Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors, what's the ultimate card of your guy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Player collectors, what do you think is the single, ultimate card of your guy to own? For newer guys like Strasburg, I assume it may be a 1/1 rookie, making the choice simple, but with veterans it is likely to vary among players and from collector to collector. This can be any card, whether in your possession or not. Also, it doesn't have to be the most expensive logo or barrel card out there, it can also be an iconic card which defines that player.

The reason I ask is because I was thinking about what would be "the" O'Neill card, and I was unable to come up with an answer. His rookie (or RC buyback auto) is what came to my mind first, but his RC is far from iconic and he was far more famous as a Yankee. And among his Yankees cards, I would have a difficult time picking just one, nothing really jumps out at me. I wanted to see what some of you would choose.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Well, I'll put in my 2 cents for who I religiously collect.
Cal Ripken.
No crazy superfractors or red refractor autos to worry about.
Besides rare high graded minor league issues, there aren't too many cards that would fetch $1K or more.
A few barrels and logoman cards have in fact sold for far less then $1k.

I don't own any minor league issued yet, so to me, it has to be this:

1998DonrussCrusadeRed003-025.jpg

Without a doubt an iconic card that would easily bring $1K+ any day of the week, if you are lucky to EVER find one.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
The Red Crusade is definitely an ultimate card for any player, especially when it sells for that much. Wow, I don't think any card of O'Neill would ever fetch four figures.

I am not a Ripken expert like you, but I would guess there were a lot of Ripken cards which sold for $1000+ back in the day, but very few have probably retained their value. I bet once upon a time his 1992(?) Elite auto was expensive but with his auto becoming more common, prices have fallen. That is a good way of looking at it.

It is easy to pick the ultimate card for each category (auto, GU, insert, rookie, parallel,...) but to choose just one single card from all the categories combined is very difficult. Like you said, Ripken's minor league cards are also very rare and should be considered. I guess at that point it is personal preference.

Just realized I posted this thread in the trade section. :oops: Could one of the mods please move it to the Baseball talk area.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Great topic! I think in general there's one that "average joes" might think is the ultimate card and another, different ultimate card that established collectors would prefer.

I'd think the card(s) established collectors prefer would be the most valuable in part because established collectors spend a lot more than the average joes.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Anybody who would choose a Red Crusade Ripken over his Orange Border Minor League card is braindead.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
uniquebaseballcards - I think it is interesting to see what people choose, whether it is a RC, auto, or tough insert. And whether there is a consensus, or if collectors choose a personal high-end whale they have been chasing as their ultimate.

Jastermereel said:
Anybody who would choose a Red Crusade Ripken over his Orange Border Minor League card is braindead.

I would say you can argue against it because he isn't in a MLB uniform and for most players minor league cards aren't valued as highly as licensed cards.

What would you pick for Rivera? 1996 Leaf Signature Auto?

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
The Ultimate Josh Beckett card is one that I have not, nor will probably ever, see. It is the:

1999 Ultimate Victory 1 of 1 Parallel

I tried to go through my collection and pick the ultimate card that I own, but I can't do it.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
nevermore said:
uniquebaseballcards - I think it is interesting to see what people choose, whether it is a RC, auto, or tough insert. And whether there is a consensus, or if collectors choose a personal high-end whale they have been chasing as their ultimate.

Jastermereel said:

I would you can argue against it because he isn't in a MLB uniform and for most players minor league cards aren't valued as highly as licensed cards.

What would you pick for Rivera? 1996 Leaf Signature Auto?

I can't really pick one. He doesn't really have a defining card.

thebradau

Sep 16, 2008
i collect clete thomas - a somewhat unknown tigers player. for me, and i know this is odd, my card of choice is any of the 2005 JUST autos of his. While these cards don't really carry much value, they are special to me as I was sitting with him as he signed them. we were eating lunch and he explained all the "particulars" that JUST sent him in order to be paid properly for his efforts. It was pretty cool to get one of those cards and remember: "oh yeah!"

I offered to sign a few, but it was against the stipulations....

RANGERS25

Jan 23, 2009
that one is easy for me, but i cant wait until there are patch auto cards, more 1/1's and bat barrels.
JULIOBORBONBOWMANCHROMESUPERFRACTOR.jpg

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Russ S. said:
Well, I'll put in my 2 cents for who I religiously collect.
Cal Ripken.
No crazy superfractors or red refractor autos to worry about.
Besides rare high graded minor league issues, there aren't too many cards that would fetch $1K or more.
A few barrels and logoman cards have in fact sold for far less then $1k.

I don't own any minor league issued yet, so to me, it has to be this:

1998DonrussCrusadeRed003-025.jpg

Without a doubt an iconic card that would easily bring $1K+ any day of the week, if you are lucky to EVER find one.

That's a beautiful card - great, no doubt. I'm not a Ripken expert but I always think of his UD 3000 Hit Auto as being up there as one of his best - last one broke $2300. I know my bid wasn't even close on that one.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
As a low-budget Sosa collector it would almost be any autograph. From my collection, it is this (not necessarily my FAVORITE, but the "ultimate" in my collection):

normal_sosaautograph.jpg
21/21

If I could ever afford one, his APOH 500 HR Club bat GU might change that.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Could one of the mods please move this thread over to the Hobby Talk, Baseball forum.

Keep the responses coming. Yes, for some players there is no obvious choice and varies according to each collector, but for others like Beckett and Borbon, it pretty clear cut.

RANGERS25 - Makes it even sweeter that you own it!
thebradau - It's very cool that you were present during the signing, not many others can claim that.
Jastermereel - I am unsure of Rivera, but if he had an autographed version of this card, it would be the ultimate for me. 1999 World Series GU card for which he was the WS MVP.

img012.jpg

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Jastermereel said:
Did I say that?
Usually when the words, besides...blah blah blah, is in front of key words, HIGH GRADED RARE MINOR LEAGUE Card...again which I don't own, it's for a reason.

I would take a PSA 10 of a good portion of his Minor League cards over the Red. There are probably less then 10 cards that bring $1k+ like the Red.
But, in my collection, it's the Red.

Hope I broke it down to your level now. But again, I may not be explaining it too well, since I'm brain dead.

Buynhisellnlow said:
That's a beautiful card - great, no doubt. I'm not a Ripken expert but I always think of his UD 3000 Hit Auto as being up there as one of his best - last one broke $2300. I know my bid wasn't even close on that one.
The UD 3000 Hit Dual GU Auto /8 is definitely one of the handful of cards that rivals as being top dog and easily passes $1k. I was out of the bidding early as well. I'd love to see a Red actually at auction.

FrogsRGreat

Mar 30, 2010
Big Blue Nation!!!
For myself, I'd have to go with this one:

2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Gold Refractors #44 Joey Votto

As for the Ultimate card of his, that I own:

2010 Finest Red Refractor #'d/25
mhmxt.jpg

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Russ S. said:
Jastermereel said:
Did I say that?
Usually when the words, besides...blah blah blah, is in front of key words, HIGH GRADED RARE MINOR LEAGUE Card...again which I don't own, it's for a reason.

I would take a PSA 10 of a good portion of his Minor League cards over the Red. There are probably less then 10 cards that bring $1k+ like the Red.
But, in my collection, it's the Red.

Hope I broke it down to your level now. But again, I may not be explaining it too well, since I'm brain dead.

Buynhisellnlow said:
The UD 3000 Hit Dual GU Auto /8 is definitely one of the handful of cards that rivals as being top dog and easily passes $1k. I was out of the bidding early as well. I'd love to see a Red actually at auction.

He said "to own" not what you own. But thanks for breaking it down.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
nevermore said:
....but with veterans it is likely to vary among players and from collector to collector. This can be any card, whether in your possession or not. Also, it doesn't have to be the most expensive logo or barrel card out there, it can also be an iconic card which defines that player.

Jastermereel said:
He said "to own" not what you own. But thanks for breaking it down.

Guess us brain deads don't read well either along with our poor taste and lack of knowledge on what we like and actually collect.

Happy collecting to you J. It's always a pleasure.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
The mods must be snoozing. Could someone please move this over to Hobby Talk Baseball section? :?:

I'd love to get more responses.

Members online

Latest posts