Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Facsimilie autographs for Chrome

Do away with facsimilie signatures?

• Yes, do away with them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
After looking at Christian Friedrich's Chrome card, I am wondering how everyone would feel about doing away with the facsmilie autographs on Bowman Chrome cards? They could also insert some with the signature as a parall(sp, I know) like the ones in 2002.

The only problem I see with this is people selling IP autos as inserted autographs. Topps would just need to make sure they put certified autograph and a sticker on the back.

In case you haven't seen it here it is.

108e_1.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
They should definitely do away with the facsimile autographs throughout the Bowman line.

We really don't need to see a signature from a rookie contract of rookies, and especially not of veterans...Vlad Guerrero anyone?

I also believe that any rookie that is a chrome autograph, should have a non-autographed parallel - sort of an A/B version. Both will be considered part of the set, but it allows for additional potential quality base rookies.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
sportscardtheory said:
Why fix what isn't broken...

Isn't broken? If they are going to do facsimile autos, they should at least update them. Or make sure to actually put the facsimile auto on there, not just the players name.

172519071_tp.jpg
5abc_1.jpg

Or this one from 04 Draft

c59f_1.jpg
95fa_1.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
i43770 said:
sportscardtheory said:

Isn't broken? If they are going to do facsimile autos, they should at least update them. Or make sure to actually put the facsimile auto on there, not just the players name.

172519071_tp.jpg
That was Vlads signature back in the day....it has changed a lot.

G

scotty21690 said:
i43770 said:
sportscardtheory said:

172519071_tp.jpg

Don't they use the signature from their rookie contracts with Topps or something for these?

That makes sense in a lot of cases, like Spanish players. Because I'd say a lot of them can't speak much English when getting signed, let alone write it properly.

But I do think they should be UPDATED every once in a while, but not done away with.

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
Heck Yes! Ervin Santana still has "Johan Santana" as his fascimile signature. I guess he must've signed his rookie contract before he changed his name.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
bigalexx said:
Heck Yes! Ervin Santana still has "Johan Santana" as his fascimile signature. I guess he must've signed his rookie contract before he changed his name.
Santana is a bizarre case as I am not sure when he signed his contract with Topps. He changed his name before the 2003 season, and his first Topps card was in 2004.

FYI, These are from 2002...the last season he was known as "Johan"...

santana_kernels_auto.jpg
IP autograph from the 2002 Kernels team set

santana_ball.jpg
IP autograph on a foul game ball he pitched

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Sam Banks said:
scotty21690 said:
i43770 said:
sportscardtheory said:

172519071_tp.jpg

Don't they use the signature from their rookie contracts with Topps or something for these?

That makes sense in a lot of cases, like Spanish players. Because I'd say a lot of them can't speak much English when getting signed, let alone write it properly.

But I do think they should be UPDATED every once in a while, but not done away with.

Why do people keep using this argument that holds no water? They letters in Spanish and English are exactly the same (except for a select minority, but even those are very very similar.) You're name doesn't change just because you are in an English speaking country. If I went to Mexico, I would sign my name exactly the way that I sign it here.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
cowboysrule48 said:
Why do people keep using this argument that holds no water? They letters in Spanish and English are exactly the same (except for a select minority, but even those are very very similar.) You're name doesn't change just because you are in an English speaking country. If I went to Mexico, I would sign my name exactly the way that I sign it here.
What should have been said is that the vast majority of the players signed from Latin America are extremely uneducated and often times cannot read and write fluently even in Spanish.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
I like them in Bowman. Bowman is "home of the rookie card" and this is a small tie to their beginnings in professional baseball.

Now, when they started doing it in Topps... I extremely hated it.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
if there were enough opinions on this

I gotta think topps might look at changing something, I am sure they are reading.

:D

One thing I don't like about a lot of cards today is that the photography is often hidden. All companies have been doing this with either circle photos(IE Razor) or tiny pictures. I know sometimes you have to focus on the autograph but I feel the picture could still be bigger. Some of the photos are great and I just feel the facsimile hides it. People are going to buy there guy no matter what really, but a average collector at a shop might like the design and buy more. I have done this before with other products. The facsimile signatures I feel just takes away from the overall appearence.

Maybe make all the cards with out the signature and then maybe a green refractor with a facsimile numbered relatively low? Maybe make it a box loader for Bowman with Chrome since that is mostly a tough sell anyway?

Also since we are talking about card aesthetics, I would love to see the etching brought back. Also I might be alone on this but I liked the black border over the white ones.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ryanhoward06 said:
cgilmo said:
if there were enough opinions on this

I gotta think topps might look at changing something, I am sure they are reading.

:D

One thing I don't like about a lot of cards today is that the photography is often hidden. All companies have been doing this with either circle photos(IE Razor) or tiny pictures. I know sometimes you have to focus on the autograph but I feel the picture could still be bigger. Some of the photos are great and I just feel the facsimile hides it. People are going to buy there guy no matter what really, but a average collector at a shop might like the design and buy more. I have done this before with other products. The facsimile signatures I feel just takes away from the overall appearence.

Maybe make all the cards with out the signature and then maybe a green refractor with a facsimile numbered relatively low? Maybe make it a box loader for Bowman with Chrome since that is mostly a tough sell anyway?

Also since we are talking about card aesthetics, I would love to see the etching brought back. Also I might be alone on this but I liked the black border over the white ones.

Yeah, I like the etching too. I think the pictures are fine on bowman. Although, I do think sterling could use some help in making their photos larger or less like the landscape versions with the tiny picture a few years back (I think 05).

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I'd have to agree with keeping them. Topps has been doing the facsimilie thing since they're inception so I don't think they're about to change anytime soon.

Speaking of they're inception, I really LIKE THIS CARD with it's facsimilie auto!