Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What the hell is the singular version of "Red Sox"?

Which is it?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
The question is how you would go about describing a singular player from the Boston Red Sox. Is he a Red Sox? Or is he a Red Sock? One looks right and sounds horribly wrong...the other sounds right and looks horribly wrong.

This has bothered me for a long time. What's the answer?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
technically, the singular is sock (since "sox" is defined as the plural of "sock").

In terms of the MLB team, I voted sox for both singular and plural because it might actually be more of an adjective describing the noun; such as an example using "player" as the noun --- "dustin pedroia is my favorite red sox player" or "a few red sox players are pedroia, adrian beltre and bill hall.".

I"m having a tough time trying to think how to use "red sox" in a noun situation other than maybe "pedroia is my favorite red sox" or "pedroia, beltre, hall are red sox" but those uses are probably less common than as an adjective.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
darocker80 said:
Hmm i have seen people on the board "type" Red Sock player

who exactly on the internet types things following the AP styleguide. ;)

I'll have to see if my library has a AP styleguide in it (or online access to it) and if so, if they talk about the styling for "red sox" or "white sox".

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
According to linguist Steven Pinker, non-regular plural terms - such as those that are pluralized without an "s" - do not contrast in singularity. Therefore, "My favorite Red Sox is Ted Williams" is correct; the plural version, " My Red Sox have a bright future" is identical."

Mr. Pinker uses bahuvrihi compounds for his conclusion - justification.

Latest posts