Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Backing out of a pre-sale from Global Sportscards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pikeman80

Jul 1, 2010
Irvine, CA
I placed a $150 deposit on a case of 2010 Bowman Chrome when it was first pre-sold and needless to say the price has come down a lot more than $150. Has anyone experienced any repercussions from not completing a pre-sale from them. Are there any repercussions other than letting them keep my deposit. There website does not say what happens if you do not complete the sale. I am under the assumption that the $150 is all you have to lose if you dont buy the product from them.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
pikeman80 said:
I placed a $150 deposit on a case of 2010 Bowman Chrome when it was first pre-sold and needless to say the price has come down a lot more than $150. Has anyone experienced any repercussions from not completing a pre-sale from them. Are there any repercussions other than letting them keep my deposit. There website does not say what happens if you do not complete the sale. I am under the assumption that the $150 is all you have to lose if you dont buy the product from them.

Classy

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I would email them and ask if they can adjust the price. Can't hurt to ask.

Worst thing they can say is no.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
If the price would have shot through the roof would you let them back out of selling it to you at the original price?

pikeman80

Jul 1, 2010
Irvine, CA
I guess the question is if with the $150 you are essentially purchasing an option to buy a product at a fixed price (and if you don't buy it you let the option expire) or is the $150 a contract with the dealer to buy the product at that price and if you fail to do so they could sue you for breach of contract. From a legal perspective it would appear to be more of an option (no contract was signed) but there is an ethical consideration.

The middle ground would be to purchase the product at the current pre-sale price from them and at the same time forfeiting your $150 deposit. If I am the dealer and facing this type of situation, I would probably offer to sell at the current price with some credit for their deposit.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
WJCIII said:
If the price would have shot through the roof would you let them back out of selling it to you at the original price?

+1

The reason for Pre-sells is to lock in at the price at that time. There is a chance they can go up, but there is also a chance they can go down.

No wonder people have so much distrust for dealers and others in cards anymore.

Everyone thought cases and boxes were all going to skyrocket like Bowman did, so everybody loaded up on everything. Since they didn't, people want out and think its perfectly fine.

You have every right to ask, beg, plead, forfeit your deposit, cancel, whatever. In my opinion, it makes you seem like a total ******.

As far as legally, it depends on who you bought it from and what their policy is.Good luck on your decision.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
For the people saying it's not a classy move to back out...that's not true at all.

He made a $150 deposit. All this means is the dealer gets $150 absolutely for free. He still will keep the case. It's the buyer's decision...if he wants to flush $150 down the toilet, so be it.

Asking about a price adjustment is a good idea though.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Totally agree that he, and everyone else, has the right to flush the deposit if they want.

My feeling is that it's totally classless due to the reasoning.

If there is a legit reason, like someone lost their job and can't afford the balance, and would rather pay bills instead of go through with the deal, that's one thing. Or they were in an accident and now have medical bills, etc.

To blatantly admit that they want out because the price didn't explode like they hoped is indeed, classless.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
Its a deposit so if you want to forfeit it you can. But why does everyone think that Bowman Chrome is going to suck?? Everyone bought in because of the Strasburg hype and it is still there plus there is added bonuses in Chrome this year. I think you should stick with the order and flip it as it looks like it will go up in price. I think it will be better then throwing your 150 away.

pikeman80

Jul 1, 2010
Irvine, CA
I never said i didn't want to buy the product because the price didn't go up. My supposition is that if I can buy the case now for less that I would have to pay including the deduction for my deposit, would I still want to do it. especially if you consider the $150 to be an option to buy and not a commitment. In this case, it turns out I misremembered the price (i thought my pre-sell price was $1080 which would have been $250 off the current price). My price is only about $50 higher than the current price which is fine and I will continue with my purchase (along with the 4 boxes that I paid $92 each) at the very beginning of the craze.

Still I think it is an interesting debate

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
I'm not sure of the law governing deposits, but to me it's an agreement in good faith to purchase the product at a set price. To me if the consumer has a change of heart BEFORE the product is delivered he has the right to back out. It's covered under the "cooling off" period and should get his money back, or at least credit towards another product. But don't expect them to deal with you again with presells.

This happens to my LCS all the time. He'll order lets say 3 cases of Bowman jumbo like this yr. Demand was high and he only received 3 BOXES. Take it or leave it. So basically his deposit covered the 3 boxes and his supplier turned around and sold HIS boxes at a greater profit.

Point is without a signed contract there's alot of gray area and wiggle room...good or bad.

Just mho.

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
LOL - You're the last person that should determine if someone is Classy

Jastermereel said:
pikeman80 said:

Classy

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
pikeman80 said:
Still I think it is an interesting debate

A: It's not a debate.

Look the word up, this topic is far from a debate.

B: It's not interesting either.

You want out and you want us to tell you it's cool to do so. I hope Global doesn't take the bait you are throwing out here. Man up for the case or surrender your deposit like an honest fellow.

You put down an early deposit because you thought the price would go up. There is, literally, no other reason to put down a deposit on anything in life unless; you, the consumer, is under the impression that the price will rise. The price isn't going up, it's going down and you want out.

You are trying to publicly out Global to come in here and say they will reduce your price on your case.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
francisjniskey said:
LOL - You're the last person that should determine if someone is Classy

Jastermereel said:
pikeman80 said:

Classy

Yeah.... pot meet kettle. Good one Francine.

Latest posts