Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey/Canseco/Sandberg Collectors: What are these cards??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njlw226

Jul 13, 2009
Picked these up at a local card show today because I had never seen them before, and figured some of the super collectors might need these. They aren't numbered, have nothing on the back, and are made out of some type of metal, which I'm guessing is a thick aluminum. Based on the pictures I'm guessing they are from the early 90s. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the poor scans - had to shoot from my iPhone because I didn't think my scanner would scan these correctly.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I don't know anything about them, and I think I've seen one a few years ago from another collector. However, I may be interested in the Sandberg.

njlw226

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks guys, any of them are available because I got them for the Super Collectors who may not have them, but I'd love to figure out what in the world these things are first! I think they are definitely made from aluminum.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I honestly don't know but the picture is used on many a Broder card from the late 80's. Id definately be interested in trading for it just because its unique and I don't have anything like it in my PC.. let me know if we can work something out.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Is there any copyright date or information on the back of the cards? Maybe the printing plates for a Broder card?? I used to work at a card shop during the late 80's and 90's and I've never run across those. Clark was usually in all of those sets. No chance you saw one of Will at the same place did you??? I'd bid on those you have just out of rarity alone, very cool.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
In the mid to late 80s, Topps was putting out their metal cards in a nice huge plastic holder. These look like Broder cards that had the same "technology" done.

Unlicensed pretty aluminum cards. Worth whatever someone would pay.

njlw226

Jul 13, 2009
Clarkfan - there is nothing at all on the back...the backs are basically a dark gray color, almost black (I'm guessing the front would be the same, but the picture was somehow sanded or polished into the metal). Someone mentioned they could be Broder related, and I did some searching and noticed that the Griffey picture was on another Broder card.

I didn't see a Will Clark...just these three so I picked them up. I asked the dealer what they were and he said he's had them for about 5 years and no one has ever had any idea what they were. He picked them up when he purchased a larger collection.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
if you look on my website in the unlicensed photo gallery you can see the Canseco photo used on a few different broder cards for reference.. the ones that have this photo basically just have his name on the back of the card without any stats or wording.

Members online

Latest posts