Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did Ebay's shipping labels change sizes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
I just printed out a label and it's extremely small for some reason. I didn't change any printer options so I'm not sure what's going on. I don't know if I should use these because they're so small..

EDIT: Also clicked the "If your label prints too small, open the label window and click Print Label." and the exact same size label prints. I'm lost.

62541_1641604405121_1387143215_1774848_1157550_n.jpg

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
holy crap. i had this same problem. what fixed it for me was using IE. still prints small for firefox. not exactly a fix but if anyone knows why this happens, id like to know too.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
This happens to me at work. I use Firefox both at home and work. My home printer prints fine. So did my work computer up until about a month or 2 ago, then they started coming out small there. about 1/3 or the page. My home computer still prints full size though.

Its odd because the other stuff I print at work comes out full-size. Just when I print labels are they small.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
could your printer settings be set to "scale to xx%"?

I know I scale to 40-50% when I print boxscores out to get it on a full sheet and then when I go to print something else, some letter size pages come out smaller because my printer's scale setting was still set to 40-50%. When I change it back to 100% and reprint the letter size page, things are fine.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Would the label still work if it was small?

I basically stopped using size 000 mailers because it's very difficult to fit a full label on them...maybe a slightly smaller label would be beneficial in that regard.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I print small labels all the time and as long as they are readable they are still good.. I use 000 mailers all the time and print out at 70% so the labels look great..

Here are the steps I take...

print-1.jpg

print-2.jpg

print3.jpg

small-label.jpg

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
Is this not way more expensive than the post office? I realize you have to stand in line for a bit but if you have a lot to ship at once its not so bad.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
If you use Stamps.com or one of those other services, then yes because you pay a monthly fee. If you use eBay and Paypal Click and Ship, it's the same price and it's actually cheaper when using Delivery Confirmation (cheaper online than at the P.O).

ArtVandelay said:
Is this not way more expensive than the post office? I realize you have to stand in line for a bit but if you have a lot to ship at once its not so bad.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
Sean_C said:
If you use Stamps.com or one of those other services, then yes because you pay a monthly fee. If you use eBay and Paypal Click and Ship, it's the same price and it's actually cheaper when using Delivery Confirmation (cheaper online than at the P.O).

ArtVandelay said:

Thanks! I'll have to look into it.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
ArtVandelay said:
I used to think the same thing. I will never wait in line again at the PO after using ebay shipping.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
Erich said:
ArtVandelay said:
I used to think the same thing. I will never wait in line again at the PO after using ebay shipping.

I can't thank Phil Mason enough for convincing me to start using paypal shipping. It makes shipping SO easy. I use half sheet labels and they print out fine for me. They cover the whole front of a small bubble, but I don't think they look particularly unattractive, so I'll go with it. I used to try to cut them out, but that was a major hassle. Ideally I'd pony up the money for a thermal printer, labels fly out of it and there is no ink cost.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Erich said:
ArtVandelay said:

Yeah there's no reason to go to the post office..paypal shipping is usually cheaper and you don't have to go to the PO at all as long as there's a drop box somewhere near you.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
Well, a family member actually ended up changing the zoom % on the printer so that's what messed up my labels ::facepalm:: . I wonder why it's happening to others?

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
Sorta OT...

Is there a shipping thread somewhere on here? I got a redemption in the mail yesterday, and it got me to thinking...are bubble mailers really necessary for 1st class mail? Topps sends cards in top loader with semi rigid cardboard envelope. I was thinking of switching to coin envelopes (slightly smaller than #000 mailer) on singles - so they are less than 1/4" thick -which saves both the cost of the mailer and it goes for $.88 I believe instead of 1.39 In my conversations with the PO, he doesnt think they would be damaged in 1st class, so the bubble mailer is really useless. Can anyone give me an example of where a bubble mailer would "save" the card from damage? I am refering to mainly one or 2 cards each in top loaders.

BTW I dont ever team bag and stick in a bubble mailer. Cant tell you how many bad corners I get (even if they sandwich b/w 2 top loaders, a corner always seems to find its way out). Are people ok with hinge cases taped shut?

Thoughts?

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
I still can use 000 for large envolope ($0.88) but I don't try to use it to much because I can't get delivery conformation on it. I try to always use eBay/paypal shipping and use adhesive labels so I can just peel and stick!

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
mlbfan10 said:
I still can use 000 for large envolope ($0.88) but I don't try to use it to much because I can't get delivery conformation on it. I try to always use eBay/paypal shipping and use adhesive labels so I can just peel and stick!

PO gives me d/c on #000 but it is usually $2.19 total ($1.39 + $.80 d/c)

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
Yea what I'm saying is you can ask for "large envolope" which is $0.88 and you can't get DC with it but you can use a 000. If you use paypal for most baseball cards you can ship out for 1 ounce and it cost $1.41 and get DC. So def the best option out there right now IMO.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
mlbfan10 said:
If you use paypal for most baseball cards you can ship out for 1 ounce and it cost $1.41 and get DC. So def the best option out there right now IMO.

Yes on this - plus when you use paypal you have the convenience of having the DC # and fact that it was shipped automatically logged into ebay and paypal - it links to your items, references it if a case against you is opened and so on and so forth.

If you do any kind of volume sales on ebay one of the true nightmares is record keeping and this eliminates stacks of DC slips.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
You will definitely want to switch to Click and Ship then, as you pay a lot less for D/C.

I created the following a few months back to display the costs for what I refer to as "bullet-proof" shipping. Feel free to use it as a template, and tweak it however you want to try to cut costs:

=============================
Here is my breakdown of shipping costs:

case of 500 #000 mailers $42.90 $0.0858 per mailer
case of 1000 top loads $52.00 $0.0520 per holder
pack of 100 cardboard (2 per cardboard) $8.50 $0.0425 per cardboard envelope
case of 10000 penny sleeves $48.29 0.0048 per penny sleeve
case of 1000 labels (2 per label) $38.50 0.0193 per label
pack of 100 team set bags $2.00 0.0200 per bag

$0.224379 is the total cost for materials for shipping out 1 standard card. I'm ignoring costs of packing peanuts, as I reuse the ones I get from items shipped to me (big items from amazon, newegg, etc., not ones from bubble mailers). If you don't have any, a bag of them will probably cost you $4.00, and last you the rest of your life.

USPS Click and Ship postage

$1.58 for a 2 oz. package with Delivery Confirmation

Total costs to ship out one normal standard card with all new materials and in a general "bullet-proof" professional way : $1.81. It used to be a bit cheaper, but oh well. Too much for you? Cut out the labels and the cardboard and save about 5 cents.

ArtVandelay said:
mlbfan10 said:

PO gives me d/c on #000 but it is usually $2.19 total ($1.39 + $.80 d/c)

Members online