Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Goodbye Civic/Mellon Arena

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
the Pittsburgh Sports and Exhibition Authority unanimously voted to demolish the Civic/Mellon Arena this morning. stating that it will cost more money to keep the building as some people have suggested needs to be done. as much as I will miss seeing the Igloo sitting there on the Hill it's time has passed and it's time to move on. I have a ton of great memories from the Civic Arena but it needs to go.

Board votes to demolish Civic Arena
Thursday, September 16, 2010
By Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Civic Arena is headed for demolition.

The city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority voted unanimously this morning to proceed with steps necessary to raze the 49-year-old landmark to make way for a Penguins-led redevelopment.

The decision came despite last-ditch pleas by preservationists, led by the group Reuse the Igloo, to save the old building.

The vote occurred without any discussion from board members, prompting shouts of "Gestapo" from one member of the audience.

Mary Conturo, SEA executive director, said the agency now will start removing asbestos from the building and prepare bids for demolition, which could be ready by February.

mellonarena2.jpg

Pensfanaddict

Jun 6, 2010
WOW! That will truly be a sad day. I have seen NHL games in several arenas.....The Igloo by far was my favorite. It provided a much more intimate feel to the game. :cry:

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
it will definitely be a sad day when they finally do take the building down but it has served it's purpose and I would hate to see the building left standing and start to fall apart like Buffalo did with the Aud.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts