Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1948 Ted Williams : Reprint or Original?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
found this and some other cards in a box of WW2 paperwork belonging to his grandfather

Sounds just like every other story associated with someone trying to sell a reprint. Having said that, I really dont know....

A_Pharis

matfanofold said:
found this and some other cards in a box of WW2 paperwork belonging to his grandfather

Sounds just like every other story associated with someone trying to sell a reprint. Having said that, I really dont know....

Turns out the guy knows my dad really well. Said he found other ones but williams is the only one he recognized. Just thought maybe someone here could use some decent sized pictures to see if there are signs of legitimacy. Guy seems simple enough -- like he's not on to just get money.

Says it was still in "a pack" in an envelope with WW2 papers and pictures.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Great looking card. I am not seeing many of the normal signs that point to an aged reprint. If he still has the pack wrapper (at least it sounds like he does) I would love to see that and the rest of the cards!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
A_Pharis said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Too dark...reprint.

Mike,

!B2L5+Qg!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!jQE)pwU,lNVBMhdKk8yK!~~_3.jpg

That one seems just as dark with color. I know the seller changed some contrast for this pic, but the colors still seem pretty vivid.
True. I'm looking primarily at the contrast on the forehead and the scan/photo just seems to not have enough contrast.

Regardless, if real, it's in great shape, minus the stain at the top and common OC.

A_Pharis

I'm communicating back and forth with him, and am going to try to get him to find a way to get it authenticated. If I can get a pic of the wrapper, I'd be willing to buy it from him if he'd let it go for $200 or so considering it'd need to be graded to get real money.

I'll post if he can get me a pic of the pack it was in or any of the other cards.

A_Pharis

mchenrycards said:
Great looking card. I am not seeing many of the normal signs that point to an aged reprint. If he still has the pack wrapper (at least it sounds like he does) I would love to see that and the rest of the cards!

He said it was "still in a pack with other cards". I'm trying to get a pic of the pack and cards.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Some of you guys just guess....

IMO, Its an authentic card. about EX, and worth in the est. $1000-$1500 range

The set is 1949 Leaf (not 1948)

The things to look for on the 1949 Leaf cards...

Most reprint 1949 Leafs you see will be the Ruth, then the Paige and Robinson........... I cant remember seeing a Williams.

The name is the same color as the border, the registration of the different colors are slightly off especially along the border where they meet (ie lower left edge red and blue, bat edges, etc.)

The only fakes that would have the same characteristics of an authentic card is the Homemade ones made from scans of an authentic card. but these would/should be easy to spot in person, as they are just inkjet printed copies with front and back glued together.
Your scans are good enough to see this is not the case.

PS what were the "some other cards" he had, what sets???

Members online