in a different font from 2002 & 2003.
The 2002 cards have "Sample" in gold and the 2003 cards have "Sample" in silver.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
RL24 said:
Damn bro, that's a sweet Gwynn... and nice catch on the difference in color of the foil. These are a few of my favorite things. :D To quote somebody or another from some really old movie from before I was born.

cgilmo said:

Yeah but... duh*.... There was more than one year/set of binders when my supposed perpetrator stole the binders. Snagged a 2003 Absolute binder, a binder of DKs, etc etc....

Now, I don't really know for positive what happened, as expressed in "My Understand of the Truth". (no Dark Tower fans?) But the SAMPLES you'll find like this are contained in a relatively small period of time, while spread out across multiple Donruss/Playoff sets. This is really something I've noticed.... find me one of these SAMPLES that is not 02-03 Donruss/Playoff, and I'll eat my hat. Which I coincidentally created today out of real cheese.

I have seen more than 1 copy of some cards, so I don't know if that's extra cool or shoots a hole in my theory. :? I've got 2 of each of these....

2002 Diamond Kings Gold Foil SAMPLE 40 (instead of #/100)
2002 Diamond Kings Silver Foil SAMPLE 40 (instead of #/400)

I got 2 of each of those from Ted TNTNorth....

DSC00824.jpg
DSC00825.jpg

Also, I'm going to add the pics of the backs of the cards in my earlier post. I didn't do it the first time because I thought that people wouldn't want to see it, but after reviewing the thread.... frack those people. There are people who DO want to see them.... I think. :?

*I know you're you, and you're the owner of the site I love, so.... NO OFFENSE!!!
those are cool samples
juan_picture.jpgjuan_picture.jpg
juan_picture.jpgjuan_picture.jpg

i feel sorry for a player collector that does not grab them. once the are gone that's it. yes there are only 3 complete sets made.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Jastermereel said:
These cards exist from 2001, 2002, & 2003, so go ahead and start munching on that hat.

The 2001 cards have "Sample" in a different font from 2002 & 2003.
The 2002 cards have "Sample" in gold and the 2003 cards have "Sample" in silver.
this is correct!

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Jastermereel said:

I'm so hungry. Unfortunately my proverbial cheese hat does not exist in the real world. And I'm too poor to buy the actual cheese.

Off to make some Ramen noodles. Goodnight everyone. :oops:

:lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts