Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

has a pitcher ever worn a single digit uniform number?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
cant remember any.. is it a superstition or something? saw clay bucholtz's #11 and it looked odd, i think its the lowest ive seen

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":2ckf4tu9]babe ruth

Ruth didn't wear a number when he pitched; nobody did.[/quote:2ckf4tu9]

This is funny because I was listening to the radio and there was a contest question that asked

"What number did Ty Cobb wear when he played major league baseball?"

at least 50 people called in and never got it. I finally called in and got my 2 free tickets to the Zac Brown Band concert.

just thought i would share for no reason other than Im bored.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":1dl6xmae]babe ruth

Ruth didn't wear a number when he pitched; nobody did.[/quote:1dl6xmae]

the question wasn't did he wear a number when he pitched...it was "has a pitcher EVER worn a single digit uniform number"...

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
hofautos said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":1azt92tj]babe ruth

Ruth didn't wear a number when he pitched; nobody did.

the question wasn't did he wear a number when he pitched...it was "has a pitcher EVER worn a single digit uniform number"...[/quote:1azt92tj]

Ruth didn't have a number until 1927, far after he last pitched. He never pitched with #3 on his back.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
bodiaz said:
hofautos said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":2ryrvihk]babe ruth

the question wasn't did he wear a number when he pitched...it was "has a pitcher EVER worn a single digit uniform number"...

Ruth didn't have a number until 1927, far after he last pitched. He never pitched with #3 on his back.[/quote:2ryrvihk]

But Babe Ruth was a pitcher at one point and at one point he wore #3.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
David Wells briefly wore #3 as a Red Sock.

When numbers were first worn, they were done so based on batting order, so Ruth got 3 for his spot on the batting chart. Or, they were given because of the player's position of #1 was first base, #2 was second base, etc. I've heard both ways.

Pitchers got to grab the remaining numbers, which were higher. It just kind of became common place for pitchers to start taking higher numbers.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
bodiaz said:
hofautos said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":3mkklk93]babe ruth

Ruth didn't have a number until 1927, far after he last pitched. He never pitched with #3 on his back.[/quote:3mkklk93]
He last pitched in 1933.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Another big reason that many don't have a single digit is that there is a pretty large amount of single digits from many teams that are retired for the greats of old.

I forgot about another single digit jersey pitcher - John Smiley of the Pittsburgh Pirates, although I doubt many of you recognize the name.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":dm9t6k97]babe ruth

the question wasn't did he wear a number when he pitched...it was "has a pitcher EVER worn a single digit uniform number"...[/quote:dm9t6k97]

I see now that I clearly didn't understand the question.

You see, I once pitched two innings in a little league game (it wasn't pretty).

I had #4 on my freshman dorm basketball team's t-shirt (slightly prettier).

So the answer is clearly yes.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
bodiaz said:
hofautos said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":qgzx9rvc]babe ruth

Ruth didn't have a number until 1927, far after he last pitched. He never pitched with #3 on his back.
He last pitched in 1933.[/quote:qgzx9rvc]

This is more like it!

I had no idea that Ruth pitched CGs in both 1930 and 1933. Very cool.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Mighty Bombjack said:
hofautos said:
[quote="Mighty Bombjack":6g4ggpg4][quote="Johan Santana 57":6g4ggpg4]babe ruth

the question wasn't did he wear a number when he pitched...it was "has a pitcher EVER worn a single digit uniform number"...[/quote:6g4ggpg4]

I see now that I clearly didn't understand the question.

You see, I once pitched two innings in a little league game (it wasn't pretty).

I had #4 on my freshman dorm basketball team's t-shirt (slightly prettier).

So the answer is clearly yes.[/quote:6g4ggpg4]

100% correct. :lol:

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Babe Ruth wore 3, David Wells wore #3 as well when he played with Boston in honor of Ruth.

beside Drabek's #4, there are have been a few others... ie.

Atlee Hammaker wore #7 for some of his SF career
John Smiley wore #5 with Pittsburgh
Josh Towers wore #7 with Toronto and Colorado
Jeff Juden wore #7 with Cleveland
Wayne Gomes #2 with SF
etc. etc.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Card Magnet said:

When numbers were first worn, they were done so based on batting order, so Ruth got 3 for his spot on the batting chart. Or, they were given because of the player's position of #1 was first base, #2 was second base, etc. I've heard both ways.

Pitchers got to grab the remaining numbers, which were higher. It just kind of became common place for pitchers to start taking higher numbers.

Did you know they also did color code too? Red was 1st base.. blue was second... Though I think it was pre 1900...They got a lot of flack for making baseball look like a carnival. LOL

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
fkw said:
Babe Ruth wore 3, David Wells wore #3 as well when he played with Boston in honor of Ruth.

beside Drabek's #4, there are have been a few others... ie.

Atlee Hammaker wore #7 for some of his SF career
John Smiley wore #5 with Pittsburgh
Josh Towers wore #7 with Toronto and Colorado
Jeff Juden wore #7 with Cleveland
Wayne Gomes #2 with SF
etc. etc.
Just a side note - As a Yankee, Wells wore one of Babe Ruth's old caps onto the field when he was pitching for an inning, and was directed to not wear it. He wore 33 since the Yanks wouldn't let him have 3 (obviously).

bongo870 said:
Card Magnet said:

Did you know they also did color code too? Red was 1st base.. blue was second... Though I think it was pre 1900...They got a lot of flack for making baseball look like a carnival. LOL
I didn't know that part of it. That's pretty funny :lol: .

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
in the minor leagues, yes.

Just in 2010, Josh Towers wore #4 before he was released with the Isotopes and Seth Etherton wore #8 for the Isotopes.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I hardly know anything about the number game in football, so don't flag me, but I never understood why the QB had to have a low #, the WR were in the 80's or 10's, the LB in the 50's, etc...just didn't make sense to me. If the # is available that you want, why not take it?

Latest posts